Nation - No plot spoilers

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sep 10, 2008
kent
I am a long standing Pratchett reader, been on board right from the start of the disc.

I just wanted to say, (being a thick skinned 38 year old cynical git usually)

Until I read Nation, I never cried while reading a book. Until 'Today' (the chapter)

brilliant, haunting, and profoundly moving book, maybe my favorite so far.

camlost.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site! I've also been a fan from the start and have been amazed that Terry just keeps getting better. I can't wait to get my teeth stuck into Nation. It's sitting there, but I have to finish this other book first. o_O

Aries

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
Birmingham
I couldn't agree more Nation is excellent i'm about a third of the way through and it will be a shame to finish it. Charlottes Web is one of the three books that make me cry no matter how many times i read them, the other two are Goodnight Mister Tom and The Green Mile.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I got a lump in my throat during some parts of The Book Thief and I can't remember this myself but apparently I cried when Artax(sp?) died in The Never Ending Story (film). I do remember wishing I had a horse like Artax, which in my mind is still greater than Shadowfax or any other horse (including the one Cohen nicked in Troll Bridge).

As for Pratchett, sometimes I laugh so hard it forces tears out. Does that count?

I'm not finished Nation yet, but there's a bit I'm at that has me on edge.

silverstreak

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
Llanelli,Wales
Jinx said:
I got a lump in my throat during some parts of The Book Thief and I can't remember this myself but apparently I cried when Artax(sp?) died in The Never Ending Story (film). I do remember wishing I had a horse like Artax, which in my mind is still greater than Shadowfax or any other horse (including the one Cohen nicked in Troll Bridge).

As for Pratchett, sometimes I laugh so hard it forces tears out. Does that count?

I'm not finished Nation yet, but there's a bit I'm at that has me on edge.
Surely Jinx,you're forgetting Binky.
These latest jottings from the master are damn good aren't they.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
silverstreak said:
Surely Jinx,you're forgetting Binky.
I just don't trust that horse. A horse's hooves belong firmly on the ground. Not because they know they should be, but because they shouldn't know they don't have to be! :|

Sep 22, 2008
Hampshire
Nation

I've been a TP fan since "The Colour of Magic" and have met Terry on a couple of occasions at book signings. I have long admired his insight and perception of everything that makes up our world and how they would have to be on the DiscWorld.

"Nation" is so different. Considering that this is a children's book, it tackles some huge and often very sensitive subjects head on. In fact, I suspect that there will be some adults who will find it challenges their acquired beliefs and understanding, which is no bad thing.

There is sufficient humour there, placed expertly to offset some of the horror and pain, to make the story eminently readable and one of those stories you cannot put down.

I shall read it for a second and probably a third and fourth time.

I think this may be one of Terry's Great Books.

User Menu

Newsletter