New book coming out

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Another new book edition of Guards, Guards coming out looks very expensive.
Dunmanifestin will also be publishing a beautiful leather-bound edition of the Paul Kidby Illustrated Guards! Guards! Each book will be foil-embossed with metallic page edges and presented in a clamshell box containing an eclectic folio of Guards! Guards! ephemera. details on Amazon
Product details

• Hardcover: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Gollancz (3 Sept. 2020)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1473230713
  • ISBN-13: 978-1473230712
New Edition.jpg

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Good Lord! Those runes are definitely Viking. The cover puts me in mind of a Hobbit knock-off. I think I'll wait until we know more details (e.g. how much etc.)

It looks very cool, but I'd be wary of the price ... :(

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
The Illustrated Guards! Guards! Dunmanifestin Editi

Format: Deluxe boxed hardbac

Page Count: TBC

Publisher: Dunmanifestin

305 x 230mm

Publication date 1.10.20

Limited to 1000 copies

Nice book but I don't think I will be buying it a bit too pricey for me.
Details taken from Paul Kidby's website.

1582634402617.png

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I won't be bothering. To me the value of a book is what is written in it, not what it looks like.

However, should someone want to send me a copy gratis, I wouldn't complain.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Looks like they may be reprinting the individual Diaries as "Journals", just replacing the diary format with blank lines. It loses the original concept (which began with the UU student diary, if I recall correctly), but does make them more casually useful and not so incidentally prevents them from becoming limited to a single year. Journals can be reprinted as long as they sell.

@Tamar The Ankh-Morpork Archives are a reprint of the content of the diaries - I've just finished reading Vol 1 which contains text from the UU, Assassins, Thieves and Post Office diaries. It's pretty good to have this content reprinted, and the art pieces are larger than they were in the diaries.

These new journals from the Discworld Emporium are something different. I got the Death journal from last year. It's not a diary - it's mostly just some brand new art (by David Wyatt, IIRC), and some quotes from the books, with a lot of blank pages to be filled in as a journal (rather than as a diary). And although the art is lovely, a lot of it is repeated throughout the journal (I'd guess maybe 20 different pieces of art?) and to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the price tag they've attached to it. I'm presuming the City Watch Journal is along the same lines - some new art, some quotes, and a lot of empty pages...

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Well, crumbs. So it's just the Kidby cover and some new art, with a few quotes so they can put Sir Terry's name on it.. Thanks for the warning.
I think I may have seen some David Wyatt art. If he's the one I'm thinking of, I vaguely recall liking it.

One possible use for such a journal might be to write one's opinions of the relevant books.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Tony, I don't think it's meant to be "By Terry Pratchett". It's about the A-M City Watch, which was created by Terry. Subtle nuance. ;)

By the way, compare the "thoughtful" Vimes on this cover with the "man of action" Vimes on the cover of the previous diary. Difference? I think I like the previous cover better.

Hmm ... so this book is basically the earlier one plus some new arts and a few quotes? Sigh (especially since I've never seen the earlier one). :( Would it be better, then, to wait for "The Ankh-Morpork Archives, Volume 2"? ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tony, I don't think it's meant to be "By Terry Pratchett". It's about the A-M City Watch, which was created by Terry. Subtle nuance. ;)
Nicely explained Rath, but if it isn't meant to be 'by Terry Pratchett', then the publishers shouldn't claim that it is 'by Terry Pratchett'. Just like it says in Dug's post and on the publisher's website.

The Journals (Death and City Watch) don't feature Paul Kidby's Artwork. It's David Wyatt's artwork.

I guess they can list it as "by Terry Pratchett" because a) it's how the damn thing will sell and b) there are several quotes included which are, indeed, by Terry Pratchett.

Here's the Discworld Emporium page for last year's Death Journal:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/diaries-calendars/550-death-and-friends-a-discworld-journal

And the City Watch Journal:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/d...orld-journal-2021-the-ankh-morpork-city-watch

As you can see, there's some quotes and illustrations on some pages, and others are just an empty lined journal. It's got great art (although I am disappointed that some pieces are repeated throughout) but it's not really worth the AU$35 price tag to me.

User Menu

Newsletter