New Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Good to see this is indeed coming out.

Colin Smythe mentioned it in his article in the Nullus Anxietas V programme, but he'd written that article prior to Terry's death, and so I wasn't certain if publication would be cancelled or just delayed... it seems the latter!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm... so when is this coming out? I'm confused. The press release says August 2016; Amazon says 25 Aug 2016. Is Amazon more accurate? Or is it just speculation?

Also, I didn't get "Dragons at Crumbling Castle", because of the kiddie caveat. Now I'm wondering about it. I'm sure it's good, but I'm not sure if I (as a nearly-40-year-old-adult) would be too old for it? What's your view?

Re: New Pratchett book

I think the subject line is misleading - this is *not* a Discworld book, just a new book :)

Yes, the stories in Dragons at Crumbling Castle were aimed at younger children, but there's enough sly amusing humour in there to keep an adult interested - it's very broad (rather than subtle and clever) but it's there. Don't forget Terry wrote these stories for a newspaper column in the early 70's so they're also a little dated, and very much aimed at British children so told in that sort of style. At least two of the stories in Dragons tell of the Carpet People - these were starting points that Terry later turned into his novel - so if you didn't much like The Carpet People you probably won't like these stories either.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Surprisingly enough, “Dragons at Crumbling Castle” has been translated to Spanish (I still can’t believe it!! :dance: ) and I’ve just started it but… I love it! Rath, good books don’t have age, and Pratchett books even less! ;)

So good this sequel will be published on my birthday! What a good present! :laugh:

Mx

RathDarkblade said:
Hmm... so when is this coming out? I'm confused. The press release says August 2016; Amazon says 25 Aug 2016. Is Amazon more accurate? Or is it just speculation?

Also, I didn't get "Dragons at Crumbling Castle", because of the kiddie caveat. Now I'm wondering about it. I'm sure it's good, but I'm not sure if I (as a nearly-40-year-old-adult) would be too old for it? What's your view?
I got Dragons for Christmas 2014 and am still only 3/4 through, it's good and fun but due to the anthology nature of it I read it in bits at a time when I feel like it.

Plus it was hardback so can't take it anywhere like I like to do.

User Menu

Newsletter