next great writer?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Terry Pratchett will surely go down as one of the gretaest writers of the 20th and 21st centuries. In history he will go alongside Tolkien, Steinbeck and Blyton.
But does anyone know of any great immerging writers. What Im looking for is preferably fantasy, definately a series to keep us busy and something original, witty and exciting?
(kids series are fine but not preferable)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I'd vote for Julian May and her Saga of the Exiles (4 books); Intervention and Galactic Milieu (also 4 in all although the Milieu's a distinct series) - it's total SFF but the whole concept is so neat and intelligent and it has time travel and mind powers too! :laugh:

I'm also liking rereading Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle as well, especially as I've found there's 2 I haven't read - that's pure fantasy but it sits well in historical themes too. 5 books about King Arthur, Merlin and his da Taliesin :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Someone on here put me onto Christopher Moore, he's very good & funny. A. Lee Martinez is also good (they're both sort of monsters & demons).

Not fantasy, but a very good example of SciFi, is Ian M. Banks. Don't knock it til you've tried it!

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Iain M Banks and the pendragon series are both great. I hear that Christopher Moore is good aswell but I have not read him yet. Certainly will check out the other suggestions.
Personally I recomend the Dune books which are ancient but I only started recently.

Grymm

Constable
Dec 4, 2009
Chilterns
Have you tried Robert Rankins Brentford Trilogy, I know he's hardly new but if you like your stuff on the odd side of Fortean.........

Originality is a precious commodity, but if you don't mind your old fashioned fantasy tropes with new life breathed into them, then there are three British writers I'd recommend - two are just emerging, one has been around a while but is only now finding his voice. Joe Abercrombie and his First Law series, James Barclay and his Raven cycle and Stan Nicholls and his Orcs series. All of them write traditional action based fantasy novels, but add an earthiness and snappy dialogue that's so often missing in other High fantasy. Jane Lindskold is a touch more traditional than the three British writers I've mentioned, but her characters are engaging, her novels are tightly plotted and well paced and she has good ear for entertaining sarcasm, particularly in the Firekeeper series.

If you want something in a vaguely similar vein to the great Mr P., then there's not a great deal out there beyond the already mentioned Jasper Fforde and Robert Rankin, as well as Tom Holt and Robert Aspirin. Maybe try The Fallible Fiend by L. Sprague de Camp? that's really good fun.:) I also hear good things about Kim Newman, but I haven't had a chance to read his work yet.

If you don't mind a darker and more horror tinged edge to go along with some witty dialogue and fast paced action in a real world setting, then maybe give Mark Chadbourn or Christopher Fowler a try. Both of them are very good indeed, but don't rely on either of them for a happy ending.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Danny B said:
Originality is a precious commodity, but if you don't mind your old fashioned fantasy tropes with new life breathed into them, then there are three British writers I'd recommend - two are just emerging, one has been around a while but is only now finding his voice. Joe Abercrombie and his First Law series, James Barclay and his Raven cycle and Stan Nicholls and his Orcs series.
I only know about Dan Nicholls and his Orc series and have to agree with Danny. They are a good read and it is refreshing to get a topic based upon 'the other sides' perspective.

I'll keep an eye out for the other two authors when I next raid my local bookshop!

User Menu

Newsletter