next great writer?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 25, 2008
Newport
Tom Holt is a very good read but hardly new as he's published over 30 books. Only just discovered him myself and have enjoyed everything so far (9 books)
Jasper Fforde is also very good and would be considered a new author with only 8 novels under his belt.
Toby Frost amuses me and I think he's working on his 4th book.
Christopher Moore has a lot of dark humour and has about 10 books to his name

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
some of these books are and sound great, I'll try reading as many as I can out of those I havent read yet, but of course nobody could read all them.
Although I think we might still have to wait a few more years untill a writer as great and written as tarry Pratchett comes along again.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
theoldlibrarian said:
some of these books are and sound great, I'll try reading as many as I can out of those I havent read yet, but of course nobody could read all them.
Although I think we might still have to wait a few more years untill a writer as great and written as tarry Pratchett comes along again.

do you want to bet that somebody couldnt read them all :laugh: :laugh:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Bickaxe said:
Tom Holt is a very good read but hardly new as he's published over 30 books. Only just discovered him myself and have enjoyed everything so far (9 books)
Jasper Fforde is also very good and would be considered a new author with only 8 novels under his belt.
Are they all fantasy-books-writers? Or science-fiction? I don't know them, so I'd like a word about what they write...

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
CrysaniaMajere said:
Bickaxe said:
Are they all fantasy-books-writers? Or science-fiction? I don't know them, so I'd like a word about what they write...
Hopefully this won't spoil things too much

Tom Holt : Parodies the real world in the real world.
Examples are:
A magical practitioners based in London (I think they are in 6 books). They deal with dragons in bank vaults (pest control), effective magic (films and making people look better, most work comes form Hollywood) and varied other stuff.
God goes away on holiday with Jesus and leaves his other son (Kevin) on his own and chaos ensues (Only Human)
A bunch of lawyers that are not entirely human (no surprises there really) (Barking)

Jasper Fforde :
Set in an alternative version of Swindon, a literary detective (Thursday Next) who works for a division of the police investigating book crime. She finds she can actually go into the novels.
Nursery Crimes are about Detective Jack Spratt and his assistant Mary Mary solving crimes that have various nursery rhyme characters in them. Mainly set in Reading

Toby Frost: The British Empire...but in space.
Only read 1 so far as I can't find the others in bookshops here, but Space Captain Smith and his crew work for the New British Empire (or something like it). He's very gallant but always seems to find himself in trouble, his 2nd in command is an alien that is a little cannibalistic...some very silly stuff

Christopher Moore: In the real world of mostly Pine Cove, California featuring the supernatural. Most of his books are quite dark in humour but they have a lot of funny bits in.
Lamb: His best IMO. Its about the life of Jesus (Joshua) from the perspective of his best friend Biff (Levi). It covers the bit from age 10 to 20 ish with some hilarious encounters.
Practical Demonkeeping: An ex choir boy summons a demon that likes to eat people.
Bloodsucking Fiends: About vampires. read it in 1 night, very addictive
The Stupidest Angel: Set around Christmas, An angel appears...not a very bright angel....there are consequences.

Maybe someone else can do a better job of explaining them

User Menu

Newsletter