Obituaries...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I've noticed that, when people die, there's either a dedicated thread to them, or else we post it in the 'Headlines that Left You Speechless' thread. I've decided that we need a dedicated thread. So, I'll start with a death that may not affect many, but will certainly affect Whovians. I've posted this elsewhere, but I might as well start with this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Christopher-Barry

Christopher Barry may not be a name most of you have heard of, but you may have seen his work. He co-directed the first Dalek story of Doctor Who, the debuts of two Doctors (the sadly missing The Power of the Daleks for Patrick Troughton, and Robot for Tom Baker), as well as classics like The Daemons and The Brain of Morbius.

RIP. :(

Now, I know that there's another very recent celebrity death, so I'll let someone else post it...

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Can't manage an obituary but the hairs on the back of my neck prickled yesterday when I heard that Shirley Temple had handed in her tap shoes and shuffled off this mortal coil. My daughter and I had been watching an old M*A*S*H episode on Sunday night which included a sequence from a Temple movie and I'd been explaining about how huge a star she'd been. Not that I was a fan. She was before my time too! I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about her political career as an adult and next to nothing about her infant acting career, but I'm sure that she brought joy to many and will be sorely missed.
Rest in peace, Shirley.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
We were talking about her the other day and I was somewhat surprised to find that she was the most popular film star of her time. It had a lot to do with her films being so light and cheerful during the Great Depression. People wanted escapism. RIP Shirley!

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
RIP Harold Ramis. :( He couldn't have been very old?

janet said:
Oh no! That's so sad :cry: What happened? He's beautiful.
He was very old and he'd been sick for a couple of days. Just couldn't recover from it. Ava and I were able to say goodbye to him the day before and give him a couple of mints. He even tried to bite us, which is so typical it cheered us up. So, it wasn't a surprise really. But I still cried like a baby.

Sorry to hear that Susanne. I've had to stay with all 3 of my ponies when they have been put down. Still upsets me thinking about it. :( Also had to sit with a friends horse when he had to be put down. She was away on holiday and I was the first person the yard manager could get hold of. :(

At least you got to say your goodbyes and I'm sure he appreciated the mints.

User Menu

Newsletter