oook?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
I know it sounds a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. :laugh:

The other day I had a discussion with some cybernauts about the phenomenal language of the librarian-"oook". Some insisted that it's the librarian's stammer (an improper pronunciation of "ok") which is very funny. But others thought it's the imitation of the sound the librarian made; otherwise it would be quite absurd according to the context. I concur with the latter view. As English isn't my mother tongue. I'd like someone to help me clarify this.

Thanks in advance!

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome Matrim! :laugh:

I believe "oook" is the sound the Librarian makes, its meaning depending on the context of the text (along with the occasional "eeek"). Like you say, "ok" just wouldn't fit into many of the conversations that he gets involved in.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
Many thanks! :laugh:

What really triggered the discussion were two different translated versions of "oook"-one is transliteration, the other the Chinese counterpart of "ok". I reckon the latter is a mistake as it doesn't fit in various occasions in the novels. Besides, the librarian isn't a yes-man; I'd say it's quite the opposite. But I cannot get others persuaded. :cry:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Sjoerd3000 said:
Welcome to the site matrim ;)

Ook is actually Dutch for too or as well ;)

So the Librarian is actually Dutch :p
Thought he was Morporkian with a bit of Bhang Bhang Duck mixed in. o_O

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
matrim said:
Sjoerd3000 said:

Really? That's fascinating!
*WHAPS EVERYONE IN THIS POST!*
as Matrim said:
since english isn't my first language
The Librarian ISNT Dutch! for crying out LOUD!
Matrim: Your command of the English language is amazing if it isn't your mother tongue. (Hell of alot better than some of this lot who claim to be English I can tell you) Don't believe a word they say! (or repeat it to your friends.... you will just look silly if you go around telling people the Librarian is Dutch! *whaps Sjoerd*
Ook is the sound orangutans make sort of.

And yes you CAN make a whole language out of one sound. :laugh: My little girl didn't have any language until she was 7 or 8, but she was "vocal". The only sound she made was "Eeeee" and we used to have full conversations with her right up until she was able to do a tiny bit of Macaton. (like a sign language but more graphic for tiny ones... pretend you are eating a sandwich = I am hungry)
Strangley this always made reading the Librarian in DW a pushover. My oldest daughter (now 23) is silly. She still talks in Ook! with me while shopping; well not all the time. She goes to say "Oooooo isn't that nice" but then launches into "Oooooooooo.... -K!" and so it begins?

What is your first language by the way?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
poohcarrot said:
matrim said:
Sjoerd3000 said:

Matrim said he/she liked sarcasm. I think he/she was being sarcastic Sjoerd. :laugh:

Reeeaaalllly? That's Faaascinatinnnggg! :rolleyes:
Sheesh...... and just for Pooh.... Matrim? He or she? :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sjoerd3000 said:

I know that 'vader' means 'father' in Dutch.

Darth Vader's revelation in Empire Strikes Back must have come as no surprise at all to Dutch filmgoers. :laugh:

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
deldaisy said:
matrim said:
Sjoerd3000 said:

*WHAPS EVERYONE IN THIS POST!*
as Matrim said:
since english isn't my first language
The Librarian ISNT Dutch! for crying out LOUD!
Matrim: Your command of the English language is amazing if it isn't your mother tongue. (Hell of alot better than some of this lot who claim to be English I can tell you) Don't believe a word they say! (or repeat it to your friends.... you will just look silly if you go around telling people the Librarian is Dutch! *whaps Sjoerd*
Ook is the sound orangutans make sort of.

And yes you CAN make a whole language out of one sound. :laugh: My little girl didn't have any language until she was 7 or 8, but she was "vocal". The only sound she made was "Eeeee" and we used to have full conversations with her right up until she was able to do a tiny bit of Macaton. (like a sign language but more graphic for tiny ones... pretend you are eating a sandwich = I am hungry)
Strangley this always made reading the Librarian in DW a pushover. My oldest daughter (now 23) is silly. She still talks in Ook! with me while shopping; well not all the time. She goes to say "Oooooo isn't that nice" but then launches into "Oooooooooo.... -K!" and so it begins?

What is your first language by the way?
Thanks for your kindness and encouragement. I can sense it might be a joke but I'm not sure of it. :)

My first language is Chinese.

User Menu

Newsletter