oook?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
Thanks Bouncy Csatle. I'm not bold enough to say I have a good command of English. For example, in reading DW novels, I can get the plot all right but miss many subtleties of the text and some illusions. So I may have some questions for you in the future. :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
matrim said:
Thanks Bouncy Csatle. I'm not bold enough to say I have a good command of English. For example, in reading DW novels, I can get the plot all right but miss many subtleties of the text and some illusions. So I may have some questions for you in the future. :laugh:
Ask her how to "Murder a cuppa tea right now!"
She could make you one with her chocolate teapot!

(can't wait for this explanation)

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
Good ones. "Murder a cup of tea" means someone's really thirsty? "As useful as chocolate teapot" refers to something which is not useful at all?

Happy to meet you all. Got to go off-line. See you! :laugh:

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
ook is just the sound that orang utans make, the context is clear. When characters sometimes correctly interpret the meaning of the librarian's "ook" it is simply evidence of thought transference brought about by the librarians inhabiting an area of high thaumatic background energy. Obviously.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
MongoGutman said:
ook is just the sound that orang utans make, the context is clear. When characters sometimes correctly interpret the meaning of the librarian's "ook" it is simply evidence of thought transference brought about by the librarians inhabiting an area of high thaumatic background energy. Obviously.
I think as such, but since I can't force others to share my view or get them convinced, I'll just leave it as it is. :)

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
MongoGutman said:
matrim said:
I think as such, but since I can't force others to share my view or get them convinced, I'll just leave it as it is. :)
"Just leave it as it is?" What sort of wizardly thinking is that? Poke it with a stick!
The reasoning is something like this:
1. The librarian is a human being with the appearance of an orangutan, so it's justifiable for him to speak in human langauge, i.e. ok.
2. Oook looks pretty much like the mispronunciation of ok.
3. So what the librarian really says is "ok".
:laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter