oook?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
Well, the discussion I mentioned in the op surprised me too. After all the explanations I gave, they still think what the librarian says is "ok". Probably they feel an orangutan's cry simply doesn't do him justice. :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I read a book somewhere years ago about how different languages say "Meow" for a cat, and "Cock-a-doodle-do" for a rooster. (Yes those are the english versions). OOK is what TP means an orangutan to say. So maybe it is different in Chinese? Maybe you say meow and cock-a-doodle-do differently too? Maybe you could explain it to your friends like that.

Verns

Lance-Corporal
Jun 19, 2010
London
deldaisy said:
I read a book somewhere years ago about how different languages say "Meow" for a cat, and "Cock-a-doodle-do" for a rooster. (Yes those are the english versions). OOK is what TP means an orangutan to say. So maybe it is different in Chinese? Maybe you say meow and cock-a-doodle-do differently too? Maybe you could explain it to your friends like that.
Good point, del. It never occurred to me that 'ook' meant anything other than orangutan speak. I've forgotten where I read it, but doesn't somebody (probably Tiffany Aching) get cross because people say a sheep goes 'baa' when it actually goes 'maa'?

This is where we need btlfannz, the sheep expert, to voice an opinion. ;)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Verns said:
deldaisy said:
Good point, del. It never occurred to me that 'ook' meant anything other than orangutan speak. I've forgotten where I read it, but doesn't somebody (probably Tiffany Aching) get cross because people say a sheep goes 'baa' when it actually goes 'maa'?

This is where we need btlfannz, the sheep expert, to voice an opinion. ;)
Speaking as someone who had sheep as a kid Verns... Lambs tend to go Maaaa.... and sheep go Baaaa and Maaaaa. (you can even recognise them by their call (well when you have a four or five; and not 20,000 you can).

User Menu

Newsletter