Questions and thoughts re: the Harry Potter books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I haven't seen either the Doctor Who episode or the FBaWtFT movie. From what you say, and depending on which elements you choose, there are similarities to every monster movie ever made. Giant creature or other monster, captured, escapes, causes havoc - pretty much all of Hammer Films and their competitors and predecessors. If you allow the creation or prior existence of the monster, it goes back to Frankenstein and King Kong. Before that, Pygmalion, and with a few stretches, the rest of the ancient myths.

An entertaining story in a well-done remake can give us Forbidden Planet (aka The Tempest in outer space).

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
=Tamar said:
I haven't seen either the Doctor Who episode or the FBaWtFT movie. From what you say, and depending on which elements you choose, there are similarities to every monster movie ever made. Giant creature or other monster, captured, escapes, causes havoc - pretty much all of Hammer Films and their competitors and predecessors. If you allow the creation or prior existence of the monster, it goes back to Frankenstein and King Kong. Before that, Pygmalion, and with a few stretches, the rest of the ancient myths.

An entertaining story in a well-done remake can give us Forbidden Planet (aka The Tempest in outer space).
Fair enough. And let's face it, Doctor Who ripped off Forbidden Planet (and Jekyll and Hyde) when they did Planet of Evil.

How did Ben Aaronovitch put it? Talent borrows, genius steals, and New Adventures [of Doctor Who] writers get it off the back of a lorry, no questions asked. :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*sigh* Yeah, Spidey... I never believed there were people who actually said that. Until I met one IRL. Dressed as a wizard. Standing in line for a Terry signing.

All I could do was *sigh* and say, "All right, let's start again..." :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter