SPOILERS Raising Steam *Warning Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
hnorwood said:
I didn't think that Vetinari would have been fit enough to take on being a stoker - he walks with a stick. He got wounded in MAA, after all.
Yoda walks with a stick, but that doesn't stop him prodding buttock when it suits him. :laugh:

Phenotype

Jun 14, 2014
I've actually read through this entire thread, and I've only seen it asked once, without a specific reply:

What did the golems actually do at the rickety bridge? I figured Moist's plan involved them in some way, but the scene itself was really puzzling to me. Maybe they could reinforce the bridge, but then there were all these engineers that had been working on it the whole time, apparently without seeing the golems? And then how did Moist and Vimes step off of the edge of the cliff, with Vimes saying "It's just like standing on a pavement"? Or the description of Iron Girder "flying"?

I enjoyed the book, but it was really jarring because I never felt like I got an actual answer to "How will Moist pull this one off?"

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Phenotype said:
What did the golems actually do at the rickety bridge? I figured Moist's plan involved them in some way, but the scene itself was really puzzling to me. Maybe they could reinforce the bridge, but then there were all these engineers that had been working on it the whole time, apparently without seeing the golems? And then how did Moist and Vimes step off of the edge of the cliff, with Vimes saying "It's just like standing on a pavement"? Or the description of Iron Girder "flying"?
Here's my take on it. Golems can move very fast if they want to. (They can probably tunnel through the earth, too, if they want to or are ordered to.) I think the engineers got out of the way, and the golems did something like a circus pyramid and made a bridge of their magically hardened bodies, probably holding the rails in place for Iron Girder to roll on. Standing on a golem is like standing on pavement. Once they were no longer needed, they retracted into the cliffside again.

This isn't what I was envisioning but it's neat:

http://atomictoasters.com/2012/07/start ... ival-ride/

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who knows exactly how this was pulled off? Whether the golems were supporting the track or the bridge. Terry has deliberately (I believe) kept the solution mysterious and let us, the readers decide how it was done. If it were explained it would take away the magic. Quite obviously it was done using the golems and that could mean any of several ways. The point is, he couldn't do it without them. Despite his threats, Vetinari must have realised this. That is why Moist had to make it seem miraculous.

Welcome to the site, Phenotype. :)

I finally finished this today! :clap:

(I know :shhh: it was my xmas present and I've been reading it very slowly... :whistle: )

I enjoyed the book a lot but can see the flaws and just come to accept them now.

I'm very surprised that the Undertaking underground railway wasn't integrated with this. I don't know my history but on Roundworld the underground did come after proper city-to-city railway, right? Maybe in the next book the AM Underground will just be a thing that happens between books Dick Simnel + Dwarf mines = ?

I really did like the vignette style of the book, especially the Brief Encounter reference with the two librarians. :laugh:

And yes I think the stand out for me is the missing Carrot, of the watch members, if your going to have dwarf perspectives yes definitely have Cheery but have Carrot too. :naughty:

I think I liked it more than Snuff? Not sure really , find it hard having favourites in DW only that UA and MM are my least favourites...

Bring on the new Tiffany!

Aug 18, 2014
UK
I read it a week after it was available to buy, and i'm pretty disappointed with this book. Of course I don't buy that crazy theory about NON-PRATCHETT, but there's a few changes in the mood of some characters (Like Vetinary) that I don't like. I also been complaining about the lack of subtlety in the social criticism and the modernization of the DW since Moist appearance. DW It's losing shine and magic. :_(

What put me against Raising Steam for good, is the constant 'encyclopedic' data with no purpose. I feel like being pushed to know more and being treated like I would be silly. Sir, if I want to know more about trains (and I would possible liked to know more before your master class), I will do my own reading about it, thanks. :snooty:

However, Tiffany series keep the same spirit as the old DW books, thanks Terry!

BTW, sorry for my rubbish english.. :mrgreen:

Wyrdskein

Lance-Constable
Sep 9, 2014
Kent (UK)
I was hoping Tony Robinson would be better as I intend to listen to them in the car - Stephen Briggs is absolutely awful. He narrates in a jerky, overly precise way, and frankly ruined Raising Steam. I actually read the novel afterwards and enjoyed it. Not my favourite Pratchett, but by no means as troublesome as other people have said (not for me anyway).

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Hi Wyrdskein welcome to the forum, I prefer Stephen Briggs as a narrator his Feegles are great, I'm not a fan of Tony Robinson as I find he has a very limited narritive range in the characters as they all sound the same or very similar, but we all can't like the same narrators, I also liked the book but not in my top ten. There is also the new Tiffany book coming out probably next year. :mrgreen:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I've never listened to a Tony Robinson (I'll take my audiobooks "unabridged," please), but I love Briggs. He gets to the heart of the characters better, in general, than the other readers do, although Nigel Planer outdoes him in certain areas (like the witches and Lancreans in general).

Part of the problem with your dislike of Briggs may be that the last few DW novels are so far away from Pterry's "classic" style that it's difficult for anyone to read. I love Briggs, but it was clear that he was struggling with the overwritten, exposition heavy, speechifying style of Snuff. I'm interested in getting his Raising Steam to see how he does there, since that book has even more exposition and less dialogue than Snuff.

Wyrdskein

Lance-Constable
Sep 9, 2014
Kent (UK)
Maybe I should listen to an older one read by him first. My favourite Pratchett is probably Feet of Clay, although there are quite a few newer ones I haven't read yet.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
THERE BE SPOLERS AHEAD!

For the "older" Briggs I'd recommend Thud! or The Truth. Both show the range of Briggs' characterizations of humans, vampires, dwarfs, trolls and Nobby Nobbs and with the latter you also get Gaspode, Foul Ole Ron, and the unforgettable Pin and Tulip (just listening to the way Briggs nails Tulip's "_____ing" curse is worth the price alone).

Wyrdskein

Lance-Constable
Sep 9, 2014
Kent (UK)
Yes I may have been a bit harsh on Briggs. Although I found reading Raising Steam myself was fine, I can imagine it being quite difficult to narrate, and his character voices were good. I never wondered who was speaking.

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
I will be honest. I read this book just once, and usually after a new dw book, I go straight back to the beginning and read it again, but i just couldn't muster the will to do so.
It was, to my mind, far too packed with...stuff. Too many characters really spoiled the book for me. It felt like Terry was trying to give book space to almost all of his most popular characters, and I kind of felt annoyed that it wasn't a story that focused on just a few main people but a good deal too many people who seemed to be claiming the spotlight.
Vetinari, Moist, Vimes, the watch, dwarves, goblins, Harry King,...
I read it, because I wanted to enjoy it, but I just didnt. It was a big let down for me because I had loved Snuff and was forced to go without sleep till I finished that, and I was hoping for something that at least might be close to that, but it was just disappointing.

Only thing I can say in it's favour was that I finished it, which I didn't do with the long earth series.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Although I still enjoyed Raising Steam more than Snuff, which I thought was just terrible in so many ways, I agree with you about the numerous characters, Perestroika. For example, the scene with Ridcully and Lu Tze was completely superfluous. Served no purpose whatsoever. The only characters who didn't appear were the witches, although there was a clear reference to Nanny Ogg in discussion of clacks towers in the Ramtops.

Thordalf

Nov 6, 2014
CJDobs said:
Goblin's comment 'I'm an Ankh Morporkian, I've seen the big horse' (see related footnote! :laugh: )
Hi guys, nice to meet you all.

Found this forum and joined for a very simple reason: english is not my native language, so occasionally I have some problems to understand where the joke is (maddening!).

That is the case of the "I've seen the big horse", and the Big Horse bar song mentioned in that footnote.
Can anyone give me some pointers on what is that about? It must be some expression and song, but I haven't found what it is.

Thanks

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site! :) I have to confess that I'm not sure what is meant by "seen the big horse" - I can't actually remember that bit, but understand it's said by a goblin.

User Menu

Newsletter