Rihanna P new book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
:oops: I remember the Fighting Fantasy game-books. I played them all the time when I was a kid. ;) Didn't realise they were still around, though...

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
What are the other two names on the book? Is it co-written?

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
What are the other two names on the book? Is it co-written?
the creators of the series they wrote the first book way back in 1982 The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
I loved those books back in the day and thinking of it they were my first introduction into fantasy
I sort of wish I still had those books the illustrations rocked

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
You mean this series, Ghost? :)

Yes, I had the "Clash of the Princes" boxset (translated into Hebrew, even!) when I was 10 or so. I wish I still had them - after their publication in 1986, they were not re-printed, so they are ultra-rare. Still, they are available on Abe Books ... at about $40-50 each, plus tax. (I said they were ultra-rare, didn't I?) ;)

This series was what introduced me to the fantasy genre in the first place. Looking back, I won't deny it - the books are clearly designed and marketed for children and young adults. There's nothing particularly deep or philosophical about them; there's a clear divide of Good(C) and Evil(TM). :p The player, being The Hero(C), is opposed by The Forces Of Evil(TM). :p

They're gamebooks - that is, by making choices throughout the books, the player turns to numbered entries. Sometimes the entries mean Certain Death(TM); sometimes they mean combat, or A Little Win For The Hero(C). :p By collecting a bunch of MacGuffins(C), The Hero(C) eventually reaches The Ending(C), where said MacGuffins(C) can be used in a specific way to clear a way to battle with The Big Villain(TM)! :p Presuming that you as The Hero(C) can defeat The Big Villain(TM), you can finish the book and win the game - huzzah! :laugh:

As you can see, it's fairly simplistic. A step up from the gamebooks is something called Dungeons & Dragons. A step up from D&D is Sir Pterry's deconstruction of D&D, which began with a book called The Colour of, um ... no, don't help me, tip o' me tongue, starts with M ... ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
You mean this series, Ghost? :)

Yes, I had the "Clash of the Princes" boxset (translated into Hebrew, even!) when I was 10 or so. I wish I still had them - after their publication in 1986, they were not re-printed, so they are ultra-rare. Still, they are available on Abe Books ... at about $40-50 each, plus tax. (I said they were ultra-rare, didn't I?) ;)

This series was what introduced me to the fantasy genre in the first place. Looking back, I won't deny it - the books are clearly designed and marketed for children and young adults. There's nothing particularly deep or philosophical about them; there's a clear divide of Good(C) and Evil(TM). :p The player, being The Hero(C), is opposed by The Forces Of Evil(TM). :p

They're gamebooks - that is, by making choices throughout the books, the player turns to numbered entries. Sometimes the entries mean Certain Death(TM); sometimes they mean combat, or A Little Win For The Hero(C). :p By collecting a bunch of MacGuffins(C), The Hero(C) eventually reaches The Ending(C), where said MacGuffins(C) can be used in a specific way to clear a way to battle with The Big Villain(TM)! :p Presuming that you as The Hero(C) can defeat The Big Villain(TM), you can finish the book and win the game - huzzah! :laugh:

As you can see, it's fairly simplistic. A step up from the gamebooks is something called Dungeons & Dragons. A step up from D&D is Sir Pterry's deconstruction of D&D, which began with a book called The Colour of, um ... no, don't help me, tip o' me tongue, starts with M ... ;)
M....? MONEY

DaveC

Sergeant
Jul 7, 2010
Portishead, UK
davecfilmgeek.tumblr.com
Can't wait for this.

I was a big fan of the series when I was younger and will definitely get this as my eldest daughter's introduction as a random Christmas present.

By the way, to make you all feel old she's now being read The Colour of Magic at bedtimes!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I liked the series when I was younger too, Dave. I still have four or five of my old FF game books kicking around. ;)

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter