Rihanna P new book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
What are the other two names on the book? Is it co-written?
the creators of the series they wrote the first book way back in 1982 The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
I loved those books back in the day and thinking of it they were my first introduction into fantasy
I sort of wish I still had those books the illustrations rocked

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
You mean this series, Ghost? :)

Yes, I had the "Clash of the Princes" boxset (translated into Hebrew, even!) when I was 10 or so. I wish I still had them - after their publication in 1986, they were not re-printed, so they are ultra-rare. Still, they are available on Abe Books ... at about $40-50 each, plus tax. (I said they were ultra-rare, didn't I?) ;)

This series was what introduced me to the fantasy genre in the first place. Looking back, I won't deny it - the books are clearly designed and marketed for children and young adults. There's nothing particularly deep or philosophical about them; there's a clear divide of Good(C) and Evil(TM). :p The player, being The Hero(C), is opposed by The Forces Of Evil(TM). :p

They're gamebooks - that is, by making choices throughout the books, the player turns to numbered entries. Sometimes the entries mean Certain Death(TM); sometimes they mean combat, or A Little Win For The Hero(C). :p By collecting a bunch of MacGuffins(C), The Hero(C) eventually reaches The Ending(C), where said MacGuffins(C) can be used in a specific way to clear a way to battle with The Big Villain(TM)! :p Presuming that you as The Hero(C) can defeat The Big Villain(TM), you can finish the book and win the game - huzzah! :laugh:

As you can see, it's fairly simplistic. A step up from the gamebooks is something called Dungeons & Dragons. A step up from D&D is Sir Pterry's deconstruction of D&D, which began with a book called The Colour of, um ... no, don't help me, tip o' me tongue, starts with M ... ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
You mean this series, Ghost? :)

Yes, I had the "Clash of the Princes" boxset (translated into Hebrew, even!) when I was 10 or so. I wish I still had them - after their publication in 1986, they were not re-printed, so they are ultra-rare. Still, they are available on Abe Books ... at about $40-50 each, plus tax. (I said they were ultra-rare, didn't I?) ;)

This series was what introduced me to the fantasy genre in the first place. Looking back, I won't deny it - the books are clearly designed and marketed for children and young adults. There's nothing particularly deep or philosophical about them; there's a clear divide of Good(C) and Evil(TM). :p The player, being The Hero(C), is opposed by The Forces Of Evil(TM). :p

They're gamebooks - that is, by making choices throughout the books, the player turns to numbered entries. Sometimes the entries mean Certain Death(TM); sometimes they mean combat, or A Little Win For The Hero(C). :p By collecting a bunch of MacGuffins(C), The Hero(C) eventually reaches The Ending(C), where said MacGuffins(C) can be used in a specific way to clear a way to battle with The Big Villain(TM)! :p Presuming that you as The Hero(C) can defeat The Big Villain(TM), you can finish the book and win the game - huzzah! :laugh:

As you can see, it's fairly simplistic. A step up from the gamebooks is something called Dungeons & Dragons. A step up from D&D is Sir Pterry's deconstruction of D&D, which began with a book called The Colour of, um ... no, don't help me, tip o' me tongue, starts with M ... ;)
M....? MONEY

User Menu

Newsletter