Robert Rankin

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Captain Turnip

Lance-Constable
Mar 5, 2009
Another good author - anyone read any of his books?

I loved "Fandom of the Operator" and "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls" :laugh:

Robert Rankin wrote loads of books, but I want to eventually get the "Brentford Trilogy" (A Trilogy that has 8 books in it :rolleyes: ), including "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls" :) It features two Irish Characters, "Jim Pooley and John Omally" - (Who are the Nobbs and Colon of the Robert Rankin World :) )

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Ahoy Captain and welcome to the forum, I have them all my favorites are the Brentford trilogy which now number 7 with one satellite one, but the first four I like like the best are The Antipope,The Brentford Triangle,East of Ealing and The Sprouts of Wrath. I have not yet started the latest one "Necrophenia" which was his 30th one published next one will be "Retromancer" which has been finished.

Captain Turnip

Lance-Constable
Mar 5, 2009
Like with the Discworld series, I have not even read all in the series :rolleyes: (Yes, you heard me right, I have not even read ALL of the Discworld novels :oops: :oops: :oops: )

I tend to like certain characters, and only ever read books with them in it :)

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I love the Robert Rankin Brentford novels.
The book title that made me laugh out loud in the shop though, was Armageddon - The Musical.

I also like the Carol O'Connell detective novels concerning Mallory. Mallory is so psychologically damaged she is totally unpredictable.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
ive got a few cant remember which ones but definately the sprout one, reminds me of the truman show

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I've got them all and read them all.

My favourite is the Witches of Chiswick.

Unlike TP, you can't re-read them more than three times without skipping bits out, I reckon.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Ah! the one I am the protagonist in with the slight change of name and stature, but my best mate in the book Tim is his real name,but it's not my favorite book that in the 1st four original trilogy. :)

Apr 29, 2009
London
mystmoon said:
Have you been listening to the Brightonomnicon(sp?) on BBC Radio 7?
I've got the audio box set!

I go to sleep many a night with Hugo Rune (the sexy-voiced David Warner) in my ear! :oops:

THey have left a lot out from the book, though. If you haven't read it, you really should, after you've listened to the audio version.

I rate Rankin and his FFF (Far Fetched Fiction) up there with Sir T.

Feb 1, 2010
I've just finished reading The Witches of Chiswick - not such a laugh-a-minute has his others, but for the first time I felt some admiration for Hugo Rune. I adore Pooley and Omally, and I aspire to having EPIC HAIR.

Anyone been to Robert Rankin's book signings? Always an entertainment :laugh:

Also, thanks for the BBC Radio 7 tip-off!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
BeadyDragon said:
I've just finished reading The Witches of Chiswick - not such a laugh-a-minute has his others, but for the first time I felt some admiration for Hugo Rune. I adore Pooley and Omally, and I aspire to having EPIC HAIR.

Anyone been to Robert Rankin's book signings? Always an entertainment :laugh:

Also, thanks for the BBC Radio 7 tip-off!
The fanclub have a convention coming up.DA'CON SEPTEMBER 24-26TH 2010.

Apr 29, 2009
London
I had a big RRRR (Robert Rankin Re-Read) at the weekend.

Can any of you recommend authors in the Rankin/Pratchett mold (ie, potty and funny) that I could start with?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Bouncy Castle said:
I had a big RRRR (Robert Rankin Re-Read) at the weekend.

Can any of you recommend authors in the Rankin/Pratchett mold (ie, potty and funny) that I could start with?
Have you read Jasper Fforde, BC? They are really funny but need to be read in order. Start with The Eyre Affair. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Some friend! :rolleyes:

If you like Pratchett and Rankin, you'll certainly enjoy Jasper. I've recommended him to quite a few people and they've all loved his books.

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter