STICKY Sad News for us all.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

captainmeme

Lance-Corporal
Feb 13, 2011
Nearish Manchester
www.bbc.co.uk
Beautiful tribute from a poet on Reddit:

Source

The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
And slowly, softly fades -
Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
The River-Gate; the Shades.

A stony circle's closed to elves;
And here, where lines are blurred,
Between the stacks of books on shelves,
A quiet 'Ook' is heard.

A copper steps the city-street
On paths he's often passed;
The final march; the final beat;
The time to rest at last.

He gives his badge a final shine,
And sadly shakes his head -
While Granny lies beneath a sign
That says: 'I aten't dead.'

The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
It's now. The time's at hand.
For where it's always night, it seems,
A timer clears of sand.

And so it is that Death arrives,
When all the time has gone...
But dreams endure, and hope survives,
And Discworld carries on.

Apr 30, 2011
Altaj, Biysk
vk.com
raisindot said:
In Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut coined the term "Wampeter" as "an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve."

Looking at all the people who have joined this forum and considering the thousands who have attended various DW events over the years, I don't think there could be more satisfaction Pterry must have felt during his life (well, in addition to the millions of pounds he made over the years) than knowing that he was a Grand Wampeter around whom the loyaly and passions of so many devoted fans revolved.
I am, and my friends support you.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
I don't know what to say... Its difficult for me to express just how sad i feel but i wanted to say goodbye, so i will simply go with this...

Rest in peace Sir Terry, your books are my life, we will miss you dearly.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
raisindot said:
In Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut coined the term "Wampeter" as "an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve."

Looking at all the people who have joined this forum and considering the thousands who have attended various DW events over the years, I don't think there could be more satisfaction Pterry must have felt during his life (well, in addition to the millions of pounds he made over the years) than knowing that he was a Grand Wampeter around whom the loyaly and passions of so many devoted fans revolved.
So very, very true.

And like so many other his books, and more specifically, the audiobooks, helped me through some tough times.

also found this very nice tribute

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/terry-pr ... er_vulture

Nov 19, 2011
California
When I saw the announcement on FB yesterday morning, I didn't want to believe it. My heart cried "No! This has to be a mistake!" It wasn't though and when I tried to log in to the forum, I kept getting an error message. I spent the day holding back tears while at work and my breaks reading the tributes on FB. It helps but still does not take the ache away. My heart goes out to his family. In 1990 I bought "Guards! Guards!" and "Men At Arms" from a SF book club and was hooked. I introduced my daughter to Discworld when she was in junior high and bought "Where's My Cow?" for my grandson before he was born. As my husband said last night, Pterry will never die as long as his books are read and his name is spoken. Pterry has left a legacy of wonderful books, but more than that, he has left a wonderful group of people world wide who have become a family of sorts. Let us continue to celebrate his life - forever.

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
My sadness brings me back to old friends to share my grief. Condolences to all my old friends Tony, Meercat, Bouncy, Pip, Del (remember me?) . I keep thinking that I have cried myself out but then the tears start rolling down my cheeks again (as they are now as I try and type) Last time I was in this state was when Lennon died, Then as now I feel like part of my life has been forcibly wrenched out of me, Walk calmly across the black sand Terry as THE MAN IN BLACK walks arm in arm with you.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm sitting here at the moment, playing my Wintersmith CD by Steeleye Span. The track "The Good Witch" where Terry speaks during the song hit me hard. We all have so many memories of Terry and his books. I can honestly say that Terry Pratchett and his books have changed my life for the better. There were times in my life, when my depression got too much to bear, where I seriously considered ending it. What kept me going? Terry's writing did. I owe him so much. It was a Discworld book (and a million to one chance) that caused me to get in contact with, write to, visit and fall in love with Sharlene in Tucson Arizona. That book was "A Hat Full of Sky". I have told this story here before, but I will tell it again. Swreader (Sharlene) owned a book store at the time and, consequently, she had an advance reader copy of the book. She read it and was frustrated as there were still weeks until the release of the book. She didn't have anyone to share it with. As it happened, I had been shopping in Tesco and there was the book, on the shelf, two weeks before it as due out. Someone had screwed up - but was a wonderful screw up it was. I wrote a PM to swreader and we shared our thoughts on the book. That was more than ten years ago.

I met Terry on several occasions. I got Sharlene a special copy of Hat Full of Sky at the last Clarecraft event and got Terry to sign it. I told him how special the book was to Sharlene and me.

There must be dozens of similar stories to mine. People who have been brought together by Terry's books and then gone on to great friendships. If you met a Pratchett fan, you generally knew that they would probably be on the same wavelength as you.

Even today - the day after the awful news, we are seeing old friends coming here to give each other the Internet equivalent of a shoulder to cry on and virtual hugs. I cannot think of another person in the public eye who has had such a profound affect on me.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
PLEASE NOTE: If you are new here and trying to join, please try not to get too frustrated as the board is having some technical problems. When you join, you are supposed to get an email asking you to verify your details. For some reason those emails are not going out.

As a temporary measure, I am activating those new accounts manually. So please keep trying to sign in. I'm checking the logs periodically and hopefully that will work.

hattie

Constable
Jul 31, 2011
Austria
Well he was a great man! So down to earth...and at the same time so philosophical. Everyone has at least one character they connect with :)

Nov 21, 2010
I can only read a few things at a time without getting choked up, how perfect is this though?

From The Guardian "...for Gaiman no honour could do justice to his lifetime’s work.

He wrote: “As Terry walks into the darkness much too soon, I find myself raging too: at the injustice that deprives us of – what? Another 20 or 30 books? Another shelf-full of ideas and glorious phrases and old friends and new, of stories in which people do what they really do best, which is use their heads to get themselves out of the trouble they got into by not thinking?”

“I rage at the imminent loss of my friend,” Gaiman continued, “And I think, ‘What would Terry do with this anger?’ Then I pick up my pen, and I start to write.”

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
There's been an astounding outpouring of emotion, appreciation and accolade (quite rightly) for our much loved and much missed TP. I've also been struggling to get it into my head that he's no longer with us and the Discworld is now frozen in time.

I was introduced to TP and his glorious books by someone at a quiz night. I'd previously only really noticed the covers when travelling on the London underground and wondered what sort of loon read those fantasy book things. Well, now I know and also why. Because they are fabulous!

Soon afterwards I was looking around the internet because I wanted to join a forum of some kind and stumbled across a link to something called the Igor Thpeaking Thread which had just been started on the Harper Collins forum. Geek Goddess's first post caught my eye. It ended 'Pautheth to remove thpittle from monitor' and I knew then and there that a Discworld forum was right for me.

Only one month later, I had a brain haemorrhage and ended up stuck in Addenbrooke's hospital many miles away from home but with (thankfully) access to the internet (hurrah). That's when I really, really knew how wonderful TP fans were. The boardies kept me company, sent me chokkit, wrote to me, posted get well messages and were generally there for me even though I'd barely been on the board for even a month. TP fans are simply fabulous and incredible ambassadors for his memory.

I've been lucky enough to meet TP a few times, to sit on his knee for a photo and, amazingly, to be recognised by the great man at the last Birmingham convention when he was starting to look frail. I'm pretty sure he recognised my gothic blue dress rather than me but I'm not complaining as he stopped for a chat. I just wish I'd joined the TP trail much, much earlier and could have met him sooner, but hey ho. It's been a helluva ride and those wonderful books will keep me going for the rest of my days. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I was just watching the Tinykittens live camera feed, watching the latest batch of kittens, when one of the chatters there said - does anyone else here like Terry Pratchett. There were a load of us chatting about him and others who have always meant to read the books. He's known throughout the world, even people that haven't read the books seem to know who he was.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
What can I say to express my loss--all our loss. It's so unfair, but the gods have a way of doing that. Like Tony, I owe so much to Sir Terry. His books have brought me joy and stretched my mind. I also found out that another friend my mine had died (actually a couple of weeks ago) but his wife called me the day before Terry's announcement. Both of them were younger than I am. I think sometimes that it should have been me, not someone like Sir Terry. But that's the pain of loss speaking and he brought me so much joy. As Tony said--he brought us together, and that was an incredible gift.

RIP Sir Terry--you'll be alive in our hearts forever. And your books will never die.

User Menu

Newsletter