Short Stories

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
At one point in time I did have some weblinks to the short stories for reading online. I'll see if I can dig them out for you.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
A lot of these stories are on the Internet - however downloading them can cause legal issues as Terry obviously isn't getting any royalties for downloaded stories.

I don't know if you've managed to read The Sea and Small Fishes? This is a lovely story about Granny and the witches at a Witch Trial. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

There was a book published that contained just about all the short stories - Once More With Footnotes, but it was expensive and a short run. I just looked at Amazon.uk and they want over £500 for it. :eek:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The particular website with the links I was thinking of claimed to be hosting them legally. They had a wide selection of authors with a link to 1 or 2 short stories written by each with links to an online book store. There was a notice somewhere on the site that said something along the lines of, they have permission from the publishers and their purpose is to promote the respective authors.

In hindsight, perhaps I was a little naive to believe that. What's your take on that?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think that if it's on one of Terry's publisher's sites such as Transworld or Harper Collins, then it's legal. I've seen all sorts of Pratchett stuff online - including the Discworld maps on a Russian site that can be downloaded.

It's usually pretty clear if the site is a bit dodgy - so a bit of thought is needed. ;)

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I found this one by doing a google search http://members.fortunecity.com/bookdepo ... ories.html

It has links to 4 stories. I've read 3 of them (I think). If The Sea and Little Fishes is the same one I'm thinking of then it's the best of the lot.
I haven't come across the link I was originally looking for though.
Notice from site's main page:
This is my private reading room, comprised of books I've always wanted to see online.

Just to make this absolutely clear: I put those books here for my personal reading pleasure. If you want to browse through my library, I can't be held legally responsible for anything you may find.
By entering this page you agree to these conditions.
You're the one that's going to burn in hell for your sins.

Enjoy.

The Management

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
Tonyblack said:
A lot of these stories are on the Internet - however downloading them can cause legal issues as Terry obviously isn't getting any royalties for downloaded stories.

I don't know if you've managed to read The Sea and Small Fishes? This is a lovely story about Granny and the witches at a Witch Trial. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

There was a book published that contained just about all the short stories - Once More With Footnotes, but it was expensive and a short run. I just looked at Amazon.uk and they want over £500 for it. :eek:
This book has been recently published in Germany, at least I think it contains the same stuff as Once more with Footnotes, like the shortstories, interviews and articles.

Its called "Der ganze Wahnsinn" and actually its the only DW book I have ever bought in german language ;)

Jul 26, 2008
My god i just looked on abebooks and theyre over $600 there and up to $2500 :eek: i know they were ltd edition but thats silly, im just glad i got one when i did, anyway i digress, just in case you need the details here they are.
The german edition which is the same as once more with footnotes ISBN: 978-3-492-70155-6 called Der Ganze Wahnsinn. storys

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
The_Discworldaholic said:
My god i just looked on abebooks and theyre over $600 there and up to $2500 :eek: i know they were ltd edition but thats silly, im just glad i got one when i did, anyway i digress, just in case you need the details here they are.
The german edition which is the same as once more with footnotes ISBN: 978-3-492-70155-6 called Der Ganze Wahnsinn. storys
This is the amazon link http://www.amazon.de/ganze-Wahnsinn...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218531976&sr=8-1

available there for only 20 Euros :eek: indeed a great book even in german - perhaps I should think of offering translations :rolleyes: ;) :laugh:

windle poons

Lance-Constable
Sep 15, 2008
Hertford
The Times Higher Education Suppliment website also has a Discworld short story that ive not heard of anywhere else but the title escapes me at the moment I will post it when i get home
Bob

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
windle poons said:
The Times Higher Education Suppliment website also has a Discworld short story that ive not heard of anywhere else but the title escapes me at the moment I will post it when i get home
Bob
Thanks Bob - sounds interesting. :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
The_Discworldaholic said:
I just checked to see what they sold for on eBay and it's going for $1700! :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter