signed discworld books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 20, 2009
hi i have some old books and wondering if anyone could give me an idea of their value. I have a 1989 (i think) autographed to my friend paperback of sourcery and 1990 signed to me copy of Guards Guards. They were both signed around those years as we used to attend a sci fi group in Preston where Terry Pratchett was a regular guest. They are both corgi published-pages are yellowed as you would expect but otherwise are in ok condition]
any help would be appreciated
cheers
mel

PS are these classed as first editions? because i have 5 books in total

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there fat_freddys_cat_77 and welcome to the site. :laugh:

The value of books is really quite complicated and I doubt if anyone here can help without seeing the books in question and the signatures.

You have to bear in mind that Terry is a hugely popular writer and there are therefore more copies of his books produced in a print run than a lot of other authors.

A date like "1989" is not necessarily an indication of a first edition as several editions can be produced in a year. And then you have to take condition into account. A buyer would want the cleanest copy possible -preferably one that had never been read before with a perfect dust cover.

That's really what it boils down to when it comes to value - how much someone else is prepared to pay for it.

Terry is very generous with his signatures (and suffers for it with repetitive strain injury) and it has jokingly been said that a first edition hardback WITHOUT Terry's signature would be worth more than one with it, because every known copy has been signed. Whether that is true or not is any one's guess.

Buyers are going to be looking for pristine first edition hardbacks with a signature relevant to the publish date (Terry's signature has changed over the years) that is not a personal dedication. Someone called Bert isn't going to want a book signed "Best wishes Mary, Terry Pratchett" - unless they are buying the book for someone named Mary. But "Best Wishes, Terry Pratchett" would be more desirable.

You might want to check out the prices that the books go for on Abe Books. :laugh: Hope that helps.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I bought mint copies of Sourcery and Mort in paperback from Abebooks. Both were signed, inscribed and dedicated to Mike (my name). I paid 20 quid for the pair.

Jul 20, 2009
thanks

wow thanks for the quick and informative reply. These books are signed one to mel and one to angus-quite unusual names and yes the signatures are very diferent to the ones i have seen in his recent books.... anyway... maybe i should put them back on my bookshelf for another twenty years

thanks again
mel

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: Yep - cherish them for what they are and the memory of getting them signed. ;)

I know my signed copies mean a lot to me - I got them signed to keep not to sell. :laugh:

Omnia

Constable
May 28, 2009
Essex
Even the book I got signed in 2001 has a slightly different signature to signatures I got last year :laugh:

Personally I wouldn't track down a signed Pratchett book to buy as I've gotton so many signed myself, but if I would I'd be after an early signature on a hard back first edition book like Who's Wee Doug said.

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
poohbcarrot said:
I bought mint copies of Sourcery and Mort in paperback from Abebooks. Both were signed, inscribed and dedicated to Mike (my name). I paid 20 quid for the pair.
pooh, I can't help but wonder. The two sample signatures you posted are addressed to 'Dave'. Are those books that you purchased elsewhere? o_O:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ohnhai said:
I got my UK Launch HB Masquerade signed to me with an ook! and then the rubber stamp
:laugh: That's great! Like I said earlier in this thread, if you got a personalised copy then treasure it, especially if you met Terry at the time. These days he's not able to personalise them, although he's still managing signatures. :(

User Menu

Newsletter