SPOILERS Soul Music Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Or indeed that business with Mr. Hong, although the wizards seem to remember that with some embarassment :laugh:

This has annoyed me so much I actually went looking for a quote as I can't remember a thing about it - I never look up quotes unless Pooh's being particularly irritating! :rolleyes: Anyway - good ol' L-space has it ;)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Jan Van Quirm said:
Or indeed that business with Mr. Hong, although the wizards seem to remember that with some embarassment :laugh:

This has annoyed me so much I actually went looking for a quote as I can't remember a thing about it - I never look up quotes unless Pooh's being particularly irritating! :rolleyes: Anyway - good ol' L-space has it ;)
I'm not at all sure what you're referring to here Jan when you refer to "that business with Mr. Hong". Various people refer to that in this book, but the actual incident is quite different. This is more akin to the traveling shop (which turns up in various books, briefly--on one side of the street or another--and then disappears.) If you're referring to the fact that the wizards and or Vetinari remember Mr. Hong, of course they do since that incident was prior to Men at Arms where it is described as having happened in the past. Thus reference to Mr. Hong don't violate the fact that the bulk of what has happened in the book is, by DEATH'S actions at the end, nullified and never happened. What he appears to have done is to take everybody back to the famous sign post at the beginning of the book, and send Imp down to road to Quirm rather than Ank-Morpork. Eventually, Pratchett will call this a "trousers of time" device.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
L-space quoting from Men at Arms said:
"'They do things like open the Three Jolly Luck Take-away Fish Bar on the site of the old temple in Dagon Street on the night of the Winter solstice when it also happens to be a full moon.'"
This doesn't sound too much like a travelling shop, more a swipe against mysticism in general? *shrugs*

What I'm interpreting it as is how people in general don't notice strange things like it's Death getting off his skull in the Drum or paradoxically will recognise things that are very odd indeed, but think they're just commonplace (the travelling shops that have "always been there" if you like in that one). It's the human way of dealing with stuff that's too strange or horrible to deal with rationally - the "what are they on?"; "lalalalalala I'm not listening"; "this is too ridiculous to be happening" moments and the kind of things that people will assign to a bad dream after way too much curry and beer? And afterwards the History Monks go in and sweep all the debris out of sight out of mind... :laugh:

People are good at blanking out/forgetting stuff they're not able to process, but others who aren't quite so worried about these things or are able to overcome the 'lalalala not happening' stuff - presumably like the wizards and Vetinari can see past that and will remember Mr. Hong and won't forget Music with Rocks In. In Vetinari's case because he never really got involved beyond getting Drumknott to keep an eye on Dibbler and he anyway wasn't in the slightest bit interested in the music aside from how Mr. Clete was going to deal with what was essentially a Guild problem?

Talking of which - 'Wheels on Fire'anyone for the runaway coaches at the start and end of the book? Did we cover that yet - never mind this is kind of an appropriate vid if memory serves me well! :p

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
One of the things that makes Terry Pratchett's work such fun is that it is constantly evolving and changing. A number of fragmentary ideas don't entirely work, or get boring, but he uses them to keep growing and changing. DEATH is a marvellous example of that kind of growing evolution.

In Mort, DEATH'S first book, Pratchett makes him (only in some ways) the stereotypical death. The dark cloaked skeleton with the scythe who rides a pale horse and appears when someone dies. But even in Mort, there are some indications that Terry is going to use him in different ways. DEATH is very good at his job, but he has also become very intrigued with humanity. He is trying to learn "what makes them tick." Thus, he "adopts" Ysabell and keeps her at 16 years old until he decides she should marry, and then brings in her future husband, and while Mort is acting in DEATH's role, DEATH is learning more about humanity.

In DEATH'S next, and very significant, development, he is "fired" either by the Auditors, or at their instigation. In Reaper Man he really begins to understand humanity (it's fears, hopes, loves, loyalty) as Bill Door who is saved from the new Death by Miss Flitworth's unselfish gift of time and a kind of love, which he returns the only way he can--by giving her a "night to remember" and returning her at her death to her own true love.

In this book DEATH has mysteriously disappeared, which leads to the development of his granddaughter SUSAN who while partially human, also shares his powers. And while most of this book is about the education of Susan, significantly, DEATH, who acts like (as does almost everyone else in the book) a teenager--takes the hot rod "motorcycle" and the Dean's Leather's and rides off after his granddaughter and the others. While the motorcycle dies--and DEATH apparently crashes with it, he has the ability to re-incarnate himself, and the wisdom to deal with the problem of music that wasn't intended for Discworld. Thus, by breaking all the rules, he makes them work, and co-incidentally saves the band, who are no longer a band, and begins the relationship with Susan that will grow and develop through the rest of the books.

Soul Music is a transitional book, looking back and forward. It has some of the old style jokes (punning on names of bands, etc.) but it also deals in a small measure with the nature of time and how Time is used by and changed by humans.

Jan 1, 2010
The evolution of death is even more marked if you consider his portrayal in COM/LF where he is vindictive and maybe even evil - he kills some flying insects because Rincewind's escape from death annoys him and he seems to want to pursue Rincewind rather than regarding him as a curiosity as he does later.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Doughnut Jimmy said:
The evolution of death is even more marked if you consider his portrayal in COM/LF where he is vindictive and maybe even evil - he kills some flying insects because Rincewind's escape from death annoys him and he seems to want to pursue Rincewind rather than regarding him as a curiosity as he does later.
You're absolutely right, of course. Tony mentioned that to me also--but somehow I forget him in those books (they seem so jumbled in comparison to the later ones).

One obvious reason DEATH is not acting on his proper role is that Pratchett needs to let Susan grow and develop, and it's easier without having him present. But DEATH seems genuinely (if somewhat humorously) trying all the standard remedies to forget a lost love--joining the Klatchian Foreign Legion, drinking everything in the bar, being thrown in the river, and finally joining the canting crew of invisibles.

Pratchett never tells us exactly what drives him to this state. But certainly there is a hint in the drunken rant in the bar. I'm inclined to think that the key to DEATH'S depression/job frustration is hinted at in this passage:
YOU SEE STUFF LOOMING UP LIKE ICEBERG THINGS AHEAD BUT YOU MUSTN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT ITBECAUSE--BECAUSE--BECAUSEITSALAW, CAN'T BREAK THE LAW. 'SCOTABEALAW.

Ironically, DEATH has become partially human (since Reaper Man). And his fiery crash and "death" on the motorcycle is as rebellious as Susan's outraged call for him--"What's the good of being Death if you have to obey idiot rules all the time?"

I'm inclined to think that this rebellious activity, which essentially negates everything that has happened in the book--including Albert's broken life-timer, is a bit of a cop out on Pratchett's part--a sort of "And then I woke up and it was all a dream." But I think he lays the foundation for the actions of DEATH as Hogfather and in Thief of Time here. The rules matter, but there are ways to get around them and Susan (who is part human) is the key to that.

Terry has transformed DEATH from a figure of fear to something rather different. I think that's an interesting concept, don't you think Jimmy?

Jan 1, 2010
Absolutely swreader I think the imaginative leap to take Death from a being that kills to one who merely forwards people to whatever their next destination is is one of Terry's greatest.

And from that so much has grown with what this outsider thinks as he watches humanity/life.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
In this book we see a scene lifted almost directly from Mort but with the inclusion of Susan. While I don't want to go into too much detail about Mort, as we've not discussed it yet, I do think it's significant.

What do you think? o_O

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
And this is why I will never be any good at trivia sessions based on Discworld books (I am stuffed for the Thursday night pub quiz). I have no idea what you are referring to - but on the positive side it gives me a really good reason to go and re-read two wonderful books. :laugh:

Tonyblack said:
In this book we see a scene lifted almost directly from Mort but with the inclusion of Susan. While I don't want to go into too much detail about Mort, as we've not discussed it yet, I do think it's significant.

What do you think? o_O
Loved that scene, but wish i had had the foresight to read mort, or that scene of mort beforehand.
:rolleyes:

One Man Bucket

Lance-Corporal
Oct 8, 2010
I see, so Gloria's father was a radical dwarf or dwarfs have been flagrant about their femininity long before Cheery. I suppose it could be a mistake on Pratchett's part but it could equally be an indication of how modern the dwarfs of the Ramtops are in relation their Uberwaldian counterparts. Cheery being from Uberwald would likely be feeling the scorn of her fellow Uberwaldians but seeing as there's plenty of Ramtop dwarfs in Ankh Morpork she shouldn't have been a pioneer so we go back to Thog being a radical

Om(nomnom)

Lance-Constable
Jun 8, 2011
I kinda liked Soul Music, but I really don't like the ending.
Even if it makes sense and clearly was set up at he beginning of the story, it always seems a bit unsatisfying and "cheap" to me. (If you can use that word in English.)
Now buddy was sure enough more of a supporting character, even a mere "instrument", so to speak. But still, besides the great Elvis-Joke in the end, (which is hard to get in the German version) I think he deserved a bit more than -having served his purpose- to disappear and never be heard of again. (Or do we? )
Especially since I understand he is a potential love interest and future husband of Susan. (Though that probably wouldn't fit very well into hogfather or thief of time.)

I have to say that I didn't get quite a few of the references (certainly not the Llamedos ones :laugh:), even though the German translator probably did his best. But Cliff for example is called Klippe in German, so you had to use quite a bit of reverse thinking and be alert to get the reference. (Actually a better translation would have been Kliff, perhaps.)
More obvious names were "Die Wem", "Bleiballon" and "Und du" for example.
(The Who, Led Zeppelin,U2 )

I find it interesting that in order to "exorcise" the music two steps are necessary. First to abandon or get it under control mentally, but then also to destroy or utilise its avatar or symbol. (And they needed Death for that. )
Those two steps seem to be recurring in several of the books.

As for the characters, I think I liked glod the most.
It's a simple joke but I found his negotiating skill or lack thereof hilarious.
Especially since he is a dwarf and is convinced of the opposite. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think Terry was stuck with either killing Buddy off or sending him down a different leg of the Trousers of Time. There's a significant part in the book where Buddy gets to a road sign and has to decide whether to go to Ankh-Morpork or Quim. Going to A-M is where things went wrong, so time was altered so that he went to Quirm instead - and got a job in a chip shop. :laugh:

I don't think we'll ever see him again in the books and I don't think he was ever a serious love interest or potential husband for Susan. In a way he's like the teen idol who girls find attractive until the next teen idol comes along. A passing phase. ;)

A

Anonymous

Weird thing, though, might be that it seems (at least a bit) that after SM we seemed to get to hear stories from a trouserleg in which the stuff in AM happened yet things turned out rather well...

User Menu

Newsletter