Stand ups

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Saw Newman and Baddiel quite a few years back and they were a lot of fun (for those that don't know they where half of the Mary Whitehouse Experience).

My favorite is Billy Connolly. I saw him at Hammersmith probably 15-20 years ago. I have never laughed so much in my life. My sides were aching by the intermission. Needed the 20 minutes to calm down before it all started again.

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard are my favourites

Very partial to a bit of Sean Lock, Bill Bailey and I thnk Al Murray as The Pub Landlord has some very good material if you are in the right frame of mind.

Saw the little known Topping and Butch at a recent DW event and they were brilliant (very alternative, not for the faint of heart) with their musical comedy

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Here you Brits talk about all those comedians we've never heard of over here (except for Connolly, who never struck me as funny. Loud, but not funny).

So who is representing British standup on THIS side of the pond? Ricky Gervais. That ought to be the most embarrassing thing you sent over since Herman's Hermits and Benny Hill.

:laugh:

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Sorry Raisindot but I disagree with you on Benny Hill, he was a master of comedy, sadly missed. (not so much a stand up as a run about :laugh: )

Some (general tar brush used here) of our, so called, 'stand ups' I would dearly love to send to you just to let them know what a complete useless a*rse they really are! ;) Just One very nasty comment by a vicious broadway critic and ... whammo! Home to Blighty and a job in the local chip shop! The world would be saved. :laugh:

I do appologise for Ricky Gervias, (who I, personally, do not find funny and who very nearly ruined Night in the Museum), but we didn't know what to do with him over here and sent him for some Work Release in the US. He doesn't realise he isn't funny and must have some evil 'friends' who won't tell him either! Let us hope he gets the message soon!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
raisindot said:
Here you Brits talk about all those comedians we've never heard of over here (except for Connolly, who never struck me as funny. Loud, but not funny).

So who is representing British standup on THIS side of the pond? Ricky Gervais. That ought to be the most embarrassing thing you sent over since Herman's Hermits and Benny Hill.

:laugh:
As for Connolly you may not have caught the jist of his jokes he is more for the expat comunities of the countries he visits, and his anecdotes he uses are mainly Scottish.

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
Billy is hilarious and still changes his routine from one night to the other even after 40 or so years.

You can keep Gervais over there, I can't stand him. With a bit of luck, Michael MacIntyre will follow him as he just takes other comedians' material and adds his stupid nodding head and an irritating voice

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Bickaxe said:
Billy is hilarious and still changes his routine from one night to the other even after 40 or so years.

You can keep Gervais over there, I can't stand him. With a bit of luck, Michael MacIntyre will follow him as he just takes other comedians' material and adds his stupid nodding head and an irritating voice
Yep get rid of the idiot :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
meerkat said:
I do appologise for Ricky Gervias, (who I, personally, do not find funny and who very nearly ruined Night in the Museum), but we didn't know what to do with him over here and sent him for some Work Release in the US. He doesn't realise he isn't funny and must have some evil 'friends' who won't tell him either! Let us hope he gets the message soon!
HBO ran a show called "Talking Funny" where Jerry Seinfeld held court discussing comedy with other comedians. You had Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Louis C.K. (the brother of one of my best friends growing up) and...Ricky Gervais. Three of them are recognized top names in standup who worked their way up the ranks and made it where they are on talent and good acts. The other is a poser, and his ignorance and sheer unfunninsess were embarrassing.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I saw an older show of Richard Herring yesterday, Oh %$!#, I'm 40!.

I stumbled upon it, I was a fan of Fist of Fun/This Morning with Richard not Judy when it was on. The show was funny enough but it had a bit of a negative vibe on it, I got a feeling that he thinks he should be more famous than he is :)

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
I liked Les Dawson, Charlie Williams and Ken Dodd.

Never rated Ken much until I went to see him in Blackpool. I have never laughed so much I nearly wet myself before! He never swore once. Very very funny! Still is!
I've seen him twice and STILL found him very, very funny.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
meerkat said:
I liked Les Dawson, Charlie Williams and Ken Dodd.

Never rated Ken much until I went to see him in Blackpool. I have never laughed so much I nearly wet myself before! He never swore once. Very very funny! Still is!
I've seen him twice and STILL found him very, very funny.
Ken Dodd is one of the greatest live acts you can ever see and one of the longest acts you will ever see :)

Dixie

Lance-Corporal
Dec 13, 2010
Guildford
www.Q2VB.co.uk
Bill Bailey has to be one of the best in my opinion. We saw his latest show live in London at the testing stage, before he went on tour. It was great! Although he can repeat some jokes which new viewers laught at but once you heard them a few times they are still funny, but more meh funny than laugh out loud funny.

Dylan Moran is good for a laugh too, and Eddie Izzard is one of my favourites. Especially these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjcuZ-LiSY

User Menu

Newsletter