Star Trek or Star Wars?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Star Trek or Star Wars?

• Star Trek

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I am in an impish, gadfly mood. So I thought I'd start a 'which is better: Star Trek or Star Wars?' poll.

The correct answer, as always, is "Neither: Doctor Who is best", but given a choice between those two, I'd probably choose Star Wars, because there's a sense of magic and wonder that is less prevalent in Star Trek.

And let the flames begin...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Penfold said:
Star Trek for me because of the various tv series as well as the films. While the Star Trek films were a bit hit and miss, they all had one redeeming feature over Star Wars - no Jar Jar Binks! :laugh:
Well...besides the fact that Star Trek had Wesley Crusher...

I have only one thing to say to you: "Jar-Jar, you're a genius!"

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Definitely Star Trek for me. There is much more depth to the stories and a lot more character development. The stories are morality plays set in a Utopian future. Humanity not only survives, but thrives and becomes an example to other species. And yes, Wesley was a little annoying to start with, but his character also develops - his relationship with Picard is really very well observed and his final rejection of Starfleet is particularly good.

Star Wars is a completely different concept - it's pretty much just an adventure series set in space.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I enjoy Star Wars, but Star Trek will always be dear to me :) I never get bored of it. I struggled with the early DS9 episodes though. Not enough exploration going on, and too many annoying characters.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Neither. I never became either a Trekkie or a Star Wars fanatic. When I noticed, about 10 years ago, that people were fighting online over who was better - Captain Kirk or Captain Picard- I wrote the following. Hope you enjoy. ;)

'Cyberspace... the final frontier. These are the voyages of two intrepid space captains as they journey through cyberspace in their starship, the Win-A-Prize, to find... is Captain Perk really better than Captain DiLard? And does anyone even care any more? In...

Star Drek: The Next Desperation!

Captain Perk: Come journey with me, space devotees! We shall scour the galaxies to find alien civilisations to wreck and battle Flingons! I shall inevitably find some alien women to be intimate with, get my shirt torn and fight some alien guys, wreck their civilisation, and beam back on board the starship in time to make a stupid joke and see Captain Sprock raise his eyebrow - all in glorious Technicolor!

Captain DiLard: No, come journey with me, ensigns! We shall be make it so as we drink Earl Grey tea, battle on-board ship troubles, and - amazingly - we will secure the jail cells of the future with force fields rather than solid physical doors, so that every power failure results in a jailbreak!

Captain Perk: Alien women!

Captain DiLard: Earl Grey tea!

Captain Perk: Alien women!!

Captain DiLard: Earl Grey tea!!

Captain Perk: Alien women!!!

Captain DiLard: Earl Grey tea!!!

Will the argument ever be settled? Will Captain Perk and Captain DiLard ever make up? And will anyone still be interested? Tune in next week to find out on...

Star Drek: The Next Desperation!'

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
On a note of inquiry, how many of the Trekkies here have seen Blake's 7? I'm fairly sure Tonyblack has, but I can't remember for sure.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Used to love Blake's 7, if only due to the fact that they would kill off a major character every now and again which is something I had never seen before in a tv show. Could have done with a bigger budget to do something about the wobbly sets though. :laugh:

The scripts were pretty good for the time as well. :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm not really fussed either way, but Wesley Crusher is much less annoying than Jar-Jar Binks. So put me down as a Trekkie. ;)

I'm just amused by the people who take this rivalry so seriously, as I am by the "Captain Picard vs. Captain Kirk" thing, the "Death Star vs. USS Enterprise" thing, etc. In the end, we're all doomed. So let's go live on Rath's world instead.

NARF!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Penfold said:
There shouldn't be any rivalry between the two really, we all know that Red Dwarf was better than both. ;)

*Dons tin hat and digs very deep hole to hide in*
Or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

*puts on a WW1 Tommy helmet and joins Penfold in the trenches* ;)

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
RathDarkblade said:
Penfold said:
There shouldn't be any rivalry between the two really, we all know that Red Dwarf was better than both. ;)
Or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Damn straight! Says I, doing a Full Rimmer in my dressing gown.

Or the half-Rimmer as demonstrated here as it's an emergency :laugh: Re-The Wrath of Q.

User Menu

Newsletter