starting out with disc world, could really use some help! :)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

mau3312

Aug 7, 2009
the nation
hi guys, so im new to terry pratchett books i have just finished nation and loved it and i have been recommended the discworld novels and have never read any of them, so i was just wondering if there was anything to know and like what they're about thanks guys :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'd certainly go for Guards! Guards! as a first book. Witches Abroad is another good one. Maybe Mort would be a good place to start. A lot of people insist on starting with The Colour of Magic and working their way through the series chronologically - that's certainly how I did it, but I did it as the books were being published. :)

In most cases it doesn't matter where you start, but by starting with the earlier books you do get to see character development.

You can find a list of Terry's books HERE

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Welcome, mau.

The Discworld is about people(s) and all their little idiosyncrasies.
In other words, it's about us.

Start anywhere, really. Which books in what order also depends upon availability.

A word: do not skip the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy if you come across it.
Not the DW, but terrific reading.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi mau :) I hope whichever one you pick you love it, because if you do then you're in for a treat - there are loads to read!

I started with The Colour of Magic, but to be honest I think Mort would be a better place to start. Enjoy! :laugh:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Don't listen to them mau!

Read them back to front. Then you start with the most recent (i.e. "best") books first!

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
kakaze said:
Don't listen to them mau!

Read them back to front. Then you start with the most recent (i.e. "best") books first!
....and don't start on page 1. Go to the end and read each book backwards.

Or buy 5 at the same time and read them all together - 10 pages of one then 10 pages of another etc.

Or buy the Polish editions, then as well as reading a Discworld novel, you will also learn Polish.

Or just read every odd numbered page, then when you finish, read every even numbered page.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Indeed - very bad for the spankers joints not to mention the mutual pain (even if you use a stick). Some form of mental retribution is called for - eeny meeny miney d'oh... :laugh:

Actually the threat of impending, but unspecified, torture (with the possibility of glo paint, SP and Dubya) might be the way forward whilst giving sufficient leeway for further entertaining, if highly dubious indiscretions and general smartypantsness to continue... o_O:

*again sits back with popcorn - salted :twisted: *

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Bouncy Castle said:
My first toe-dip into the Ankh was Going Postal.

No wonder I was traumatised, and it took me a year to get up the courage to try again (from the beginning!!).

:laugh:
:laugh: Actually, I don't think it's too bad a place to start, but I can see what you mean. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter