Strangely Fascinating III--DWCon 2016 The Band with Rocks In

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Hi peeps! :laugh: Whether you're off to Warwickshire in August or not, this is the time of year when YOU can take part in the fun by helping out with question-setting for Strangely Fascinating - QI for Discworld! :twisted: If you ARE going to the Con then you automatically get a back stage pass while we set up the show, which is going to be one of the main early evening events and (I hope) in one of the bigger conventions venues (in 2014 at Manchester we were in the main theatre! :eek: ).

As usual we have Chris Boote and Pat Harkin cast as Discworld alter-egos of Stephen Fry and Alan Davies respectively, and this time around I'll finally be able to supply proper MP4 vids which ought to make the slides that come up on the side screen(s) easier for Tech to juggle - for Nobody Knows & General Ignorance etc. I've asked for 3 other Guest panellists, hoping for Jacqueline Simpson as defending champion again and/or Rob, Stephen Briggs, Daniel Knight (Troll Bridge) or even Bernard if he makes it that far! :laugh: HOWEVER, we may need last minute substitutes for the panel as we've had one guest in the past who chickened out at the foot of the stage - so, if you're going, know an awful about Disworld, and are very nice to The Lady then this could be your chance at Discworld Medya fame! :ugeek:

The theme of this convention is obviously The Band with Rocks In and so we need our fiendish question-setters to have read and deconstructed SOUL MUSIC please to pick up nasty, obscure questions, including parallels with the Roundworld performers and songwriters who are hidden in the sub-text - the book's particularly rich in those themes so hopefully we'll have plenty to work with.

Just post in here to register your interest in taking part in pre-production and/or at the Con and I'll PM you back with our planning blog site away from here, so we keep our material nice and fresh for everyone in August! :dance:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: Strangely Fascinating III--DWCon 2016 The Band with Rock

Guys - so sorry to neglect you, but I've been busy getting a new book together. It's all released now (mostly) and all the 'heavy' tech stuff is out of the way so, from the end of next week I should have more time to put in for our 'traditional' contribution to the convention! :laugh:

Good news is that we've been confirmed as a major Sunday afternoon programme item - our slot is set for Sunday, 15:00-16:00 Main room where all the big events will be going on!
We also have set up and guest session from 14:00 - 15:00 in the main room as well. I've got some of the tech stuff sorted already to the slides and noises off, so hopefully I won't be whisked off into a side room again & forget to leave the NOBODY KNOWS paddles with the team... :oops:

As before, if anyone from the forum's convention-bound and willing to help out either before August (helping set the questions which must be Soul Music themed) or during the convention (helping get the set ready (3 tables and 5 chairs and divers screen), then you'll be most welcome :p

WWD, Penfold and Mad - you are my ROCKS! :laugh:

And... best news for last :p Verbatim from the programme team - "For the guests, we have found you Jacqueline, Peter Morwood and Daniel Knight" HOW COOL IS THAT! :mrgreen:

Will be back soonish... :violin:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Yes - Questions are king for now Penners :laugh:

The other supporting material is largely 'recycled' and has just been made MUCH easier now Powerpoint is more MP4 friendly! :laugh:

However, I'd be most grateful for all and any contributions on QI-style topics and questions, especially where we can link them into the new Atlas and/or the Roundworld refs that are legion in Soul Music.

If you're not going to the convention, you can still take part in the question-setting BUT we need to keep this off this thread so that it's going to be a surprise for everyone who is ;) If you'd like to join us then please PM me with your ideas/questions and I'll do all the behind the scenes co-ordinating over the next 2 months :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Thanks Jason - you and Mad are on the subs bench! ;)

Chaps - please feel free to PM me anytime from now on with questions/ideas for the quiz - remember it's themed to Soul Music and the Death extended family! :mrgreen: One of the great things about that book is the way Terry has woven in references to Roundworld 'folkways' so any angle on that would be really appreciated, so that some of the younger panellists stand a chance against our reigning champ... :dance:

Although my schedule's freed up for this now, I may not be obvious around the forum (I'm an admin with my book club so need to spend time over there in the week). I get notices when anyone posts in here or PMs me, so I'll be back over here whenever there's any action! :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Last bump before it all kicks off! :mrgreen:

:twisted: IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PREPARED FOR THE QUIZ COULD YOU PLEASE PM ME WITH THEM (OR TO GET MY CONTACTS FOR EMAIL) BEFORE CLOSE OF PLAY ON WEDS! :twisted:

I'll be finalising the question matrix for Chris Boote before I set off for Kenilworth early on Thursday - I CAN fit in late arrivals on the fly with the tablet when I'm at the convention, but I'd like to get the bulk of the work done before I get there and start having lots of beer... :ugeek:

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds, W Yorks
hnorwood.co.uk

Just want to say how much I enjoyed watching SF.. I don't know how you come up with the questions, nor how the panellists come up with answers - and the asides/footnotes were great, too!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Glad you enjoyed the show H! :laugh: And many, many thanks for keeping my spirits up in the morning when my scooter was having tech problems. :clap:
We're gradually getting slicker with the prep for the show - WWD and Grace Speaker over at the Cunning One's forum were almost totally responsible for the questions this time around which really helped me out. The rest of the day was a blur, but thanks to Mad helping out with the scoring I was able to relax and enjoy the show this time - Chris and Pat are just brilliant at keeping the back and forth going! :mrgreen:

Sincere and everlasting thanks again to Mad, WWD and Penners for helping out in the run up and for keeping me from going completely into orbit! :dance:

User Menu

Newsletter