The Gloob Of Thannook 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4, 8 & SEVEN

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 31, 2008
Japan
10 points to Jan for spotting the spelling mistake, which I have corrected.

But minus 10 points for everyone for not noticing the last inverted commas were missing after "Pratchett", which I have also corrected.

That leaves Jan on zero points, and as you can't go below zero according to my rules, everyoneone's level. :laugh:

I couldn't think of a 2 syllable word for an eaterie apart from bistro. As the strange dishes are a running gag, he had to eat somewhere.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
MattK said:
Uh... Cafe? Deli? Diner? Lunchroom? Pit stop? Snack bar? Soup house? Tea room? Hash house?
UK cafes don't sell prawns
Deli - part of a supermarket
Diner - American
Lunchroom - eh?
Pit stop - motor racing
Snack bar - No prawns
Tea room - no prawns
Hash house - It's for kids'. Having the Gloob get wasted and start giggling insanely in the library and grooving to the fab colours of all the books would have been silly! :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
When ever I go back to the UK, I find a greasy Joe cafe and have a wonderful fry-up with tea so thick you can stand your spoon up in it.
That is what the word cafe conjures up in my mind.

I'm sure there are plenty of prawn sarnie cafes in Manchester, but I'm not from the South. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohbcarrot said:
I'm sure there are plenty of prawn sarnie cafes in Manchester, but I'm not from the South. :laugh:
Ahem... South???

We are dead cultured here in the North West I'll have you know. Sometimes I put the radio on & deliberately listen to ladies yodelling in foreign.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I'm from Darlington, which if you check a map you will see is in the north of England.
Anyway, I thought the Lake District was the North West. :laugh:

Yodelling ladies? Sounds as bad as the new Arctic Monkeys CD which is appalling!

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
poohbcarrot said:
Sheesh! :rolleyes: I don't know! I only was injecting a bit of economic reality into the story. How does Noddy pay for the petrol for his car?

He doesn't need to raise any more cash, because he makes enough from selling his fruit and veg. :laugh:

So there!!

The next chapter is called "BOOKS".
I was answering MattK, pooh, not trying to inject some sense of logic to the story.

I do like your poems though, so keep them coming! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Noddy lives in Toy Town and drives a toy car. Toy cars don't run on petrol. If it comes to that, how does Noddy, who himself is a toy, manage to walk around? Huh? :p :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohbcarrot said:
I'm from Darlington, which if you check a map you will see is in the north of England.
Patronise much? :rolleyes: Thanks for the geography lesson. But I'm still not from the south.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan Van Quirm said:
:laugh: Urrgh - caramel kippers - waste of good caramel! :eek: Smelly socks wine sounds rather nice though - with a suitable cheeseboard to complement it :laugh:
I can just see Jilly Goolden and Oz Clarke slurping on that wine: "A fine, robust red with a distinct aroma of smelly socks - a perfect accompaniment for toffied fish dishes." :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter