THE GREAT TRANS-ATLANTIC HUMOUR BATTLE OF 2010!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Dotsie said:
So where do I stand then? I love Monty Python & Blackadder, & I think Pyramids is much funnier than Night Watch. I just think that NW is a better book o_O

Am I American then?

PS am also brilliant at Guildty :p
Eh? I won't be trying to claim that Pyramids is a better book. o_O I like Pyramids more, but that's just my preference. I also believe Pyramids is a more important book than Nightwatch, again my opinion.

However, there is a school of thought out there that simply doesn't rate Pyramids, that calls the humour "slapstick". And I don't think that it's a co-incidence that this school tends to be comprised of Americans.

So, if even American Pratchett fans don't get Pyramids, is it any wonder that TP books don't sell so well in the US? :p

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
It was "semi-slapstick", and it was just one American. That's what you would call statistically insignificant. Are you perhaps just a teensy bit offended pooh?

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
o_O At the moment Dotsie, we just ain't on the same wavelength.

Jeffinboston said:
I am so glad I never started with any of the Rincewind books, Pyramids or Small Gods, since I never would have finished any of them and would never have picked up another.

I wouldn't recommend any of the early or "one-off" books (other than Thief of Time) to a DW newbie. They're just not that compelling or interesting.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohcarrot said:

Jeffinboston said:
I am so glad I never started with any of the Rincewind books, Pyramids or Small Gods, since I never would have finished any of them and would never have picked up another.

I wouldn't recommend any of the early or "one-off" books (other than Thief of Time) to a DW newbie. They're just not that compelling or interesting.
Gods you're hard work sometimes! :laugh: I think none of us (including you as a closet nice guy :p ) are intending this to become a needle match as such, just an analytic investigation of how there's a transatlantic gulf between Old and New World humour.

Granted it's not helping that the views you want to contend with in particular happen to have been presented by two of the pithier (OK crustier/serious :twisted: ) members of the American contingent, but notice that people are assuming already that this will be an acrimonious debate so far as the 'other' faction is concerned as no one's yet come in on that 'side' o_O

So Gobsang, what do we do 'cos if people think this is going to turn belligerent quite speedily we're likely to have nobody turning up to argue with us (we're a pretty intimidating gang in here so far after all)? Turn the pitch down a little bit huh? 8) and celebrate Yule with seasonal bon homie - what am I saying! :oops: - obviously we slaughter the damned Frenchies! :twisted:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
TP is the second biggest selling living author in the UK behind J K Rowling. Every book that he publishes is a No 1 best-seller in the UK.

Yet in the US he doesn't even merit a place in the top 1,000 authors. However, other UK authors that he eclipses sales-wise in the UK make the top 1,000 US list.

Why?

I have no intention of being anti-American in the slightest. However, there is more than an ocean that seperates the UK and the US.

Anyhow, my religious interpretations of Pyramids are what you should be more worried about. :twisted:

PS I have absolutely nothing against the French. Unlike Tony Bliar, they realised that the Iraq war was pants!

(I'm just trying to make it a lively discussion. :rolleyes: )

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
We know that but does everyone else? :eek: :laugh:

Dear Americans - we honestly do want to have a fun discussion in here so in the spirit of conciliation and wanting to convince you that there's be no nastiness WHATSOEVER going on in here, please do watch this spiffing clip from MP & the Holy Grail of knightly honour and integrity (unless you don't like the sight of blood... ;) )

CLICK HERE

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I thought the clips were funny, but I wouldn't class them as hilarious!
Pythons best sketch (for me) will always be the Dead Parrot sketch.

I much prefer NightWatch to Pyramids.
I did enjoy the beginning of Pyramids, until the story left AM and switched to Djeli, and I felt that the ending of the book was too sudden - like TP had a deadline to meet and just quickly ended the story.
I liked the book more on my second reading of it, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't hold a candle to NW.

You'll need to tread carefully, pooh, to ensure that the debate doesn't resemble a UK v USA spat.
Every member of this forum (regardless of where they reside) adds to the richness and diversity of debate and madness that makes this forum such a joy.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
As far as sales are concerned - it depends on how you count them. :)

The current population of the USA is approx: 304 million in the UK it's 61 million. So the population of the US is about 5 times larger than the UK. Therefore Terry would have to sell 5 times as many books in the US to match the amount of books sold in the UK.

For some unknown reason, Publishers Weekly, who seem to compile the Bestseller list in the US has set the rules for inclusion so that books like Terry's (and JK Rowling's) aren't included.

So it's any one's guess how many books Terry sells in the US. But looking at the blurb on the covers of the US books, his work is highly praised by all the top critics.

One thing that I've noticed while browsing bookstores over here is the amount of American authors I've never heard of before. I suspect an American in a UK bookstore would have a similar experience with unknown British authors. The very fact that Terry's books can readily be found in ANY US bookstore says an awful lot for his popularity here.

Only last week we were in Borders replacing some of Sharlene's DW books that she's worn out with rereading and they pretty much had the whole series there. When Sharlene had her bookstore, they certainly carried the whole series and Terry is published by Harper Collins - one of the biggest US publishing houses.

I'd say that he was pretty popular over here. ;)

As to Monty Python and other British comedy series - PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) is currently running a series of the best of Monty Python, and any day of the week over here you can see numerous 'classic' British comedy series.

Americans have no problem understanding British humour - at least not in my experience.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:

Jeffinboston said:

And I don't see the word "slapstick" in there anywhere. And that's the word that you seem to have a problem with.

If you check out the "Least favourite discworld book" thread, you'll see that Pyramids gets named by three forum members, two of them resident in the UK, and one in the US. So what does that mean? That Americans like the book more than the British of course :rolleyes:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:rolleyes: Let's get this slapstick issue put to bed here and now and leave the Nightwatch v Pyramids grudge debate that appears to be building up in this forum for other threads where they're being given more intensive and civilised consideration :p

Here's what pooh means about the passionate exchange that's prompted him to create this funfest... :laugh:

poohcarrot said:
swreader said:
Pooh, I get the impression that the books you like have lots of semi-slapstick comedy bits - and that's why you like them (though I may be totally wrong about this)
SW I get the impression that you DON'T like Pyramids (though I may be totally wrong about this), because you think the humour is semi-slapstick. I think you are dead wrong about the humour classification, and it is exactly that kind of assumption that makes TP books not big sellers in the US as opposed to in the UK. :p
That's considered opinion from 2 eloquent and committed Pterry fans expressed in their personal idiosyncratic styles, so let's leave that particular duel to pan out when Pyramids gets it's own thread in the sun and clear the decks for the purpose this thread was created for...? ;)

THE GREAT TRANS-ATLANTIC HUMOUR BATTLE OF 2010 :twisted:
Ground Rules
1. NO Pterry comparative arguments on international sales figures or the books themselves
especially between Nightwatch and Pyramids - they have another pre-booked and separate floor(s) to be canvassed.
We're all Pterry fans here so it's really pointless using Discworld humour to score points - most of us have lots of favourites and not so many 'not keens' and so this has nothing to do with nationality and/or ethnicity and proves nothing because we're ALL biased in this respect ;)

2. make your points as you wish but if you want to include clips, try to use ones that illustrate that and aren't just appealing to the audience's funny bones for cheap laughs - have them for a reason.

3. in the same way if you want to illustrate why the other faction doesn't understand, do so for the purpose of supporting your argument not to start cream pie fights :p

Everyone happy with that? 8)

OK - I took my side already, because I do think there is a difference between Old and New World humour, but it's not a blanket one except in the very broadest sense of media demographics that takes no true account of individual preferences except on a bums on seats basis. Nobody on this forum is that classifiable, so it's taken as read that we are all talking in general terms and won't make any cheap shots against the French or indeed the Germans, even though everyone knows they have no sense of humour whatsoever... :eek: :oops: :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
SWreader said:
Pooh, you silly boy--of course you understood every word. Though I can expect that you'll find something to disagree with me about. That's what makes these (book discussions) fun.
Couldn't agree with you more SW. :laugh:
I agree that we should agree on agreeing to disagree.

(Don't understand what everybody else's getting all het up about o_O )

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
Zeno of Elea

An ancient Greek philosopher

Zeno's Achilles and the tortoise paradox

“ In a race, the quickest runner can never overtake the slowest, since the pursuer must first reach the point whence the pursued started, so that the slower must always hold a lead. ”
—Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b15

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of points Achilles must reach where the tortoise has already been, he can never overtake the tortoise. Of course, simple experience tells us that Achilles will be able to overtake the tortoise, which is why this is a paradox

Pyramids "X"eno

The same paradox but using an arrow and succesfully creating a load of tortoise kebabs. :laugh:

Slapstick

"The type of humour that is based on simple actions eg; people hitting each other, falling down etc"

Erudite

"Having or showing great knowledge that is gained from academic study."

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:

Jeffinboston said:
[/b]
Now, dear sir, you condemn all of us Yanks as PTerry-dislikers just because I alone found Pyramids to be tedious, unfunny, and hovering at the very bottom of the DW pantheon? Whilst proud that you chose me to represent the philisitinic (philistinian? philinic?) tastes of the American public, I suggest that perhaps, sir, you may wish to refrain from making such blanket generalizations of Americans until at least TWO of us weigh in on it. If one other Yank says they like the book, then feel free to conclude that, "50% of all American DW readers LIKED "Pyramids." Half of us shall sleep easier knowing that we have your approval on this score at least.
:rolleyes:

For the record, as a lifelong Anglophilic TV watcher since Python was first unleashed upon our shores in the mid 1970s, I have seen every single one of the clips of the shows you posted, and liked all of them. Plus "Python," "Reginald Perrin," "Yes Minister," "Red Dwarf," etc. Even "Blackadder." (Yanks who have only been exposed to Hugh Laurie through his marvelous 'serious' work in 'House' are totally missing his amazing comedic side.) I hope I score a few points on your taste meter for despising "Benny Hill" and all those tedious Brit comedies featuring old grumpy retired people.

Even with all that anglo-exposure, I still dislike "Pyramids" immensely. As we say on this side of the pond, YMMV. But I do look forward to seeing the case you make for it. :)

Jeff in Boston

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
raisindot said:
Whilst proud that you chose me to represent the philisitinic (philistinian? philinic?) tastes of the American public, I suggest that perhaps, sir, you may wish to refrain from making such blanket generalizations of Americans until at least TWO of us weigh in on it.
I agree with you 100% Jeffinboston. However the current score is two Americans don't like Pyramids. So I calculate that as.......still 100%! :laugh:

As more Americans join the discussion, I will gladly alter the figure accordingly. :p

Just because you have all the vids of British humour doesn't mean you understand them all. I've got a video player but haven't got the faintest idea how it works, sir. :laugh:

(I hope nobody takes any of this toot-talking personally, because it's only typical British humour - but I'm sure you already know that :laugh: )

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter