THE GREAT TRANS-ATLANTIC HUMOUR BATTLE OF 2010!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
HEY, I Love Pyramids. I really, really do. Seeing the growing up in the desert with a crazy da, then his real growing up in A-M in the guild is Marvelous. When he "inherits" it gets even better. The Worlds Greatest Mathematician, Ptraci being his sister, it is hilarious. I loved the part where all the mummies came back and had to be translated by intermediately aged ones. Death's reaction when they all show up and he gives up and says "ok, then at least form an orderly queue". And at the end, Dios comes out of the river with an agenda. Whats not to love?

MONTY PYTHON Rocks! I adore every episode, interview and bit of it. Eric Idle should not be an author, but I think he proved that well. THEY, however were and still are Fantastic! 8)

Now, Benny Hill falls in with The Three Stooges as far as I am concerned. It takes no intelligence whatsoever to understand Fart and Booby humour.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Just because you have all the vids of British humour doesn't mean you understand them all. I've got a video player but haven't got the faintest idea how it works, sir. :laugh:
Dear sir, I would be very happy to help get your video player working for you. I have always wanted to visit Japan. I await the ticket with the greatest anticipation.

To the comment, however, by all means I wouldn't even dream of being able to understand all or even a significant portion of British humor. To this day I still haven't figured out why "Are You Being Served" lasted more than five episodes. :laugh:

On a side note, many years ago, there was a program on public TV featuring debates between Yanks and Brits at either Oxford or Cambridge (being a Yank, they're all the same to me). One of these programs posited the topic: "British humor is funnier than American humor."

It was totally unfair. The Brits had an extremely droll person who had the looks of a young Hugh Grant and the wit of Oscar Wilde representing their side, while the U.S. was represented by (shudder!!!!) Steve Allen and (SHUDDER!!!!) Alan King. It wasn't even close. The best line came from the British guy, when King did some awful shtick about hosting an event to bestow upon the Brits the designation of "honorary Jews." To which the Brit replied, without missing a beat, "I hope you will allow me to skip the ribbon cutting ceremony."

Now THAT'S humor.

Jeff in Boston

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Bus tickets? Do you think I'm made of money? I was going to send an inflatable duck. :laugh:

Here is an update on the score.

66.666% of Americans don't like Pyramids.

(I actually nearly suggested to J-I-B to send a pm to Tina coz I knew she'd like Pyramids, but then I thought better of it. :laugh: )

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Bus tickets? Do you think I'm made of money? I was going to send an inflatable duck. :laugh:

Who is that .6666 person? Is s/he related to the .5 average child everyone has?

As far as the NW vs. Pyramids battle, it goes without saying from this quarter NW is vastly preferred over Pyramids. Then again, I'd re-read COM before I re-read Pyramids.

[Ducking the inflatable duck projectile launched from the Land of the Rising Sun]

J-I-B.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:

(I actually nearly suggested to J-I-B to send a pm to Tina coz I knew she'd like Pyramids, but then I thought better of it. :laugh: )
To paraphrase the late great Jim Croce:

"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull down the mask of the old Lone Ranger
And I wouldn't PM about P with Tina. "

:laugh:

J-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
THERE IS NO NIGHTWATCH V PYRAMIDS BATTLE! :rolleyes:

There never has been. I love NW. I just prefer Pyramids. That is my own personal choice. I am not, and have never been trying to convince anyone that Pyramids is a better book than Nightwatch. :rolleyes:

There are some big personal factors (which everyone is unaware of) involved in my preference for pyramids. I will reveal all when the Pyramids discussion thread starts.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
raisindot said:
poohcarrot said:

Who is that .6666 person? Is s/he related to the .5 average child everyone has?

As far as the NW vs. Pyramids battle, it goes without saying from this quarter NW is vastly preferred over Pyramids. Then again, I'd re-read COM before I re-read Pyramids.

[Ducking the inflatable duck projectile launched from the Land of the Rising Sun]

J-I-B.
<Who is that .6666 person? Is s/he related to the .5 average child everyone has?>maybe a relative to the number of the beast
:laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter