The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Hopefully its all good. I had workmen in and with the book being registered mail thought it would be ok for them to sign. Found a collection slip in the bin and just managed to save the book from being sent back by the post office.

Not o worry you. :laugh:

Sep 16, 2010
southampton
i shall wear midnight

:laugh: i have spent 40 odd years breaking the bottom of my hard boiled egg shells so that witches could not use them as boats. this is the first time i have found anyone else who has heard of this :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: i shall wear midnight

bishthefish said:
:laugh: i have spent 40 odd years breaking the bottom of my hard boiled egg shells so that witches could not use them as boats. this is the first time i have found anyone else who has heard of this :laugh:
It's the first time I'd heard of it. :laugh:

Wouldn't it be easier to open the egg at the big end? A very Swiftian thing to do.

Welcome to the site, bishthefish!

Just finished reading it - and am very surprised that it went straight into my top5 Discworld novels (I'm a Guards/Vime orientated fan). As Tiffany is getting older (though witches are born old, or get to be born old very quickly) I think she is easier for TP to describe. I do not think there is anything particularly "Young Adult" about the book, either; Death, both of old age and violence to the unborn, are major issues at the beginning of the book, and there is the casual acceptance of loss of virginity at the end. There is no major silly character, either. This seems to be one of the most grown up Discworld novels I have read.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

Long time no post !

Hi to all of you. Sorry I haven't been around for such a long while.

TBH, I'd fallen a lot out of love for Terry, (and can't even start to finish Unseen Academicals), BUT I've just finished 'I shall wear Midnight', and have to say that I loved it. Again, TBH, I wasn't the Biggest Tiffany Aching fan, but am now inspired to re-visit her books and get re-aquainted...

ISWM has got the odd bit that made my Heart sigh, and my eyes run, But I don't like what Terry did to Esk, who, IMO, deserved at least another story of her own, before appearing here in this Weird form... I'd have thought she was way too 'Unfufilled' to be cast the way she was.

Also, there seems to be a lot less 'Laugh out Louds' than before. Is this what one gets in a So-Called 'Teen' Book ? (As this book seems quite serious), And just what IS a 'Teen' book ?

I really miss the Bellylaughs I get from Terrys earlier Books...

Still, 8 out of Ten, though. :laugh: It'll be nice to Re-Read...

See you around.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Great to see you again, feanor and welcome back! :laugh:

I have to say that UA isn't my favourite either, but it's worth the effort in the end.

Glad ISWM has reignited your desire for Pratchett. I think we may hear more about Esk in future books. There's definitely a lot been left unsaid I think. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'm not reading any comments at in this thread, but am just posting to say that I it FINALLY went on sale in the U.S. and I FINALLY got my copy of the book today (from the library. Sorry PTerry). Amazingly enough, less than 8 people in the entire metro Boston area had it on reserve so I got mine right away. The U.S. cover is just as bad in person as it is in the promo pictures.

Am going to light into this thing like a dwarf onto rat.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter