The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
poohcarrot said:
I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.
Every single one of them was great, but I must say that "The Wee Free Men" wasn't as good as the two books to follow; not that the first one was bad, but "A Hat Full of Sky" and "Wintersmith" were pretty amazing! :laugh:

If I have to choose a favourite... Hm, I'm not really sure, I think I'll go for the Hat. Wintersmith is a close second, mind you!

The Tiffany series are a great way for Pratchett to continue where he left off the Witches-series and he did a wonderful job! And although I occasionally get nostalgic (and with a tear on my face remember the good ol' times and Magrat and Agnes :laugh:) PTerry has introduced us to some GREAT characters - Miss Tick, Miss Level, Miss Treason, Annagramma and all the other witches, and let's not forget: The Feegles and the star of the whole show, la creme de la creme, Miss Tiffany Aching!

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.
:rolleyes: is there no romance in the world? :twisted:
A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :laugh: )

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I found Wintersmith got better with more readings. But Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book for us. It's my favourite of the trio so far.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
:rolleyes: is there no romance in the world? :twisted:
A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :laugh: )
Or, a woman is nice to man, who then thinks "at last! The woman is obssessed with me, I will show her how much I love her by killing a few people and making her miserable, then she will be mine!!!" The oldest story, happens all the time :rolleyes:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Jan Van Quirm said:
It was the ice crystal roses wot done it! The snowflakes and the iceberg were a little too ostentatious but of course males always like to show off... :twisted:
See, that's why I felt "Wintersmith" stretched credulity. Now, if Wintersmith had been a typical man he would have given Tiffany an electric shovel. :)

Jeff in Boston

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
Tonyblack said:
I found Wintersmith got better with more readings. But Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book for us. It's my favourite of the trio so far.
For "us"? Your and... Perdita X? :laugh:

And next autumn... that's like almost a year. Lawks! (I've always wanted to say it, but it feels out of context every time I try. :laugh: Ah well, one of my all-time favourite parts of Wyrd Sisters). I guess Terry is now writing just one book a year. :rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I loved the Hat !!!
And thanks for the offer, WWDug, that's very nice of you, if I find time enough to reread them i'll take a note if I don't understand something!

p.s. you should be careful in offering your help, you've just being taken on your word! ;) :laugh:

And

Lance-Corporal
Dec 27, 2009
NE England.
I always watched Rab C. Nesbitt* and tuned into his speech eventually. This skill proved EXTREMELY useful with the Nac Mac Feegles.

*One of the greatest comedy creations ever and vastly, vastly under-rated imo.

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
do you realise we are upside down here? Autumn here is March.
but I don't suppose you meant then?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
lyn said:
who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
do you realise we are upside down here? Autumn here is March.
but I don't suppose you meant then?
:laugh: Nice try lyn, but it doesn't work like that. Maybe you'll get it in autumn 2011 just for that! :p ;)

Dandelion

Lance-Constable
Nov 19, 2009
Germany
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: Nice try lyn, but it doesn't work like that. Maybe you'll get it in autumn 2011 just for that! :p ;)
That'd be the usual delay for me, as I'm a paperback reader.. Even worse is the fact, that I could get a translated german paperback version at least six months earlier. Wouldn't there be the fact, that 90% of the humor in the Discworld books is lost in translation, I could sometimes get tempted..

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dandelion said:
Tonyblack said:
That'd be the usual delay for me, as I'm a paperback reader.. Even worse is the fact, that I could get a translated german paperback version at least six months earlier. Wouldn't there be the fact, that 90% of the humor in the Discworld books is lost in translation, I could sometimes get tempted..
It seems to depend on the translator. I've heard, from people who have read the German versions, that the translator does a real good job with the humour, but as a lot of members here will agree, reading the books in English is the best way. :laugh:

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
In an interview at the Guardian Book Club, Pratchett remarked that the book is an urban fantasy. For example, the book features an urban witch, Mrs. Crause, who does not like the countryside and all of whose magic is to do with the city.
Source: Wikipedia

Sounds promising! And then again - Ankh-Morpork => Esk? :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter