The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Having read all of the Tiffany books the thought that keeps coming to my mind is that Tiffany is Granny's natural successor as the Hag 'o Hags. This could be Granny's last appearance, all witches have to die sometime after all (and they usually know what time it will be).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I really don't see why Terry would kill off Granny - there's no need. She's one of the most popular characters and anyhow, Tiffany will be going back to the Chalk eventually.

Terry doesn't kill off characters for the sake of it. He certainly doesn't do what a certain other author of a popular fantasy series did - announce that she'd be killing off a major character, start a whole bunch of speculation and then only kill off someone who we'd only just been introduced to in the first place. :rolleyes:

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Tiffany is tied to the chalk I agree, but is there any reason why the hag 'o hags couldn't be a witch of the chalk?

If 'I shall wear Midnight' was to be the last appearance of Granny it wouldn't surprise me, simply because Tiffany has been developed as such a strong character who clearly has Granny's approval. Granny may disappear in a way that will always have us wondering where she went and whether or nor she will come back.

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
I think Tiffany can learn a lot from Esk - that is IF Esk returns in ISWM; them meeting will be really interesting. :laugh:

And I hope we'll see Agnes and Magrat for the last time... A kind of reunion. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sharlene and Iwere talking about this earlier and wondered if maybe Terry would be writing this set in Tiffany's future - maybe when she's an older lady herself. In which case Granny would be dead anyway.

There's no reason that the books have to follow a strict timeline after all. :)

I think he is thinking of making Granny die soon - I reckon that was the whole point of Tiffany being trained and seeing the other young witches ... It's to show us that yes there will be a time when Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax will no longer be around and Tiffany will be like Granny Weatherwax in some ways but I also think she'll be like Nanny Ogg in other's ...

And Magrat will when grey and old look at covens as a way of getting someone else to make the tea ...
:laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Tonyblack said:
Sharlene and Iwere talking about this earlier and wondered if maybe Terry would be writing this set in Tiffany's future - maybe when she's an older lady herself. In which case Granny would be dead anyway.

Can't see that happening. It's meant to be a children's book, so there must be children in it ie; Tiff. Who's to say that Esk has grown up though?

I also can't see the point of killing off Granny. Killing off one of the major characters would seem too much like the beginning of the end for Discworld. Certain characters are, and will always be, immortal.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Pooh's quite right :eek: :rolleyes: They're book characters - they're all immortal. :laugh:

I agree that Tiffany and Granny will both continue to be alive and kicking bottom. The only person not immortal is Terry himself, so, as he is such a kind and noble person, he won't be killing off any of his principal characters who have inspired and delighted his fans and indeed himself.

Also in Roundworld terms how old are the original Witches? Nanny has gradkids and Jason her eldest doesn't appear to be that ancient so Nanny, being an obliging wench (and starting her matriarchal career young as t'were) may only be in her early 50's perhaps :twisted: Witches age differently anyway - croneship has to be worked at and once they're done with making babies (if they choose that route) there's only one place to go in the coven hierarchy. Also remember that Granny has perfect skin and that isn't because she's assiduously avoided frowning, glaring and other wrinkle inducing activities. She's no older than Nanny remember... ;)

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
Tonyblack said:

Do you mean Tiffany & Esk, or Tiffany, Magrat and Agnes?

Hm, just imagine... Tiffany as the maid, Agnes as the mother and Magrat as... the other one. :laugh:

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have to agree - these characters are immortal.
what point would be made by killing them off? especially important characters like Granny Weatherwax.
but I like how everyone's imagination works and speculation runs rife.

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It would be a huge thing, to remove Granny from the story - however, that's what Granny is all about: The Story. She says, "The story goes on..." regardless of the characters or the time and place. It's always about the story. To remove Granny and put in a new Hag O'Hags (Tiffany may be a Chalk witch tied to the Chalk, but Granny reminds us that the Chalk also contains flint - and to those ends, Granny is entirely out of her element when she's not in Lancre) would illustrate that principle - that the story always goes on.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I like it. But it's been done before (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - young wizard surrounded by fire at the side of his mentor). Still, HP doesn't have any feegles in it :p

Jan 1, 2010
Is the old witch meant to be Granny? and if so why is she holding a shepherds crook? Also is Tiffany holding a red hot iron bar?

Or are these questions we need to read the book to answer?

Looks pretty cool though

User Menu

Newsletter