SPOILERS The Long Earth Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Maybe a controversial subject but . . . How much Pratchett is there in the Long Earth books. I've read them all and can see the bare hint of Pratchett in there. He's definitely there, but it seems more Baxter than Pratchett.

If these books were just by Baxter, would we have read the?

Has anyone been tempted to read Baxter, based on what they've read in this series?

Personally I see a very small influence by Terry and what I assume is Baxter. However, I have nearer read Baxter (nor been inclined to) so I don't know his style. I read the series because they had "Pratchett" on the cover. I enjoyed the series, but like the Science of Discworld books, I don't see Terry in the writing much.

What do you think of he Long Earth series?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Perhaps the overall "many worlds" theme is Pterry's, but I think most of the plot and basic writing is Baxter. The main Pterry influence I see is the characterization of Lobsang. Some of his dialogue definitely seems to carry the trademark Pterry style of his better books. And perhaps the idea that iron can't travel from world to world, which Pterry's used as a plot element in Lords and Ladies.

But I honestly think that after the first book Pterry's involvement seemed to recede as his illness curtailed his involvement. Each book gets exceedingly worse. Three and four were almost unreadable. Five was a bit of a bounce back because you could see the "end" was near, but it wasn't a great series overall.

The original concept (and short story "The High Meggas", included in special editions of the book) were all by Pratchett, but the series we see appears to be mostly written by Baxter - which makes sense, as Terry knew he didn't have much time left and spent most of what time he could writing his remaining Discworld novels.

I do think the first few had at least significant parts written by Pratchett, but the back end of the series is pretty much all Baxter, although I'm sure the two of them worked together on the outlines/plot/character arcs of all the books.

I suspect that what throws most Pratchett readers off about the Long Earth series, is that there's not all that much humour, and what is there isn't full of jokes - it's just characters (well, Lobsang mostly) being funny, just like that friend of yours who is always quipping.

That being said, although I did enjoy the Long Earth series, it hasn't made me want to go out and read more of Stephen Baxter's works. Intellectual sci-fi is all well and good (and the Long Earth certainly feels like this - it's an exploration of ideas rather than a compelling narrative), but I prefer world-building coupled with deep characters and an exciting plot.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I read all of the books twice - I honestly don't see a great deal of depth in them. There are some interesting concepts and a lot of question that come to mind, but I'd say it was generally mediocre SciFi.

I also agree with Tony. And The Long War is certainly the worst of the 5 books. They all explore some interesting ideas about what people would do with infinite earths... but that's mostly what the books are about. "What if....?" without there being much in the way of a storyline to follow, and not much character development either. Skip them if you can't be bothered.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh. :( Hmm ... IIRC, Pterry started out writing sci-fi. Would "The Long..." series have been better if Pterry had stuck with it, d'you think? *shrug*

But if he had, we wouldn't have had Discworld. So maybe it was for the best. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
One of the things that really bugged me in The Long Mars was how did they manage to cut a section of the space elevator cable, considering it was so incredibly tough?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree, Mokolov - all series have to have a weal link and The Long War is the on in this series.

I just want to add that, please don't let negative comments in this thread put you off reading these books. I have read a LOT worse SciFi books that this series

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Same here, Tony, although I've also read some Stephen Baxter and can honestly say that I am not a fan. The Long Earth book (I didn't go any further than this) very much strikes me as being in Stephen's style and language with Terry's name added as an afterthought, as though it was just based on his ideas (a bit like the way the 'Watchmen' series is being reported as going). I liked the concept, just not the writing.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have the Long War and the rest of the series, read the Long Earth ages ago might have to have a quick refresh read before the L.W when I get around to it, just so many to read a the moment trouble is there are so many authors I like so its an ongoing thing, recently bought latest Tad Williams, Seanan McGuire, Richard Kadrey, Annalee Newitz and Tom Holt with more in the pipeline. And with Eastercon coming up in a few months they always have a big dealers room there.

User Menu

Newsletter