SPOILERS The Marvellous MCU!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've recently been on a big Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) kick and thought it might be nice to discuss some of it here. I've watched all the films that have been released (Not Captain Marvel yet) and have now watched all five series of Agents of Shield, the two series of Agent Carter and the first series of Jessica Jones. I have the first series of Luke Cage on order.

I have to say I'm loving it. I've decided that David Tennant's character, Kilgrave, from Jessica Jones, is perhaps the most chillingly scary character in the whole MCU.

What do you think? What is your favourite film in the MCU? Have you seen and enjoyed any of the spin off series? Are there any Marvel characters you'd love to see in the MCU?

Beware of possible spoilers ahead. :)

Nov 21, 2010
Kilgrave was soooo good. Season 1 of JJ was good too, not been able to get through season 2 but will have another go. I enjoyed season 1 of Luke Cage.

Agents of Shield, loved it too, and all its timey whimey. Poor Fitz though.

Despite the fact that the MCU has been my beating heart for over ten years I rarely get to go to cinema any more since parenthood - 3 times in the past five years.

Having said that I'm up to date apart from the newest season of The Punisher and have not watched Cloak and Dagger yet. Currently enjoying The Runaways and will no doubt catch Captain Marvel on DVD.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
...Shazam's DC, not MCU. Though he WAS originally called Captain Marvel. And then, there's Shazam's shameless ripoff in Marvelman, now Miracleman...

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
...Shazam's DC, not MCU. Though he WAS originally called Captain Marvel. And then, there's Shazam's shameless ripoff in Marvelman, now Miracleman...
I know, I just added that as an aside. DC's Captain Marvel is the original, first hitting stands in 1939. DC renamed their New 52/Rebirth version of "Captain Marvel" to "Shazam" in 2012, due in part to Marvel holding the trademark on the name.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I have no objection to posting in this thread, about films from DC - it's a general super hero thread. Personally, I think the best DC film so far is Wonder Woman. Although I also enjoyed the Christopher Nolan Batman films.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
If this is a general superhero film thread, or even TV series, then can I make an observation?

One of my personal favourite films is the adaptation of Watchmen. I know Alan Moore gets pi**y about adaptations of his works (and okay, he's got a point where From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are concerned), but I personally think that, short of actually doing a TV series (and I mean one that is a more straightforward adaptation of the comics, not what HBO is doing now), what Zack Snyder did was as best as you can get...well, exaggerating the gore, too much slo-mo, and some questionable soundtrack choices aside (Leonard Cohen singing 'Hallelujah' in particular). Seriously, how they dealt with Ozymandias' plot at the end was neater than the comic book version...though you have to wonder how the Comedian found out.

Another film I enjoyed...well, was Deadpool. The plot was pretty damn thin, the hopping back and forth through flashbacks aside, but Ryan Reynolds WAS Deadpool.

There's also been a couple of recent anime series that have superheroes and their culture, both of which were enjoyable, namely One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia. The former is about a hero who has trained up so much, he defeats all his opponents with a single punch...which leads to him gaining a rather apathetic attitude. He wants a challenge he can go all out against. As you can imagine, this is more of a comedy series than anything else.

The latter is set in a world where 80% of the world has a power or 'Quirk' of some kind, and those without are looked down upon. The main character, Izuku Midoriya, cruelly nicknamed 'Deku' or useless by a former friend, still wants to be a hero despite having no quirk. He manages to catch the eye of his idol, the paragon of heroes All Might, who, after reconsidering his original evalutation of Izuku's dreams, decides to make Izuku his successor, for his Quirk, a strength enhancing one called One for All, can be transferred from person to person, and All Might, after suffering a bad injury, can't keep up heroic work for much longer.

I recommend both, but particularly the latter. One Punch Man does get a bit same-y at times, but it gets better as it progresses. The anime adaptation of My Hero Academia actually improves on the manga, though I've only seen the first few episodes.

Also, going back to your praise of Wonder Woman, Tonyblack...I haven't seen it myself, but a few commentators have pointed out that the reason why that film was good was that it was based quite a bit on an earlier animated film of Wonder Woman. Personally, I think, if it lets the DC films prevent themselves from imploding, then go for it. They're only plagiarising from themselves...

User Menu

Newsletter