The Quatermass Perpetual Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 38

Fate/Zero volume 2, by Shinjiro, based on the novels by Gen Urobochi and the Fate/Stay Night franchise by Type-Moon.

Having read and enjoyed the first volume of the Fate/Zero manga, it’s past time that I obtained the next volumes in the series. But would the second volume be as good as the first? Let’s find out…

Arturia and Irisviel confront Lancer, and as the two Servants fight, Kiritsugu’s plan to try and kill off Lancer’s Master, Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald, is halted when Assassin starts watching the battle. But soon, more arrivals come to interrupt the fight: Rider, aka Iskandar, makes an offer to Arturia and Lancer to join him in conquering the world; Archer, the arrogant Gilgamesh, is incensed by what he considers their disrespect of him; and Berserker, a mysterious dark knight whose Master is an obsessed, disfigured man with barely any control over his Servant. A literal clash of the titans takes place, but will anyone be able to survive?

Where the first volume was bogged down in exposition, the second volume has the opposite problem, mostly concerned with the battles between Arturia and Lancer, and between Berserker and Archer, then Arturia. It almost gets into shounen manga territory, with one-upmanship and trump cards and boasting and posturing. What’s more, the manga drags these action scenes out, though this may be because I am more familiar with the anime (and with it, a more kinetic medium) compared to the manga.

Despite this, it’s still an enjoyable volume, with the action well done, and some quite excellent humour, most of it revolving around Waver and Iskandar (though to see Arturia and Lancer’s angry expressions done in a comedic manga style in one panel is enjoyable). We also have the proper introductions of Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald, and Kariya Matou, and we have some scenes and lines of dialogue that weren’t in the anime that actually clarify a couple of points that are only implied or else missed out in the anime adaptation. So while not as heavy on the exposition, there is still a lot to commend this volume.

Overall, I felt that this volume of Fate/Zero was very enjoyable. That being said, I know that it takes a very dark turn for the next volume, having flicked through it…

FIRST WORDS
: That obvious fighting spirit you exude

LAST WORDS: By the Command Seals…I so order you.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 39

Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet by James Goss, based on the script by Douglas Adams.

It seems that the BBC are trying to finish off the last gaps in the Doctor Who stories yet to be novelised. Certainly, they’re doing so with Douglas Adams’ stories, and with The Pirate Planet, they finish, ironically, with his first transmitted story. While jokey and too ambitious for TV at the time, it’s nonetheless a decent story. So how would James Goss handle this one?

While searching for the Second Segment of the Key to Time, the Doctor, Romana and K9 intend to visit the dull and boring Calufrax. But their landing is marred by a disturbance in space and time, and they find that though they landed at the right place, they are on the wrong planet. Zanak is a world where valuable metals and minerals and jewels are commonplace, miracles that are brought about by the tyrannical Captain, who forbids questions and the inquisitive. Meanwhile, sinister psychics, the Mourners, kidnap people for their own purposes. What happened to Calufrax? What ghastly crimes are perpetrated by the Captain? Are the Mourners evil, or something that can fight against it? And what does it have to do with Xanxia, the thought-dead tyrant queen of Zanak?

James Goss apparently based this on a variety of sources, including the first draft of the story, and while it should be very familiar to those who have watched the TV show, this version actually feels more polished in some regards. Freed from the budgetary restraints of TV, this story feels like it is more epic, and examines themes that were only touched on in the TV program. There’s even a stronger epic sense to the story, especially in the climax. There’s, if anything, even more humour.

The characters are a delight, especially the very bombastic Captain, who was one of the best things of the TV show. My main complaint this time is really with Kimus, who is shown to be a rather ineffectual rebel in this, and is pointed out to be such. But the Mourners, the novel’s versions of the Mentiads, are actually better than they are on TV. Plus, we have hints of a larger game going on, as well as more depth to Xanxia that is, frankly, badly needed.

While not perfect by any means, The Pirate Planet does a good job of taking a decent, if jokey, Doctor Who story, and making it much better. Here’s to the next novelisations, should there be any…

****½

FIRST WORDS:
It rained diamonds that day, but no one cared.

LAST WORDS: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 40

Fate/Zero volume 3, by Shinjiro, based on the novels by Gen Urobochi and the Fate/Stay Night franchise by Type-Moon.

Now, I come to the latest of the Fate/Zero volumes released to date, the third one. I had a brief flick through it, and knew some very dark imagery was to come. But would that mar my enjoyment of this volume too much?

As Lancer is forced against his will to help Berserker kill Arturia, Iskandar intervenes. But soon, dark new players emerge. Vicious serial killer Ryuunosuke Uryu, in his attempts to summon a demon, has summoned Caster, aka Gilles de Rais, former associate of Jeanne d’Arc and a vicious serial killer himself. What’s more, he believes Arturia to be Jeanne, and won’t take no for an answer. Meanwhile, Kariya Matou thinks back to the shocking events that led to him becoming the Master of Berserker, events that are sending him spiralling into obsession and madness…

Perhaps the worst thing about this volume is the very graphic imagery. In fact, I am glad they toned it down for the anime adaptation of the original novels (and that was disturbing enough). We see the victims of Ryuunosuke and Caster in very lurid and macabre detail, very off-putting, and worse, we get to see a far more graphic rendition of what the Crest Worms do to Sakura, something that is disturbing enough in the more tame rendition in the anime. This volume is certainly not for the faint of heart or the easily disgusted or even those who are a bit more inured to such things. I’m certainly surprised it wasn’t censored significantly more.

That being said, I think that this volume would have scored much better had it not been for the graphic imagery. This time around, there’s a better balance of exposition and action, with more of the motivations of Kirei, Ryuunosuke, and Kariya examined. It even has some good humour in the sequence where Arturia has to suffer through Irisviel’s driving. It also once more clears up some points that weren’t made as clear in the anime adaptation.

Overall, this volume of the Fate/Zero manga could have been better, but unfortunately, it was heavily marred by graphic depictions of grotesque and disturbing imagery. A shame, really, as it could have been better than what happened before.

FIRST WORDS:
Lancer.

LAST WORDS: Tokiomi…Tohsaka!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 41

Doctor Who: The Chase by John Peel.

The Chase is unlikely to be in the top ten of any Doctor Who fan’s favourite TV stories. With an excuse of a storyline, some rather dodgy humour, and some equally dodgy attempts to market a rival to the Daleks in the Mechonoids, it does have a number of shortcomings. But how would the novelisation fare?

The Daleks have had enough of the Doctor interfering with their plans. They have now created a time machine, and have sent it off in pursuit of the Doctor and his companions to kill them. The time travellers, while exploring Aridius, have little warning, and even upon escaping Aridius and the Daleks, soon find themselves chased through time and space. From the Empire State Building to the Mary Celeste, and even a haunted house, the Doctor and his companions will find it hard-pressed to save themselves from the pursuit of the Daleks…

Let’s get this out of the way: The Chase has very much an excuse plot to go through time and space with the Daleks in tow. While a variety of alien environments are showcased, it’s basically one big romp with little plot, designed to bring back the Daleks quickly to maintain interest in them. While the novelisation does correct some of the flaws, it’s not at the same level as The Pirate Planet, or any of the more recent novelisations for that matter.

That being said, some of the more egregious bits of humour have been taken out, and it has a general polish, with some bits added that help sell the story more. There’s more details of the Aridians’ plight, as well as what future awaits Morton Dill, and why the Mechonoid city exploded. We also have more on how Steven got into the TARDIS. Overall, it feels more polished than the original TV show, and to be fair, it’s a somewhat fun romp.

While below average by my standards, The Chase was a decent enough adaptation that cleaned up a story badly needing it. A shame it didn’t try more…

FIRST WORDS:
The room had a background pulse, like an electronic heart slowly beating.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 42

The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage by Sydney Padua.

Sometimes, I do things on a whim. So when I stumbled across a graphic novel called The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage, I had to confess to being mildly intrigued, knowing, albeit vaguely, of the lives of the two, partly because of their importance in the history of the computer, and partly because they play a part in one of the story threads in the pseudo-encyclopaedia Doctor Who spinoff book Faction Paradox: The Book of the War. So I decided to give this story a shot…

During the 1800s, there was a time of great potential, when two brilliant minds interacted in a way that could have changed the course of history. Ada Byron, later Ada Lovelace, the tortured daughter of the infamous poet Lord Byron, raised to strictly follow the study of mathematics to stave off inherited madness. Charles Babbage, engineer and creator of the Difference Engine, a special calculating machine. In our universe, they collaborated briefly, but they never took things to the next level due to Ada’s untimely death and Babbage’s obstreperous ways. But what if their partnership had continued? In a pocket universe, Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage have created the Analytical Engine, a massive mechanical computer that they use to fight crime, solve economic problems, correct spelling mistakes, all for Queen and Country…

There isn’t much to criticise this story about, but there are a few things. I feel that there is probably too many annotations and notes of historical context, which does break the flow somewhat of enjoying the story. And there are times when the jokes are a little too intellectual.

And yet, it is clear that this is a labour of love. More than that, it is highly enjoyable, a mixture of steampunk, alternate history, and comedy that generally blends quite well. This is one of the best kinds of comedy, the sort that makes you laugh and think, or at least that helps you learn. It certainly shines a spotlight on many historical figures who need it, not least of which is Ada Lovelace herself. And it gleefully uses anachronisms while pointing them out.

Overall, I enjoyed The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage. It just goes to show how intelligent some humour can really be while masquerading as something silly…

****½

FIRST WORDS:
It was in a pub somewhere in London in the spring of 2009 that I undertook to draw a very short comic for the web, to illustrate the brief life of Ada Lovelace.

LAST WORDS: I feel quite at home.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 43

Assassin’s Creed- Into the Animus: Inside a Film Centuries in the Making by Ian Nathan.

My interest in the Assassin’s Creed franchise is a small one. The concept does intrigue me, but I am yet to play the games, let alone watch the recent movie. Still, I had enough interest to read the making-of book of said movie, though whether it would maintain such interest was another matter…

Assassin’s Creed- Into the Animus: Inside a Film Centuries in the Making is a look behind the scenes of the new Assassin’s Creed film. From scripting to screen, from costumes to sets and special effects, we see how the movie was made. Not only that, but we witness the synergy between Ubisoft and the filmmakers in trying to bring their vision of the franchise to the screen…

These types of books are frequently a triumph of style over substance, as I frequently say, and this one is no exception. It seems to be lacking in a few parts too, in terms of information, and even by making-of books standards, it is disappointingly short. Which is a shame, really, as I thought there’d be plenty to discuss.

That being said, what there is discussed does show that quite a significant amount of thought went into the making of the film, more than its eventual critical reception would suggest. And for all its lack of substance, the book is quite well presented, with inclusions of facsimiles of prop letters and cards, as well as designs and plans from the film that can be removed from the book. It certainly was an interesting book while it lasted.

Overall, while not great, the making-of book for the Assassin’s Creed movie was certainly pretty damn good, though it didn’t really surpass the norm for such books. A shame, really…

FIRST WORDS
: Making the Assassin’s Creed movie has been an adventure.

LAST WORDS: And just for a moment, it will feel like flying.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 44

Doctor Who: Gaze of the Medusa by Gordon Rennie, Emma Beeby et al.

Recently, Titan Comics began their own Doctor Who comic series. While focusing more on the new series, they have also done a few stories for the classic Doctors. This graphic novel, Gaze of the Medusa, is the first of those, featuring the Fourth Doctor. But how well would it do?

London in Victorian times. The Doctor and Sarah are on holiday, but are soon accosted by a pair of one-eyed aliens that resemble the cyclops of Greek mythology. While the Doctor ends up with Professor Odysseus James and his plucky daughter Athena, Sarah is brought before the malevolent Lady Carstairs, who seems to need time travellers for her own malevolent purposes. But why does Sarah have a statue in her likeness dating from Ancient Greece? What is the Lamp of Chronos? And what link does this have to the legend of the Gorgons?

I have to confess, the story was disappointing. Not just because it was a relatively simple one, albeit with a timey-wimey twist, but rather, because it seemed like a redo of Pyramids of Mars, a far-superior story, only with Ancient Greek elements. An ancient alien monster, using a time portal to affect events in Britain, with monstrous helpers, links to ancient mythology, and a scientist well ahead of his time…yeah, we’ve been there before.

That being said, the artwork is pretty damned good, and what original elements of the story are good as well. In addition, using a Gorgon-like creature in Doctor Who hasn’t really been done in the main TV series (though a fictional version of Medusa appeared in The Mind Robber, and an alien called the Gorgon would appear in The Sarah Jane Adventures), and the Doctor’s explanation of why the Medusa petrifies its victims is not only chillingly plausible in story terms, but also acts as a retrospective call forward to elements of the Weeping Angels, who are mentioned in passing. It also manages to capture enough of the spirit of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era that this story is set in. There was quite a bit of potential, just not actually utilised to the full, though there is a lovely little twist at the end.

Overall, Gaze of the Medusa is somewhat average. It could have been better, and it’s still good anyway, but sadly, it doesn’t manage to rise beyond being an emulation, at best, of a superior story.

***½

FIRST WORDS
: London, 1887.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 45

The King’s Grave: The Search for Richard III by Philippa Langley and Michael Jones.

Of all of Britain’s monarchs, perhaps the most controversial was Richard III. Made into one of pop culture’s most enduring villains by Shakespeare, his reputation has been both repaired and damaged by historians with vested interests. Recently, his remains were found, underneath a carpark of all places, and that set the scene for another chapter to his story…

The King’s Grave is two stories in one. Part of it is the story of how the dig to recover the remains of Richard came to be, and how it progressed. The other part examines Richard, his times, and how much of his character was darkened by Tudors with an agenda, coming together to tell a story of Richard’s life, death, and his rediscovery.

I have to confess, the story of the dig itself didn’t really grab me as much as it should have, despite the tension put into the prose. In fact, that section feels somewhat lacking. And while this was far from an in-depth treatise, I was also disappointed that there wasn’t more information on Richard and his life and times.

But the history section, nonetheless for all its brevity, is a delight to read. It examines the motives behind the writers who demeaned Richard during the Tudors, some of whom sang Richard’s praises during Richard’s reign. And for all the faults of the story about the dig, it’s still engaging enough to keep interest, even if it didn’t do as well as it should have.

Overall, The King’s Grave was not perfect, but it was a suitable primer in examining the life and times, as well as rediscovery, of Richard III.

FIRST WORDS:
On 22 August 1485, two armies faced each other at Bosworth Field in Leicestershire.

LAST WORDS: We also grant him the dignity of resting in peace, a dignity that 500 years of history have denied him.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 46

From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

Alan Moore is an undoubtedly gifted and talented comic book writer. But there are times when his preoccupation with the macabre can be overwhelming. So it was with some small trepidation that I began reading his epic fictionalisation of the Whitechapel Murders, dedicated quite solemnly and movingly to the women who were murdered. But would I regret this venture into a story Alan Moore himself admitted was based on a theory he didn’t believe?

A quartet of prostitutes have discovered that one of their shop girl friends has fathered a child with the Duke of Clarence, and said friend was institutionalised. In desperate need of money to pay off a group of thugs, they blackmail the Duke of Clarence’s friend, artist Walter Sickert, who, in desperation, turns to Queen Victoria, setting off a chain of events that nobody could have foreseen. Queen Victoria asks her physician, Dr William Gull, who drove the shop girl into insanity with his surgical skills, to silence them, with Gull’s fellow Masons in the police helping cover it up. But William Gull has his own purpose in mind: the misogynistic and increasingly deranged doctor begins a series of murders not merely to silence the would-be blackmailers, but as part of a mystic ritual to ensure patriarchal dominance. Meanwhile, Inspector Frederick Abberline struggles to find the culprit, and the women being targeted feel the grip of fear, while Gull spirals further into madness with each killing, seeing portents of a time yet to come. Jack the Ripper has come to town, and things will never be the same…

Alan Moore has something of a preoccupation with the morbid and the macabre, and sometimes gratuitously so. I found myself unable to read Neonomicon, for example, after flicking through it briefly. Certainly, there is a lot to put off the casual reader, even when you consider the subject material, that of a serial killer targeting those inhabiting the seedy underbelly of London. We see sex and death and human grime (to quote a song from one of Moore’s other works, V for Vendetta) of all kinds in quite explicit detail, and it’s very off-putting and disturbing.

And yet, to dismiss From Hell because of those points above would be to do it a great disservice. The sex and violence, while explicit and off-putting, is very much of a piece with the story, and to those who can stomach it unveil a rich and complex story that takes a holistic look at the conditions that gave rise to the Jack the Ripper murders. This is Victorian London, warts and all, from the lower classes all the way to royalty, with mystic undertones that are as compelling and disturbing as the sex and violence, and making as much a commentary, especially in later chapters, on the 20th Century as much as the 19th. There is also a commentary on the balance, or lack thereof, between masculinity and femininity. Eddie Campbell’s art style seems very appropriate, seeming almost Victorian. This book also comes with appendices that expand significantly on the way the story was written, as well as historical context and discussion about the murders, as well as a lengthy critique of Ripperologists and their theories, called Dance of the gull catchers. And to top it all off, the story is dedicated to the victims of Jack the Ripper, women whose lives are often forgotten in favour of their killer due to their profession.

Overall, to anyone who can stomach the explicit sex and violence, From Hell is an excellent work. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is Moore’s best work, better than Watchmen or V for Vendetta. But be warned: it is not for everyone.

FIRST WORDS:
Bournemouth, September 1923.

LAST WORDS: I think there’s going to be another war.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Sorry that the review is late. I had turned off my computer before realising I had to finish the book. I finished the book on time, though, so this run is still going. So, without further ado...

BOOK 47

In Search of Perfection: Reinventing Kitchen Classics, by Heston Blumenthal.

My personal favourite celebrity chef, above all others, is Heston Blumenthal. Reading his books is always a delight, considering they aren’t just recipe books, but explorations about the context of food. So how would I enjoy one of the TV tie-in books?

In Search of Perfection is a tie-in book to the TV series of the same name. In it, Heston explores the histories of eight different dishes as he tries to create what he believes to be the definitive version of each dish. From roast chicken and potatoes to treacle tart and ice cream, he’ll have a tough time of it as he tries to find the best ingredients and best techniques for each dish…

Compared to the more deluxe and in-depth works in The Fat Duck Cookbook and Historic Heston Blumenthal, this book is somewhat less substantial. True, the anecdote-to-recipe ratio heavily favours the anecdotes more this time around, but the book still feels less substantial, less weighty, and I don’t mean that because it is less literally heavy. The sense of wonder and adventure isn’t there as much as in the above books.

That being said, this is still an interesting book. It looks at the various dishes, going back to the historical originals, and there’s a number of interesting stories with Heston looking at the produce of various parts of the world, with my enjoying the anecdotes about roast chicken, pizza, and steak (he has a steak in the Penthouse Club, believe it or not!) the most. It’s also a well-presented book, though I think that it’s a shame that it lacks the bizarre illustrations of Dave McKean that helped with The Fat Duck Cookbook and Historic Heston Blumenthal.

Overall, this was quite a good book, but I wish it had been much better.

FIRST WORDS
: Perfection n. the state of being perfect; the process of making or becoming perfect.

LAST WORDS: Finally, the organisational skills of my very patient and longsuffering assistant, Roisin Wesley, were the only thing that allowed me to juggle a hectic film schedule and still find time to cook.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 48

Toriko volume 1: Gourmet Hunter Toriko, by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro.

From one book about food to another. This time, I venture into the shounen manga series Toriko, an action series about foodstuffs that make what Heston Blumenthal cooks up look tame by comparison. But would I enjoy it?

It is the age of the gourmet, where rare and exquisite flavours are pursued relentlessly, and where sometimes the best dishes are made from the most deadly beasts in the world. The International Gourmet Organisation’s Hotel Gourmet has decided they need a particularly dangerous beast for a feast, and send timid Head Chef Komatsu to recruit the famous Gourmet Hunter, Toriko. Toriko, while gluttonous, is also strong and an expert at catching dangerous animals for food. But is it possible that in fighting the strongest monsters, he may one day bite off more than he can chew? And can Komatsu survive associating with Toriko?

Okay, let’s face it, this story is ridiculous. Not only does it take elements of shounen manga to the extreme, to the point of parody (intentional or not), but it glorifies gluttony and, to a degree, hunting (even if Toriko has principles about it). It’s ridiculous and over the top and devoid of plot, though given that it’s the first volume, a plot may be too much to hope for.

That being said, Toriko is ridiculously entertaining, despite or because of its ridiculously over-the-top nature. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the author wrote it partially as a satire on both consumerism and the standard tropes of shounen manga, though that may not be the case. Toriko himself is a hoot, and his gluttony, while disturbing on one level, is hilarious on most others, and for all his musclebound nature, he’s also smarter than the average shounen manga protagonist (Goku, Naruto, Monkey D Luffy, I am looking at you!). And while the plot is non-existent so far, the writing is so entertaining, it makes up for it, with a very poignant, if OTT, sequence in the final chapter of the volume where Toriko experiences something like a theophany while eating a dessert.

Toriko may not be deep, and the themes may turn off some people, but it’s fun and funny as hell. Give it a go if you want something VERY different…

FIRST WORDS
: Someone once said...

LAST WORDS: I have a bad feeling about this...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 49

Dangerous Days in the Roman Empire, by Terry Deary.

I have to confess, I have a soft spot for Terry Deary’s highly entertaining and informative Horrible Histories books, despite them being geared towards kids. So when I discovered he had written a history book for adults, I thought to give it a go. How well would this one stack up in comparison to the Horrible Histories?

Dangerous Days in the Roman Empire is a look at the history of the most famous, or infamous empire of all time. Terry Deary, in his irreverent, snarky style, looks at how emperors rose and fell, often rather swiftly, as well as the good, the bad, and the mad sides of their reigns. He also takes a look at the rise of Christianity, and how forces from without and within took down the Roman Empire.

Let’s face it, this is far from a scholarly treatise. In fact, at times, Deary makes a couple of comments that are either badly failed attempts at humour, or else him expressing an opinion nobody would ask for or want. The informal style also lacks gravitas for a book meant for adults and sometimes grates, especially as some events are glossed over, and there’s no bibliography or suggestions for further reading. It feels at times like he is copying the style of the Horrible Histories, albeit with a few adult terms one would not have in there.

And yet, Deary’s style, far more often than not, is enjoyable and entertaining as well as informative. Many of his quips and jests makes the reader chuckle, and to be fair, he does give a fairly astute, informal analysis of the nature of power in Rome, as well as pointing out that no sane person would want to become emperor, given the violent ends to many of them, as well as their heirs. Like with the Horrible Histories, some rather lurid but enjoyable nonetheless details have been left in. In short, it was an enjoyable experience, despite my qualms.

While not perfect, this book was an enjoyable one, a good adult successor to the Horrible Histories. I look forward to the sequel…

FIRST WORDS
: The world has been full of dangerous people, living in dangerous times.

LAST WORDS: The Very End.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 50

Fate/Zero volume 4, by Shinjiro, based on the novels by Gen Urobochi and the Fate/Stay Night franchise by Type-Moon.

After the rather grotesque third volume, despite the good story, I was nearly put off the manga adaptation of Fate/Zero. But I persevered once I gained a copy of the fourth volume. But would it improve or degrade in quality?

Lord El-Melloi’s relationship with his Servant Diarmuid is deteriorating, not helped by the infatuation Lord El-Melloi’s fiancée has towards the Lancer Servant. But that is nothing compared to Kiritsugu’s deteriorating relationship with Saber, aka Arturia. Emiya launches a pre-emptive strike, destroying Lord El-Melloi’s hotel to try and kill him, only for his assistant Maiya to be ambushed by Kirei Kotomine. As the Kotomines and Tokiomi Tohsaka collude to set the other Masters on Caster and Ryuunosuke, Kiritsugu refuses to rise to the bait, even if it means putting lives at risk, something that puts him at odds with Arturia. But the deranged Caster seems intent on taking the fight to Arturia, and at a terrible cost…

The grotesque imagery in the previous volume is present, albeit to a much lesser and somewhat more tolerable degree. And a bit of the joke about Rider/Iskandar wearing only a shirt and obliviously waving his wang in his Master’s face (it makes sense in context) gets old pretty quickly, even for a joke that’s over after a certain point. So these points do mar the volume.

And yet, here, we have more story and character development than before. We have more conflict between Kiritsugu and Arturia, with the former getting some rather dark characterisation that is more vicious than the anime, and which does skirt, barely, the line that prevents him from being wholly unlikeable. We also have interaction between Lord El-Melloi, Lancer and Lord El-Melloi’s fiancée Sola-Ui, as well as Gilgamesh setting Kirei on a dark path.

Overall, while not perfect, this volume of Fate/Zero gets through the story quite well. And I look forward to the next volume.

****½

FIRST WORDS
: …The exact cause of the explosions which happened here in the warehouse district of Fuyuki City Bay remains unknown.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 51

Fate/Complete Material II: Character Material, by Type-Moon.

From one end of the Fate franchise to another. I decided to read a making-of book, a book of profiles and art sketches relating to Fate/Stay Night, the second in the series (with the first being purely a compilation of artwork from the original visual novel). But would it be a good book?

Fate/Complete Material is a making-of series relating to the Fate franchise in general, and the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel in particular. The second volume focuses on character profiles from Fate/Stay Night, with insights into their conception, as well as creator commentary on how certain characters, weapons, and scenes developed.

Now, books like this, as I’ve said before, are frequently a triumph of style and presentation over substance, and let’s face it, there’s not much substance here. The book’s dominated by artwork. Not as much as the previous volume, which I haven’t reviewed here simply because it was little more than a pure artbook with no commentary, but still, it’s lacking some substance that’s needed.

And yet, this is a very well-presented book, and given that the visual novel isn’t available legally in any form in English-speaking countries, it’s a good insight into it. The interviews and creator commentaries actually do give some insight and some interesting anecdotes about the creation of the characters, showing quite a bit of thought going into the process of conceiving these characters. And there’s a few humorous bits here and there from the anecdotes of Kinoku Nasu and Takashi Takeuchi, two of the key players in the making of Fate/Stay Night.

Overall, I have to say, despite the insubstantial nature of the book, I enjoyed it. For someone who is getting into the Nasuverse, it’s certainly an interesting reference for it…

FIRST WORDS
: Saber is the Heroic Spirit who was summoned by Shirou Emiya and belongs to the Saber class of Servants, which is considered the most outstanding class of them all.

LAST WORDS: I hope you can sense even just an inkling of that passion we felt from the pages of this book.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 52

Toriko volume 2: Coco!, by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro.

Once more, I head into the deranged, food-obsessed world of the Toriko manga. Given my enjoyment of the initial manga volume, I had high hopes for this one. But would they be fulfilled?

Toriko and Komatsu head to the dangerous Cavern Lagoon, where the Puffer Whales, a delicacy that can be ridiculously poisonous if not caught correctly, are about to spawn. Along the way, they pick up Coco, a former comrade of Toriko’s who specialises in fortune telling…and extruding poisons from his own body. But a number of other Gourmet Hunters, many of whom are extremely unscrupulous, are also making their way into the Cavern Lagoon, and Coco has foreseen the death of Komatsu in that place…

After the initial novelty of the series wore off, I have to confess, this volume was a bit of a letdown. Not badly, it’s just that it felt less exciting and novel than the first volume, and seems to be falling into the shounen manga trap of incident and action over plot. And the subplot about Komatsu’s foretold death just seems there to add unnecessary tension.

That being said, Coco is a fairly, if not novel, then certainly interesting character, a more serene, yet poisonous, intelligent and lugubrious man. The humour does manage to work somewhat, and there’s some inventive fight scenes, especially when Coco gets involved. Overall, it was enjoyable enough.

The second volume of Toriko was a good read, but a fairly average one. I just wish it was better…

***½

FIRST WORDS:
Toriko usually ventures forth to hunt food for one of two reasons.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 53

Dangerous Days on the Victorian Railways, by Terry Deary

Having enjoyed Terry Deary’s first entry into his more adult-oriented Dangerous Days books, I thought I’d try another. This one is a bit different, given that it focuses on the Victorian Era, and particularly on the railways, their construction, and the human cost. But would I enjoy it?

Dangerous Days on the Victorian Railways examines the rather dark and sordid history of the steam locomotive and the railway network of Britain. From the tragedy of Trevithick and the rise of the Stephensons, to the toll paid in human lives in both constructing and running the railways. And some interesting anecdotes are provided, including an incident involving Charles Dickens at a crash, and how sabotage was often inflicted on the railway by vested interests…

As with Dangerous Days in the Roman Empire, a fault of this book is that Deary frequently takes the opportunity to inflict his own view of things on the reader. At times, this seems more than a little inappropriate, and while I can understand his venom towards George Stephenson, Deary does himself a disservice at times with his attitude and his snark. While this is by no means a scholarly treatise, it still feels a bit too informal for a history book, coloured by Deary’s own views.

Even so, the book was still interesting, shining a light on the Industrial Revolution, and the blood that greased the wheels of progress. Deary’s quest to honour the fallen workers who helped build the locomotives and railways is a laudable one, and the information delivered is interesting. The book overall is entertaining and informative, despite my above complaints.

Overall, Dangerous Days on the Victorian Railways is an enjoyable, if rather grim and subjective work. Maybe one day I will read more of the series…

FIRST WORDS
: Sweeping changes.

LAST WORDS: ‘We learn from history that we do not learn from history’.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 54

Berserk volume 1, by Kentaro Miura.

I’ve heard of a number of rather darker manga series. One of these is the dark fantasy series Berserk. I thought I would give the series a go, but maybe I would regret doing so…

His name is Guts. His appellation is the Black Swordsman. And his disposition is amoral and merciless. A wandering warrior branded with a vile sigil, Guts is doomed to draw evil to him, but that’s just fine. Any evil that comes across him, he will slaughter, human or monster, no matter what the cost to those around him. Joining him recently is a small fairy called Puck, who is curious about the itinerant warrior…and his dark past…

Okay, let’s be blunt. Berserk is definitely not for kids. In fact, it’s not for the squeamish, something the blurb makes exceedingly obvious. It’s violent, dark, and depraved, with lots of horrific, explicit gore. The opening scene has Guts having sex with a woman, who turns into a demon, whom he promptly kills. It’s basically the grimdark version of A Song of Ice and Fire (if such a thing was possible) with more magic and demons, and the protagonist is pretty unlikeable, at least character-wise.

And yet, Guts is pretty awesome, in that he inspires awe given his skill and ability with a sword even Cloud Strife would have trouble with, and there are very small hints of the man he used to be, and should be, here and there. Puck is entertaining, I have to say, just the right side of annoying to be the comic relief. And for all the grotesque nature of the story, there is something mildly enthralling about it.

Overall, Berserk had a disappointing first outing, albeit with some redeeming features. It is, however, not something one should read lightly, especially if you’re squeamish…

FIRST WORDS:
Yes...

LAST WORDS: …A Behelit!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 55

Conan: The Ultimate Guide to the World’s Most Savage Barbarian, by Roy Thomas.

Love it or loathe it, you can’t deny the impact Robert E Howard’s low fantasy series Conan the Barbarian has had on pop culture. I personally do not have much actual interest in the series, but I decided, on a whim, to read a guidebook to the series, to kill time. But would that be a wise decision?

This guidebook purports to be an ultimate guide to the life and times of Conan the Barbarian, one of the most famous heroes of the Hyborian Age. From his origins in Cimmeria, to his ascension to kingship in Aquilonia, and all his exploits in between, we have highlights of his exploits and adventures. And in doing so, we have an insight into a more savage era…

Let’s face it: I’m not a fan of Conan. And this book doesn’t make me want to be more interested in the series either. Books like this are generally insubstantial, giving summaries while having a lot of pictures, like a kid’s book, though this one is meant exclusively for adults, given the lurid and violent images. And the information is not great.

That being said, to Conan fans, it would be interesting, and even to those with but a passing interest in the series, it would be enjoyable. Certainly, the conceit in this book that Conan was real, as was the Hyborian Age and their personages, is interesting, as is the nods to the continuity errors between stories being due to the mists of time. It even makes a nod to the debate of canonicity, and yet manages to include those stories of debatable canonicity by calling them legends. And the stories are mildly interesting as summarised.

Overall, while this book didn’t really instil any desire in me to read the Conan the Barbarian stories, it was nonetheless interesting enough for me to enjoy.

***½

FIRST WORDS:
I’m not exactly sure when it was, some time in the mid-1970s, when I was still in high school, and scouring the comic racks looking for new issues of my favourite superhero titles.

LAST WORDS: Because of you, Hyboria is alive and well, by Crom!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 56

One Piece East Blue: Volumes 1-2-3, by Eiichiro Oda.

Years ago, I made my first tentative steps into the world of One Piece, easily one of the most famous and popular shounen manga series of all time. But I found myself disappointed at the time, and never went back to the series. But I’ve decided to take a gamble and re-read the first volume, along with the second and third, as part of an omnibus. But would second time round be any better?

Years ago, the Pirate King Gold Roger announced that his treasure was there for the taking, if someone could find it, setting off a new era of piracy, where pirates and the Marines of the corrupt World Government face off. Into this world comes Monkey D Luffy, an energetic and enthusiastic boy who has dreams of becoming King of the Pirates, and he won’t let his inability to swim sink his dreams either. For his inability to swim came from eating a Devil Fruit, a mystical fruit that gave him the power to stretch his body like rubber. On his quest to become the King of the Pirates, Luffy recruits driven swordsman Zolo and pirate-hating thief and navigator Nami, and encounters the ruthless Marine Captain Morgan, the brutal pirates Alvida and Buggy the Clown, and stumble across a murderous plot involving a rich heiress…

One Piece is not exactly deep. Then again, most shounen manga aren’t. Okay, it’s fairly early days for any true story to develop, given how these series work, but still, these stories are filled with incident and not much plot, and more than a few of the characters are annoying, particularly the admittedly good-natured Usopp and, frankly, the main character himself. He’s as shallow as they come for shounen protagonists, and given that Oda once said he designed Luffy to be his ideal form of manliness, I have to wonder at that…

That being said, One Piece is nonetheless entertaining, and the plot towards the end of the third volume is actually interesting. What’s more, at least Zolo and, through subtle hints, Nami, are interesting characters. And one cannot deny that the action is consistently good, and, most of the time, so too is the comedy. It’s fun, but fast food-style manga, not really deep, but enjoyable.

Overall, the first few volumes of One Piece were enjoyable enough. I just hope it gets a little better in future…

***½

FIRST WORDS
: Gold Roger, the ‘King of All Pirates’, had achieved it all.

LAST WORDS: I see.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 57

The From Hell Companion by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

Having read From Hell and being impressed by that sordid but brilliant work, my attention naturally turned to the companion book. Written recently by artist Eddie Campbell as an accompaniment to the original graphic novel, it seemed like the next step to read. But would I like it?

The From Hell Companion is Eddie Campbell’s look at the creation of From Hell, with its dark themes and examination of the Jack the Ripper murders. Coupled with extracts from the original scripts by Alan Moore, items of interest from Campbell’s archives, and commentary from Alan Moore from interviews, it has an insight into the genesis of the comic series, and the impact it has today. We also have some small insight into the movie adaptation, as well as the censorship the original comic faced…

I have to confess, I was rather disappointed by this book. After the wonderfully dense storyline of From Hell, accompanied by a comprehensive appendix, this book seems woefully inadequate by comparison. While I can understand the paucity of an archive of comic scripts that may not have been kept, I still think many of the pages examined were amongst the more mundane and least-interesting ones, and I had hoped for something more comprehensive. Instead, what I got was unsatisfyingly eclectic.

That being said, what is there is, for the most part, interesting enough. There’s some interesting historical notes, a few anecdotes about problems in creating the comic, a few comparisons with the movie, and the scripts for pages that do interest me show some insight into the process involved in writing the story. I just wish there was more, as From Hell deserves more. As it is, the appendix of the comic proper feels better.

Overall, while not at all bad, The From Hell Companion was somewhat disappointing, especially in comparison with its parent work. It could have been so much better. Instead, it was somewhat average.

***½

FIRST WORDS
: I was unnerved and amazed by the amount of confirming “evidence” that turned up to support my “theory,” precisely because I knew it wasn’t a theory: it was fiction.

LAST WORDS: THE END.

User Menu

Newsletter