The Quatermass Perpetual Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 172

Tokyo Ghoul volume 8, by Sui Ishida.

So, after the pivotal volume in the series, I’ve now come back to Tokyo Ghoul. But has this manga series reached the only zenith it will ever reach? Let’s find out…

Thanks in part to Yamori’s torture, Ken Kaneki has embraced his inner Ghoul, and with it, a savage nature emerges. When he comes across Ayato assaulting Touka, he takes brutal action. Meanwhile, the CCG take their own action, only to find the mysterious One-Eyed Owl. Who is the One-Eyed Owl? Has Aogiri Tree been defeated, or has this all been according to their plans? And what startling revelation will Ken make to the Anteiku-affiliated Ghouls?

After the revelations and the intense emotional scenes of the previous volume, this one feels like a bit of a let-down. It’s mostly a series of action scenes that feel more like filler. Not to mention that Kaneki’s assessment of Ayato’s character, while logical, doesn’t actually feel remotely plausible.

That being said, it’s pretty enjoyable, despite its gruesome nature. There’s a good examination of Ayato and Touka’s past, and Ayato gets payback that is well overdue. And there seems to be some foreshadowing of future events.

Overall, while not as great as the previous volume, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was enjoyable. Here’s to the next one…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 173

20 Years of Tomb Raider: Digging Up the Past, Defining the Future, by Meagan Marie.

The Tomb Raider games were not ones I got much into. However, the series has been always a prominent one in the video game industry since the Nineties. So I was interested enough to get a book about the franchise…

20 Years of Tomb Raider chronicles the conception and development of the Tomb Raider franchise. From its humble beginnings at Core all the way to the recent reimagining, this book examines the history of the video game series. And it looks at the impact it had on pop culture, the films and cartoons and books it inspired, and the legion of fans who follow the franchise eagerly…

Usually, books like this are a triumph of style over substance. However, this book has the opposite problem, with perhaps too much crammed in. I think it lingers altogether too much on the fandom side of things, and not enough on the games and the media they spawned. I don’t want to know about specific fanfics or even tattoos.

That being said, the making-of stories of the games are actually surprisingly exhaustive for a book of this calibre. The presentation is top notch, and if it weren’t for the above quibbles, the balance of information and presentation would be near-perfect, if not perfect. And the insight into the various media spawned from the franchise is also enjoyable.

While not as good as I had hoped, this book has enough surprises to actually draw me in, despite my lack of familiarity with the games…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 174

Tokyo Ghoul volume 9, by Sui Ishida.

So, here I am with the ninth volume of Tokyo Ghoul. After the heavy twists and turns of the last couple of volumes, I was looking forward to more. Time would tell if I got what I wanted…

Six months have passed since Kaneki’s kidnapping at the hands of Aogiri Tree, and his subsequent departure from Anteiku. CCG investigator Kotarou Amon has a new partner: Akira Mado, the daughter of his mentor, and a cold-hearted young woman. Meanwhile, Ken Kaneki has made a change in his personality, for better or for worse, becoming more ruthless in dealing with the worst of Ghouls. But he now has another target in his sights: Dr Kano, the man who turned him into a One-Eyed Ghoul in the first place…

The quibbles I have with this volume are relatively minor. I personally don’t think that much of Akira Mado, as, while more likeable than her psychotic father, she still rubs me the wrong way, even if its early days. In addition, Touka’s been thrust to the background a bit too much, and I feel that Banjou is too damn annoying.

However, these are minor quibbles. After the slump of the previous volume, it feels like things are not just returning to form, but getting better, with a deepening of the mystery around Dr Kano, some interesting links to Rize to Ken’s current mission, and some nice character moments. It’s nice to see Ken remaining more or less himself, if somewhat more developed, and the moments involving Hinami are nice too.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was enjoyable, and very much so. I can’t wait until the next volume, with the raid on Kano’s labs…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 175

Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman.

Norse mythology is a part of current literature to an astonishing degree. Through pop-cultural osmosis, it has inspired elements of stories from Tolkien’s work to, of course, the Marvel comics. Recently, Neil Gaiman wrote a book on Norse mythology, and I decided to give it a read…

These are the tales of the Norse deities. From the creation of Midgard, to the apocalyptic end of Ragnarok, and everything inbetween, we witness tales of violence and cunning. See how Odin gained his powers, and how Loki stopped Freya from being claimed as a bride more than once, and how gods and mortals took on various challenges and won…and lost…

I have to admit, one of the more disappointing elements of this book is that there isn’t more of it. While Neil Gaiman does point out that a number of tales are referred to but are missing, it still feels like more myths could have been included, as I have read many of these elsewhere, in some form or another. And what there is isn’t very complex by modern standards, with very little plot or characterisation.

However, the tales themselves are interesting, even if many have a macabre element (though given both the source material and the one retelling them, it shouldn’t be surprising). Neil Gaiman has a way with prose that is compelling, and he paints a great picture with his words. He also writes them in a way that at least a loose story arc is given, of sorts.

Overall, while less substantial than I would have liked, this book is nonetheless a good look at Norse mythology.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 176

Tokyo Ghoul volume 10, by Sui Ishida.

So, here I am with the next volume of Tokyo Ghoul. But how would it fare? Let’s find out…

Both Ken Kaneki’s little gang of Ghouls and Aogiri Tree have their sights set on Dr Kano, the man who turned Ken into a Ghoul. Unfortunately, Ken’s attempt to interrogate his former nurse goes awry when the histrionic Naki and the brutal Shachi intervene, though they have better luck with Madam A. She leads them to Kano’s hideout, but Aogiri Tree aren’t far behind, and neither is the CCG. Ken will soon learn the truth behind his new existence, but also some disturbing revelations…

I have to admit, a couple of the new characters don’t do it for me. Naki is occasionally funny, but the rest of his character falls flat. And Shachi seems more like a stereotypical martial arts meathead. Plus, I feel there’s not quite enough plot and revelations.

Still, some of Naki’s malapropisms are funny, and there’s some further insight into the mysterious Eto, who not only verbally tears Kurona and Nashiro to shreds, but also has a macabrely hilarious moment with Banjo involving his ribs. The action scenes are spectacular, and we have some disturbing revelations involving Kano, Rize, and Yoshimura. And it’s a crying shame it ends on a major cliffhanger, because there’s more I want to see.

Ten volumes in, and I find myself engrossed by Tokyo Ghoul, hungering for more…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 177

Bohemian Rhapsody: The Inside Story, by Roland Hall et al.

Queen is one of my personal favourite bands, so I decided, in light of the recent release of the biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, to read some books relating to them. I decided to give the official book of the film a whirl. But would it be any good?

Bohemian Rhapsody: The Inside Story is a book detailing the making of the Queen biopic, focusing particularly on Freddie Mercury. Detailing how the film cast the actors and recreated iconic moments, it looks at the trials and travails of making such an ambitious film. And it is all gorgeously presented with photos both of the film and from Queen’s own archives.

And yet, that’s part of the problem. Books like this are frequently a triumph of style over substance, but there is precious little substance in this book in the first place. The vast majority of it seems to be made up of photos, with only the barest amount of behind the scenes text. For a book that claims to be the ‘inside story’, there seems to be precious little story.

That being said, what little there is is enjoyable and well-presented. I like the insights the cast and crew gave into the making of the movie. I just wish there was a lot more.

Bohemian Rhapsody: The Inside Story was disappointingly shallow, opting for presentation over any really substantial content. A real shame…

**½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 178

Tokyo Ghoul volume 11, by Sui Ishida.

Well, I have no pithy remarks to start this review off with. So, let’s get on with the latest volume of Tokyo Ghoul. It goes without saying that it’ll be good, but the question is, how good…

The battles within Dr Kano’s laboratory are getting worse. Ken forms his kakuja in order to fight Shinohara, but at a tremendous cost to his sanity, while Juuzou fights against the One-Eyed Ghouls who were once his classmates in an equally vicious battle. Retreating to lick their wounds, both sides have answers, but even more questions. While a recovering Ken accompanies Hinami to the book signing of Sen Takatsuki, who seems to know more than she’s letting on, the CCG begin considering many facts, including the possibility that there are two One-Eyed Owls…

Some elements of this volume feel a little flat. It feels like the fights have gone on for a bit longer than they had to, especially with the revelations of the past volume. In fact, it feels like they are dragging out the story before some big reveals come around too much.

That being said, the character moments are nice, especially the point where Akira Mado becomes more sympathetic, and we see Amon’s humanisation. Kaneki’s struggles with his own madness are great, and we have the debut of the eccentric but knowing author Sen Takatsuki. And we’ve got further insights into Juuzou’s past, along with that of Uta’s.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was really good. I really do hunger for the next one…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 179

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volume 1, by Fuse.

The isekai or ‘other world’ genre, while not unique to Japanese media, seems to have been embraced by them in a big way. Having read such works like Overlord, The Saga of Tanya the Evil, and No Game, No Life, and watched such entries like GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There, it was natural that I try other entries to the genre. Reincarnation into this new world seems like a common theme, but few series have been so bold as to make it part of the title. But would That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime be any good?

Satoru Mikami was a 37 year old office worker, before a mugger killed him. As he dies, he finds himself hearing a strange voice in his head. And soon, he wakes up in another world…as a slime. But not just any slime, but one with abilities that make him overpowered. Befriending and, effectively, freeing a dreaded dragon called Veldora is but the beginning of a strange journey in a new fantasy world for Satoru, now calling himself Rimuru Tempest…

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. The story is…not that great. There’s sod-all plot, just going from one incident to another, and the story isn’t quite that original, at least in terms of concept. It’s just going from one incident to another, doing some worldbuilding for presumably later volumes.

That being said, what there is of the story is quite charming and interesting. There’s a lot of humour involved, and the concept of the main character being a monster that is normally quite weak but actually overpowered is interesting. Plus, having an ordinary person thrown into a fantasy world is always an enjoyable concept, and it’s done fairly well here.

Overall, while suffering from a marked lack of plot, this book makes up for it with a lot of charm, character and humour. I certainly enjoyed it…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 180

Tokyo Ghoul volume 12, by Sui Ishida.

Here I am at the 12th volume of Tokyo Ghoul. I knew this one was a pivotal one, even if it’s not quite the ending. But how well would it do?

Seeking answers, Ken Kaneki first speaks with Uta, and then Yomo, the latter of whom has a starved Rize hidden away. Having learned from them some disturbing elements, Ken goes to confront Yoshimura, having guessed at the truth, a truth Yoshimura confirms: that the leader of Aogiri Tree is in fact his own half-Ghoul daughter, Eto. Meanwhile, author Sen Takatsuki gives both Hinami and Koutaro Amon some intriguing information, and Touka struggles to come to terms with her mixed feelings for Ken…

I could say some bad things about this volume. But to be honest, I have nothing to say. True, the story goes to some dark places, but this is Tokyo Ghoul.

In truth, everything in this volume is on-point. Touka’s outburst against Ken, which could have been seen as abusive, actually feels right in context. And the revelations about Yoshimura’s past are welcome, as are the glimpses of Arima in action. Plus, the volume ends on one hell of a cliffhanger.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul hits another high. I can’t wait to read the concluding volumes…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 181

Sword Art Online volume 1: Aincrad, by Reki Kawahara.

Of all the various isekai series written, perhaps the most famous is Sword Art Online. Although the concept of characters being trapped within a computer game was already an old one by the time this novel was released, but this series did capture the imagination. Time would tell if it captured mine…

In the near-future, online games can be played via a virtual reality headset interacting directly to the brain. One of the first of these games, Sword Art Online, has already gained a huge following due to the excitement of the beta test. But on the first day of the game, one of the developers, Akihibo Kayaba, makes a disturbing announcement: the players, thousands of them, are trapped within Sword Art Online, and their deaths in-game, or any attempt to forcefully remove them, will kill them. Their only chance to survive is to beat the final boss on the 100th Floor of the Aincrad castle. Two years later, former beta tester and lone wolf player Kirito is working on finding a way out, but getting involved with the famous Asuna of the Knights of the Blood may get him either closer to his goal, and that of every other player, or have him meet a premature end…

This book, admittedly, isn’t very substantial. To be honest, few light novels are. However, I feel that the story was somewhat rushed, as is the love story, such as you could call it, between Kirito and Asuna. Things do feel like they were mentioned a bit too off-handedly, and Kayaba’s motives aren’t really explored.

That being said, the story itself is still an enjoyable one. It doesn’t overstay its welcome, and the characters are fairly enjoyable, despite being a little clichéd. It has potential, and I find myself intrigued.

Overall, while hampered by a number of flaws big and small, the first Sword Art Online book was enjoyable. I just hope it’d improve…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 182

Tokyo Ghoul volume 13, by Sui Ishida.

So, it’s time for the penultimate volume of the original run of Tokyo Ghoul. But how would I enjoy it? Let’s find out…

The CCG are planning on raiding Anteiku, and taking out Yoshimura, the One-Eyed Ghoul. As the various CCG investigators come to terms with a mission they may very well die on, Yoshimura is visited by his former colleagues at V, who offer him safety in exchange for giving up his daughter’s whereabouts. His refusal lights the fuse to a conflagration that will embroil the 20th Ward in a war between Anteiku and the CCG. But Ken Kaneki has no intention of staying on the sidelines while his friends get massacred. He will get involved, even if it means his life…

After a certain point in this volume, there isn’t much in the way of plot. Just a series of battles, one after the other. While not necessarily a bad thing per se, it just feels like, given that we’re coming to the end of this run, that we have few answers to so many questions, even with the sequel series out. Plus, we get hints of previous character interactions that are frustratingly not elucidated.

That being said, the scenes of the CCG characters reminiscing or making their preparations for the final battle are good. Juuzou’s past, while painful to read, goes a long way to explain why he is the way he is, and we have some insight into Seidou. We also have some wonderful battle sequences, and the culmination of Ken and Tsukiyama’s twisted partnership.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul is an enjoyable one, setting up the beginning of the end…or perhaps the end of the beginning…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 183

The Making of Middle-Earth: A New Look Inside the World of JRR Tolkien, by Christopher Snyder.

I feel a little ambivalent about JRR Tolkien and his works. On the one hand, the prose is rather dry and old-fashioned, and so too is the style of story. On the other, there is no denying not only the place his works have in pop-culture, but also the fact that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are still good stories all the same. So reading a biography of Tolkien and an analysis of his works seemed like a good idea…

The Making of Middle-Earth is a look at the life and times of JRR Tolkien, as well as where his works came from. From his childhood to his experiences in the First World War, and to his academic work, this book traces the point where he began his mythopoeia of Middle-Earth, and the works that followed. We see what stories influenced The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion, as well as the impact Tolkien had on pop-culture.

I’ll be honest, I’ve heard a lot about where Tolkien got his inspiration from before, as well as his life in broad strokes. The book, while not onerously pedantic, is not quite as comprehensive as it could have been without being pedantic. I also feel that the films and other adaptations, in being relegated to the appendices, felt like an afterthought, and a little too much is given to address Tolkien’s critics.

That being said, this book is well-presented and well-written. The information on display is interesting, and there was stuff I didn’t know or consider. Plus, the biographical parts of the book were genuinely interesting for the most part, along with the sources of the inspirations.

Overall, while not perfect, this book was enjoyable enough for what it is.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 184

Tokyo Ghoul volume 14, by Sui Ishida.

At last, the final volume of Tokyo Ghoul, where everything ends before the sequel series. But has the moment been prepared for? Let’s find out…

The clash between the CCG forces and the last remnants of Anteiku’s Ghouls is drawing to a close. But Ken’s clash with Amon will soon lead the young hybrid into the depths of madness, a disturbing encounter with his old friend Hide which may not be real…and an encounter with Kishou Arima, the infamous CCG Reaper. Meanwhile, Yoshimura has fallen…only for the true One-Eyed Owl, his daughter Eto, to turn up in a monstrous form. The final clash has arrived…and not everyone will survive this…maybe even Ken Kaneki…

Much of this volume, as with the previous volume, are running battles. This is somewhat detrimental to the plot. Not only that, but the series ends on such a massive cliffhanger, if the sequel series Tokyo Ghoul: re did not exist, I would not have been happy, with too many questions left unanswered.

However, the conclusion, such as it is, is well-done and emotional. Ken’s final descent into madness and his final clash with Arima are excellent, as are the insights into Juuzou’s past and his maturation. We also have intriguing revelations and insights that show things in an entirely new light, such as who was responsible for Ken’s plight, as well as the face of Eto.

Overall, this final volume of Tokyo Ghoul, while not perfect, was a good conclusion, and set things up well for the sequel series…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 185

King Arthur: Dark Age Warrior and Mythic Hero, by John Matthews.

While Arthurian myth has a prominent place in pop culture, I never found myself that truly interested in it. True, my interest has been piqued by such works as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Doctor Who story Battlefield, and Fate/Stay Night and its associated works, but my interest has been somewhat minimal. Would this introductory work to the Arthurian Mythos work in piquing that interest more?

King Arthur: Dark Age Warrior and Mythic Hero is a work that looks at the history and myth around the legendary King Arthur. From the sparse historical documents claimed to be the truth about the king, all the way to the tales written by the likes of Mallory, this book analyses them all. And we also see how Arthur impacted pop culture to this very day…

This book is no scholarly treatise, and while this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I do feel that it does skim over many parts. The impact Arthur had on pop culture takes up only the last few pages (with no mention of Monty Python whatsoever), the writing style doesn’t quite grab me as much as it should, and I feel a little more could have been devoted to the historiography of Arthur, as well as his myths. Instead, we get a book that’s more than a little ‘meh’, and could easily have been expanded by another 50%.

This isn’t to say that the book is bad, just disappointing. The analysis that is there is quite good, and even if the prose doesn’t quite grab me, it was informative. It certainly killed time.

Overall, while disappointing, and feeling like the adult equivalent of a kid’s non-fiction book, this book was fine enough.

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 186

Tokyo Ghoul: re volume 1, by Sui Ishida.

After the astonishing and devastating finale of the first run of the Tokyo Ghoul manga, I was impatient to start the sequel series, Tokyo Ghoul: re. But was I running into the sequel series with haste? Or would it be good?

Two years have passed since Anteiku and many of the Ghouls there were wiped out. Now, the CCG has a new weapon on the frontlines of the fight against the Ghouls: the Quinx Squad, viewed with contempt and mistrust for the fact that they are comprised of people with implanted Ghoul kagunes. Leading this disparate group of misfits is the diffident Haise Sasaki, a young man missing his memories, and struggling to be a leader. But even as he and his group investigate Ghouls like the Torso and Orochi, he is haunted by forgotten memories. For Haise is an amnesic Ken Kaneki, and his past is about to come back to haunt him…

The tonal shift might be jarring to many fans of the original manga series, as the emphasis is put almost entirely onto the CCG and its investigations. In addition, a few of the new characters, it’s hard to get invested in. A particularly egregious case is one of the Quinxes, Kuki Urie, who is, despite his backstory, utterly unlikeable. Plus, Ishida has ramped up the grotesqueness of the various Ghouls, with Torso and the Nutcracker being, well, not for the faint of heart.

That being said, I found the first volume most enjoyable, despite the above qualms. Haise is endearing, and feels more like a balanced version of the Ken we all know and love, while Tooru Mutsuki is a character I swiftly sympathise with. And the tonal shift actually feels apt, as does the beginning of the new story, and there’s actually something about this series where even newcomers might be able to get into it with relative ease. Plus, the end of the volume has one hell of a cliffhanger.

Overall, the first volume of Tokyo Ghoul: re was a very enjoyable one. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 187

Alita: Battle Angel, by Pat Cadigan, based on the screenplay by James Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis, and the manga by Yukito Kishiro.

Having just recently watched Alita: Battle Angel, the film based on the manga series Battle Angel Alita (or Gunnm in Japanese), I thought I’d give the novelisation a go. I hoped it would expand on the film’s story. But would that be the case?

Far into the future, after a great war, Iron City is the last city remaining on the surface of the Earth, squatting beneath the sky city Zalem. Cybersurgeon Dyson Ido comes across the broken body of a cyborg girl while scavenging for parts. Taking her in, he repairs and revives her, naming her Alita after his deceased daughter. But Alita hides a secret, one that will ensure that the powers that be in Iron City come after her. She may have lost her memories, but she has not lost skills that make her one of the most lethal beings in Iron City…

I have to confess, there isn’t much this novelisation adds to the movie’s story. And the story, while in retrospect much better than the original manga storyline (something I’ve realised upon getting the manga recently), is still a bit on the weak and clichéd side. I also think it goes into a hair too much detail at times, especially with the Motorball sequence at the end.

That being said, Pat Cadigan’s prose is quite good. Not only that, but there’s quite a few expansions on the story of the movie, even if they’re minor ones (like explicitly giving Grewishka the backstory of Makaku from the manga). And this is, in the end, a very enjoyable romp.

Overall, this novelisation was an enjoyable novelisation of an enjoyable film. A shame it wasn’t something more…

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I was tempted to go and see the film of this, but ultimately decided to do some research and order it on DVD if it looked interesting. At this stage I'm still not sure. The clips that I've seen seemed interesting though.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I was tempted to go and see the film of this, but ultimately decided to do some research and order it on DVD if it looked interesting. At this stage I'm still not sure. The clips that I've seen seemed interesting though.
I left a review of it in my media review thread. The story was a bit weak (though frankly, the manga's story, at least at that stage, is even weaker), but it's still an enjoyable romp.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 188

Tokyo Ghoul: re volume 2, by Sui Ishida.

So, here I am, coming back to Tokyo Ghoul: re. After the impressive first volume, I hoped the quality would remain high for the second. But would my hopes be fulfilled?

In order to infiltrate a Ghoul Auction, Haise and his Quinx Squad have to plan things out with Juuzou Suzuya. But trying to entice the Ghoul known as the Nutcracker into bringing them to the auction is no easy feat, especially with Haise struggling to keep his team together. And with Aogiri Tree having an interest, the operation could very well turn into a mess…

After the brilliance of the first volume, this volume was a bit of a letdown. Not by much, as the quality didn’t go down by much, but what felt fresh at first has stagnated a little. New characters are introduced and many of them I can’t really invest any interest in them. And I find it disappointing that more wasn’t made of the return of Touka and Yomo.

That being said, there were still some enjoyable moments. The auction sequence is pretty good, with Juuzou making a spectacular entrance. Plus, the characters of Kanae and Saiko, making full appearances for the first time, are enjoyable and hilarious (well, Saiko is hilarious, anyway). Plus, the Clowns making a reappearance after the revelation at the end of the first Tokyo Ghoul series was welcome.

Overall, while not as good as the first volume, the second volume of Tokyo Ghoul: re still manages to keep up to snuff.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 189

Super Mario Bros Encyclopedia: The Official Guide to the First 30 Years, by Kazuya Sakai et al.

A number of game-related encyclopaedias have been released by Dark Horse over the years, mostly related to the Legend of Zelda franchise or Final Fantasy. However, one has been released for the Super Mario Bros series. Would it reach the high standards of its predecessors?

The Super Mario Bros Encyclopedia is an official guide to the long history of the Super Mario Bros game series. From his humble beginnings in Donkey Kong all the way up to Super Mario Maker, this book examines the games, their characters, and aspects. In addition, there are looks at the various easter eggs and hidden treasures of the games in the series…

I’ll be honest, I was more than a little disappointed by this book. I expected a lot more substance than I got from this, more behind the scenes material and the like. Instead, I got repetitive looks at the games, repetitive looks at the enemies, and while comprehensive in some aspects, it got tedious very quickly, reading the same things over and over with little variation. It feels like something written for attention-deficit children.

That being said, the book is very well-presented, being very glossy and colourful. In addition, there are many points of interesting information. I just wish there was more to it.

The Super Mario Encyclopedia is well-presented, but is something of a disappointment. I just wish it was much better…

User Menu

Newsletter