The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

My copy arrived while we were on vacation, along with Dragons and Blink. I still haven't been able to bring myself to pick any of them up.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

Finally got my copy yesterday. Waterstones really screwed up on that one. Nearly three weeks for an express delivery is taking the mick. I have requested the extra money the delivery cost me to be returned but won't hold out much hope.
I'll start this over the weekend then and try keep my emotions in check

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Re: The Shepherd's Crown **Spoilers Allowed**

You missed out the Dad's Army reference by Corporal Jack Jones, it was only slightly amusing though, the Feegles made me chuckle :laugh:
We cant all like the same stuff Raisin, and I doubt very much it was published without his consent as far as I'm aware he would have liked to have polished it up a bit more but time was against him.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

I really, really doubt ghostwriters had a hand in the book at all. Terry had both Rob and Rhianna's help in writing the books, so I don't think anyone besides the three would have needed to touch it.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

MrsWizzard said:
I really, really doubt ghostwriters had a hand in the book at all. Terry had both Rob and Rhianna's help in writing the books, so I don't think anyone besides the three would have needed to touch it.
Sorry, I didn't mean "ghostwriters" in the sense of unknown parties, but Rob or Rhianna.

Given the literary style of Snuff, Raising Steam, The Shepherd's Crown and Dodger are so completely different than anything Pterry had written before, I'm beginning to believe that Rhianna or Rob ended up doing a great deal of the actual writing of these books, which would explain why they don't live up to the incredible standard of Pterry's previous books. There are just too many examples of phrasing that are so completely different than how he wrote previous books that it's hard to believe they were written by his hand. If this is true it would be understandable, given his condition.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com

I wouldn't be so sure about the ghost writer issue as Jacqueline Simpson did say, when I recently met her, that the ending wasn't the one Terry wanted and did hint that the publishers may have altered/rewritten quite a few things after his passing, particularly the battle* (not Tiffany returning to the Chalk though, that was as he wished).

* I haven't read that far yet so I'm not really in a position to cast judgement. Just going by what Jacqueline said.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

As Neil Gaiman said in his Times inteview there are plot holes in the book which will be obvious and some loose ends, just a pity it did not have the usual polish and ending Terry wanted but at least it was a book that gave an end to the Tiffany Aching series.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure Miss Tick was meant to die in the book... I saw a spoiler in the 2016 diary and that spoiler was "something something by miss tick (may she rest in peace)" or something like that so... I think that was changed in the book too. i might be mistaken mind, but im sure i read that somewhere in the diary... Im sure of it.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

Only half way through now but have to comment on how beautifully well done Granny Weatherwaxes death was written. Amazing.
The dignity he gave her in her passing is so well done that you don't get annoyed at a major character passing on.
Also thankful I avoided the newspaper reviews with spoilers now.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

They have annoyed me a bit. Hodges and Figgis , who are owned by Waterstones took preorders for the slipcase as well but didn't honour them which is causing a lot of hassle. I'm glad i at least got my copy .

pip said:
Only half way through now but have to comment on how beautifully well done Granny Weatherwaxes death was written. Amazing.
The dignity he gave her in her passing is so well done that you don't get annoyed at a major character passing on.
Also thankful I avoided the newspaper reviews with spoilers now.
I don't know what I'm doing wandering around here but I just want to say I agree - I'm just past the 100 page mark even though I bought it the day after release (time is is short, read the first 80 fairly fast but since then its been a couple of pages a day...).

Really enjoying it.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

simmonds91 said:
I'm pretty sure Miss Tick was meant to die in the book... I saw a spoiler in the 2016 diary and that spoiler was "something something by miss tick (may she rest in peace)" or something like that so... I think that was changed in the book too. i might be mistaken mind, but im sure i read that somewhere in the diary... Im sure of it.
No idea where you saw that, I've read the diary and not seen anything like that, after all she is supposed to be a main contributor to the diary

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

Just wanted to point this out, but did anyone else notice that this is the first time a character actively calls it "Discworld?" I know characters have referred to it as "the Disc" in the past, but I don't think anyone's called it "Discworld" in-story before.

I would have liked to see where PTerry was going with Miss Tick, because Tiffany alluded to her having disappeared at the time of the witches' gathering, but then she shows up again on the Chalk, helping the Feegles with their "PLN."

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

MrsWizzard said:
Just wanted to point this out, but did anyone else notice that this is the first time a character actively calls it "Discworld?" I know characters have referred to it as "the Disc" in the past, but I don't think anyone's called it "Discworld" in-story before.
I didn't notice that. You have the UK version, right?. If so, it's just more evidence of the editorial train wreck the book is.

Jan 23, 2014

Ok.... we know you don't like it. But there's no need to keep on. Some of us have a special place in our hearts for the book cos it's the last one.

And no, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about it. I just want you to tread more lightly.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

mirandashell said:
Ok.... we know you don't like it. But there's no need to keep on. Some of us have a special place in our hearts for the book cos it's the last one.

And no, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about it. I just want you to tread more lightly.
I personally am not looking for an argument with you, and, furthermore, I'm not overly concerned with what you want. We're all devoted fans of Pterry here. Nothing we say here will do anything to mar his literary legacy. And no slips at the end will mar nearly his nearly four decades of outstanding work...any more than lesser stuff like "Henry VIII" and "The Two Noble Kinsmen" marred Shakespeare's reputation.

As a writer and an artist, Pterry knew full well that everything he published was fair game for critics. I'm sure that during his long career there were those who panned even his greatest works. In Pterry's situation, the few negative reviews were like gnats on an elephant--at best, a tiny annoyance that could be easily ignored and certainly had no effect on his literary development, book sales, or the millions of people who loved him.

As far as I know, this forum is not a "fanboy site" where criticism is forbidden or where people are expected to "hold their tongues." If you don't agree with my views, fine. I think everyone hear holds a special place in their heart for The Shepherd's Crown. I do, too, in the sense of it being the last new Pterry book we'll ever get to read. But that "special place" doesn't mean it shouldn't be objectively evaluated as a literary work as well. Now, I don't necessarily agree with those who love this book but I respect their right to have their opinion, And certainly I would never in a million years AK them to "tread heavily."

If our benevolent moderators wish to apply rules that limit criticism of The Shepherd's Crown or any other book, that is certainly their right to do so. I hope they do not. That every single DW book (and some other ones) have their own separate topic on the site--each of them filled with both unexpurgated praise and pans--suggests that such debate is welcome here. And that is a good thing. What a boring place this would be if everyone felt exactly the same way.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

No, no, no. We don't make rules like that here. We never have and, as long as I have anything to do with it, we never will. :)

I do understand that it's hard to hear criticism of a book that we've enjoyed and even loved - but Terry's work appeals to such a wide variety of people that there are bound to be different thoughts and feelings about the books. Raisin makes his point about the quality of the last few books. He's entitled to his opinion (even if he is wrong :p )

For me the least enjoyable book was Making Money. But I gave it a chance and read it at least three times. Unlike a lot of Terry's books that I didn't much care for at first, but then came to love, MM just didn't do it for me. But I know that a lot of people loved it. That's what these discussions are all about. We discuss the books and try to see what other members have seen in them Now I have really enjoyed the books after MM. I was dreading another Moist book, but was more than happy with Raising Steam.

We all love Terry's writing, or we wouldn't be here. But there's nothing wrong with being negatively critical about the books. If you disagree with someone's comments then tell them why you think they are wrong - or ignore their posts if they really bother you. But these are discussion threads and a discussion where everyone agrees with each other, is a boring discussion.

Now play nicely or I'll get my green pen out. ;)

Jan 23, 2014

I'm not trying to say that Raisin shouldn't have an opinion. But to mention it all the time, to keep on about how bad they think it is, at a time when a lot of us are still feeling the loss of PTerry, is a tad insensitive, no?

Yes, we can all have an opinion but there's no need to put big boots on it.

And now I'll leave it there.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

I finished the book last night.
Some really good sections, particularly the death scene.
I did enjoy it but I find myself agreeing with Raisindot to some degree.
There's definitely an edge missing form the book and some scenes needed a bit more polish while other parts seemed a bit stunted or under developed. Terry definitely had more work to do on the book before it came out and the editing hand that followed his death wasn't perfect.Parts of it were a bit cheesy with a few too many casual nods to older books and other characters seeming laboured.
I don't think the book is a complete train wreck but its certainly not up there with the earlier greats. The final battles really didn't work for me.
But for all that I enjoyed reading it.
Not perfect but not terrible either.

User Menu

Newsletter