The Slap - a question for our Aussie members

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
Somebody on the BBC boards has asked a question as to whether a child in the Aussie TV series The Slap is the son of the actress playing his mother. The reason for the question is....

But what I'd really like to know is how they can allow/instruct a child actor to get so close to a bare breast that it really does look as if he's being breast-fed? Is it not embarrassing for the actress and for the child? And would the child actor's parent or guardian (who presumably must be on set) not object to it?

It certainly makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Unless the child is the actress's son in real life?
Any Aussies out there got a clue, as I don't watch The Slap.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Gee Bouncy.... going through a court case because my ex gives "a slap" to MY kids once in a while.... do you think I ever started watching this??? :rolleyes:

Perhaps it is like Little Britian and "Bitty" I do know in that they used a false breast with fake milk lines built into it to get past the censors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfI48IWESo

Who knows.... I haven't seen it. If the actress playing the mother has no milk in real life then there is no problem that she would pass on milk or other contaminates in real life. Maybe they did a switcherooney and used the mothers real breast for close ups?

Edit: It appears that most people were talking about the breastfeeding not because its breastfeeding but that its breast feeding a FOUR year old... which I don't see a problem with actually. The debate here has been that most people are more upset about extended breastfeeding more than a child being hit, which is strange as I never had a problem breastfeeding here... it seems to be widely accepted. Think its the age thing.

OR OR OR maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeee they used a clear bandaid like the time I went braless and the damn shirt was rubbing and annoying me so I put a bandaid over "it" and when I tried to feed my very hungry baby I had NOOOOOO idea why she wouldn't feed til Mum pointed out I had a bandaid over my boobie :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: DUH!

Apr 29, 2009
London
Oh dear, Del. Only you could have 2 nipple stories in one lifetime! (You weren't trying to breastfeed a Koala by anychance, and it tried to remove the bandaid?).

Didn't realise you had slap problems with your Ex. Barsteward.

Apr 29, 2009
London
I don't know, Dotz, but to be honest as much as I don't mind helping people with questions, it really is summat that the person in question should be Googling for themself.

[/rant ends]

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Hey, you think breast-feeding a four year old is disturbing? Try a six year old, which happens in A Game of Thrones. The book, anyway. Not sure about the TV series. Said six year old is, like his mother, a couple of beer cans short of a six pack and likes to see people thrown off a precipice. And this family is meant to be an ally of the good guys. :rolleyes:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Jan Van Quirm said:
Rest assured no stone was left unturned in the TV series - they showed the little lordlet having his bitty very clearly indeed :laugh:
Ew. :eek:

Though I heard that there was a sequence showing a teenager doing it in The Last Emperor.

There's also apparently a YouTube clip out there, according to the commentary for Futurama: Bender's Game, of an older child having a tipple from the nipple, and they remarked that a good rule of thumb is, if they're old enough to ask for it, then they're too old to have it. I agree, and have never gone to look for said clip. I've seen enough of that sort of sh** moderating another BBS to last me a lifetime, I don't need to see anything further.

User Menu

Newsletter