SPOILERS The Truth Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Do you all think that Willem was struck by, and than became the devotee of a Small God - namely the "Press"? The book suggests something more than just printing papers about the Disk.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Er, Disc, not Disk. (Unless the Turtle, the Elephants, and all the rest can fit on one of these...) :)

(Yes, I can hear all the people under 15 on this forum scratching their heads and yelling: "Muuuuuuuuuuum! That old fart Rath Darkblade is confusing me agaaaaaaaaain!!!") =P

Nov 9, 2021
Glad you liked it, Otto. If you have a chance, listen to Stephen Briggs' outstanding audiobook version. He gets nearly every single voice absolutely perfect, especially Pin, Tulip(his invocation of Mr. Tulip's "___ings" are amazing), Gaspode, the printing press dwarfs, Vimes, Vetinari, Death and Slant. And, as an Otto fan, I'll bet you'll never be able to imagine him speaking any other way once you listen to Brigg's portrayal.
Ooooh that's very interesting! Will keep an ear out ^.^

Nov 9, 2021
I second raisindot's recommendation! :) I borrowed the audiobook from the library. Stephen Briggs is my favourite. (Sorry, Nigel) =(

Oh? *raises eyebrow* Then you might enjoy my satirical take on the newspapers of today - what would newspapers be like, if the headlines had to be alliterative? ;)

I also wrote a (fairly long) take on what history would've been like, if it was written by the tabloids. =P I also included newspaper ads and such! It was lots and lots of fun to write :)
Oh heck, guess I know what I'm doing with my day :p

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Oh, hey, Rath. I've actually used all three of those formats, though I admit the 8-inch disk was only a game (yes, it was Colossal Cave). The other two are properly termed diskettes because they are smaller than the 8-inch size.

TonyBlack, I think you may be right. The Press certainly had a presence and its servants felt its demands. (As did another part of the industrial revolution but I finally remembered we aren't supposed to give spoilers for other books.)
A Small God is different from an Anthropomorphic Personification, as it need not resemble a human at all. They often do because humans think that way, but when it isn't visualized that way,, it can be a more appropriate shape.
Dunmanifestin would be very different if small gods didn't take on humaniform bodies. The Press doesn't move around by itself, fortunately. It has minions for that. Nevertheless, it is fearsome in its own right.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I cannot believe I typed "Disk". It's something that I find annoying when other people do it.
It's all right, no harm done. :) Sorry for being a pedantic so-and-so. *blush*

=Tamar ... oops! :eek: I've only ever used the 5.25" and 3.5" inch versions. I've never seen an 8" disk - wow! :)

I agree that a Small God is different from an Anthropomorphic Personification. An AP is something like Death, the Hogfather etc. - they're not gods at all. Also ...

A Small God ... need not resemble a human at all.
It need not even be visible, as we learn in Small Gods. :)

They often do because humans think that way, but when it isn't visualized that way, it can be a more appropriate shape.
Er ... some gods do, yes, but others (e.g. Offler) don't. They're just humanoid.

Dunmanifestin would be very different if small gods didn't take on humaniform bodies.
Small Gods are not in Dunmanifestin. :) But I agree: if gods didn't take on humanoid bodies, Dunmanifestin would be more like the Dungeon Dimensions. :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Would the Press qualify as a Medium-Sized God? its influence seems rather widespread. We don't know whether it has appeared in Dunmanifestin. But it has lost one embodiment and yet still retains power in its new embodiment, which is a lot like resurrection.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Interesting point - the Press certainly has the power to push someone, or something up to deity status. It seemed to me that Om had never been a player in Dunmanifesting, however Nuggan was there and seemed to be diminishing to the point that he was trying to pretend to be (in The Last Hero) like the greater gods, using puppetry and slight of hand, in an attempt to stay relevant.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Football is definitely a goddess; she appeared in that first scene, having, as I think the prologue has it, gotten to the point where she just couldn't take it any more. She also has an avatar in Jools.

Yes, Iron Girder counts.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Do you all think that Willem was struck by, and than became the devotee of a Small God - namely the "Press"? The book suggests something more than just printing papers about the Disk.
Yes! This also reminds me of currently-unfashionable poet Kipling's "The Press", which, with a fine array of rhetoric and Biblical flourishes, concludes that "King among all the children of Pride is now and ever the Press!"

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Absolutely! The Press has the power to sway people and their ideas. We see this in our own world where people rationalise the terrible actions of an individual person or set of people, based on what they read in a biased media.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
I think the idea of Small Gods actually goes way back in history, with the concept of "Household Deities". Not particularly a real thing, but an idea of a spirit, good or bad (probably mischievous) that may have an effect on daily life in a family home.
So like the Roman Lares and Penates, or the Northern European brownies or hobs—creatures who exist to take care of domestic details, but you can keep on the right side of them or not, serving as an Awful Warning to the slovenly, the slapdash or the ill-prepared.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm ... just wondering. Is Janus counted among the Lares and Penates? I've heard of him as the (minor) god of doorways and beginnings etc., and his name is the reason for "January". But other than that ... *shrug* :)

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Hmm ... just wondering. Is Janus counted among the Lares and Penates? I've heard of him as the (minor) god of doorways and beginnings etc., and his name is the reason for "January". But other than that ... *shrug* :)
Not really—I checked on Wikipedia just now, and in fact we have got it roughly right in our New Year’s Day. The two-faced god is not of physical doorways, but of endings and beginnings, time, duality, and liminal states (would be a good god for Lancre witches, who deal in “edge cases”) . In our New Year’s Resolutions, we look backwards to the silly or bad things we’ve done wrong, and decide not to cock things to quite such an egregious extent in the coming year…

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Like everyone else, I have a strong image of Mr Pin and Mr Tulip. As regards the “potato” in Uberwald/Borogravis, I think it represents subsistence farming, the thing you hold onto as everything else gets stolen to fund (or by) passing soldiers. So Mr Tulip represents the love of aesthetics that makes him partly redeemable, although the anger and the desire for drugs drives him down.

Mr Pin is one of Pterry’s pure psychopaths (like Carcer, Teatime &c). It’s clear that nothing is too small, too petty, too insignificant, to make him want to kill people.

User Menu

Newsletter