To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
Have you two finished yet? :laugh:
Nope. You may have to create a special discussion area just for us. And then quarantine it. Even then, there's no guarantee leakage won't occur.

:eek:

But at least I'm somehow trying to bring the actual discussion topic into this...as lame as the attempts may be.

:laugh:

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I will never finish :p Actually have read the book - did I say that? Quite liked it, read it only last year for reading group. Haven't seen the film, but so many clips that I feel like I have.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
The film version was actually a pretty faithful adaptation, one of the better book-to-film renditions that didn't totally gut the plot or completely sanitize it. It's also noteworthy for having the first truly notable on-screen appearance by Robert Duvall, even if he doesn't talk at all.

J-I-B

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Hi all!
I am back from Canada - was on a business trip there. Loved country and people - the weather was aweful - compared to Ireland - 29 plus more than 60 percent humidity - killing me.
Well, back to the topic, please, don't feel that you offended/hated me - that wasn't my intention. As Father Ted described Father Jack: "Likes the Old Drink. Hates children. And never approach him from behind."
I am different a little bit - I adore kids. The rest is pretty much the truth I would say.
In any case, I was serious about what I said but I thank you that you are not! Life is for being alive!
If anybody hates me - this is their/his/her problem!
Jan, never thought that my words would touch you this way - my apologies - I would say as the old Bertie said: "I say...". I am sorry if I troubled you. Really I just wanted to say the fact - the way we studied our classics - all behaviour should be based on the codex of being a loyal member of your party. That's it.
In any case,
Sorry if I troubled all of you - didn't want anybody to go over the Edge :) ,
Itself. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Glad you're back Andie - I hate the heat and humidity as well :laugh:

No need for apologies - I'm very passionate about books and what they mean to people and I just didn't want you to think we didn't like you because you'd said that you had to be careful about you said about the classics when you were at school - it just made me feel very sad things were that way. The last thing I wanted to do was upset you or make you feel unhappy. :)

Anyway - we've been very silly in here ever since so I'm glad you're back in time for us to start talking about the book properly again ;)

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Well, Looked at my recent post - really funny - stopping this discussion about all that - party, parties, leaders and clowns.
In any case, my best wishes to all!!!!
We live in a real Discworld - since we are peolpe.
My best wishes - just read the book - and understand the name for the bird - Mockingbird! This is the clue - not to Kill.
Peace,
Me.

Maria

Constable
Nov 14, 2010
I read this book for the first time when I was 12 as part of a reading group at school and it had quite an impact on me. So much so that I eventually bought my own copy when I was 14, and it's one that I read every year. It really is a classic.

The best thing about this story is the double meaning; when I read the book I took Tom Robinson to be the Mocking Bird that sang all day, as he helped Mayella and felt pity for her situation and for that, he was quite literally, shot. However the film highlighted the kindness of the elusive Boo Radley, and what a sin it would be to expose him to public life for doing the town such a favour (killing Bob Ewell to defend Jem). A marvellous book that I begged to study as part of our GCSE, however we did Lord of the Flies.

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Great movie too! I really like Gregory Peck in it.

There is an old photo of my Dad, one of my brothers and me in which he looks very much like Gregory Peck in that movie, I am refering to the scene in which he shoots the rabid dog. My father lends a hand to each of us and has taken a stance as if he wants to say: "If you are going to do anything to my kids you will have to kill me first". Unfortunately I can't upload that picture; it is in one of the family albums of my parents; you would certainly see the similarity.

User Menu

Newsletter