To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
raisindot said:
poohcarrot said:
That's because I'm a reformed character these days. 8)
Ahhh, well that explains why I saw Ronnie Soak's milk truck crossing the sky today....

:laugh:

J-I_B
No, you saw Ronnie Soak's milk truck because you've got your head so far in the clouds, which would explain why you have trouble with the simplest tasks such as using the correct hyphons in your own initials. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
No, you saw Ronnie Soak's milk truck because you've got your head so far in the clouds, which would explain why you have trouble with the simplest tasks such as using the correct hyphons in your own initials. :laugh:
Ah, there we are. Back to normal. Knew ths whole "reformed" charade wouldn't last. :laugh:

And, while we're playing English Police here, I'm pretty sure on both sides of the Pond that the word 'hyphen' is spelled with an 'e' after the second 'h.' Unless this is one of those Japanese-English things.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laugh:

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
I've got to play fair and leave you with something to get back at me with, haven't I? :laugh:
So, so, predictable you are, Pooh. So much so I predicted it. Note my message hidden away near the very bottom of

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/v ... 6&start=60

...predicting you'd say that. Posted an hour before you posted this above. You're losing your edge, sir!

And, yes, I know you saw that message.

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
I've got to play fair and leave you with something to get back at me with, haven't I? :laugh:
So, so, predictable you are, Pooh. So much so I predicted it. Note my message hidden away near the very bottom of

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/v ... 6&start=60

...predicting you'd post something like this. My prediction was posted an hour before you posted this above.

And, yes, I know you saw that message. And responded to it. Ten minutes after you posted here. You're losing your edge, sir!

:twisted: :) :p

J-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
J-I_B said:
I can't even really count the ways that I disagree with you on this. I think TFE is, if not the the best DW novel, certainly among the top 3, even with the desultory Colon-Nobs subplot.
Have I ever claimed to be the best speller in the world? No.
Did I recently state that my electronic dictionary had broken? Yes.
Have I ever said that it doesn't matter about spelling so long as people understand what you mean? Yes.
Did I pull you up fo a spelling mistake? No.
Did I pull you up for being slapdash and not even bothering to see if you had typed your signature correctly? Yes.
Did I make any comment about the fact that you can't even spell correctly one of the main characters from a DW book you claim is in your top 3? No.
Did it take me less than 30 seconds to find one of your spelling mistakes? Yes.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...and from the same post:
J-I_B said:
For the first time, she becomes his true partner, and, by becoming pregnant, she gives transforms Vimes from someone who sees himself as nothing but a copper to a man who will soon have a larger and meaningful purpose in life, creating the 'ultimate' Vimes of Night Watch and Thud!

There are just so many amazing scenes in this book: The bandit attack, where we first see Vimes's cool-and-collected persona emerge;
I reckon there are four mistakes in this bit. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Did I pull you up about them? No.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Vintage, Pooh! And quite predictable. :laugh:

I generally don't point out spelling/grammar errors of others 1) because, as has been rightly pointed out, I'm guilty of the same and 2) what's the bloody point? But, really, someone had to draw him out of his quite uncharacteristically mellow mood. Glad to oblige, as usual.

How does this relate to "To Kill a Mockingbird?" Well, Pooh does have a certain Dill-ish quality to him, and the literary temperament of Bob Ewell.

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Ah, but J-I_B can you find the four mistakes? 8)
Feel free to take as much time as you want. :laugh:
I waste neither time nor effort to try to find my own mistakes...at least not on forum postings. Life is far too short. If others wish to do so and aim a verbal arrow at my fumble-fingered expense (as many certainly have done in the past), I'm quite fine with painting a bulls-eye on my back to facilitate matters...as long as I'm not treated like poor Tom Robinson, the ill-fated racial scapegoat of "To Kill a Mockingbird," which is, after all, the topic of this discussion.

:)

Besides, my troll-thinking-helmet is on the fritz so I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

J^I&B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
Just for the record here are the mistakes. :laugh:
J-I_B said:
For the first time, she becomes his true partner, and, by becoming pregnant, she gives transforms Vimes from someone who sees himself as nothing but a copper to a man who will soon have a larger and meaningful purpose in life, creating the 'ultimate' Vimes of Night Watch and Thud!

There are just so many amazing scenes in this book: The bandit attack, where we first see Vimes's cool-and-collected persona emerge;

User Menu

Newsletter