Top 5 Terry Pratchett novels

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hi there Malanur - the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about ;)

Small Gods is BIG on here actually if you look back a bit, but in a way it's a fairly serious (or maybe personal) subject matter, so some people rate the more entertaining books ahead of it. It's certainly my favourite Disc book. :laugh:

As for Sourcery I agree with you 100% on Rincewind. He's a great character, realistic and honest (instead of trying to be brave and dead :p ). It's an early book though and in those Terry's still finding out about Discworld himself in a way, so the Disc is still growing and being defined and therefore not so well thought out as the later books? That's one of the most interesting things about reading Terry I find, because sometimes you feel as though you're learning about the new places and people with him :laugh: I felt very sorry for Coin in that actually - especially when the staff was being mean to him, when all he wanted was friends and to have people like him :(

Lots to do and talk about on here anyway so enjoy exploring the site and the other people on here :laugh:

malanur

Aug 18, 2009
Austria
Hey, that’s very kind of you all, I really appreciate this :laugh:
the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about
Thank you for that too… well, I often have the feeling that my German makes it somehow difficult to manage English word order. You know, to express what one wants to express and not to do a word-by-word translation. I fear some of my sentences may sound very weird ;)
Yeah, the whole Coin story was touching, especially the last few scenes at the top of the tower, when the older wizards finally just turn their backs at him… nasty, nasty father he had. There were also a lot of scenes when I actually felt really sorry for Rincewind (the moment Conina meets Nijel for the first time for example or – even worse – when he pulls off his hat, shouting: “What does this tell you?” and some honest barbarian hero answers “That you can’t spell” or something … a complete downfall :laugh: )

So, thank you so much for the nice welcoming, I’m looking forward to explore the topics

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
malanur said:
Hey, that’s very kind of you all, I really appreciate this :laugh:
the German-speaking people have a lot more talent for making the effort with foreign languages than the lazy British so, as Tony says just ask about anything you're not sure about
Thank you for that too… well, I often have the feeling that my German makes it somehow difficult to manage English word order. You know, to express what one wants to express and not to do a word-by-word translation. I fear some of my sentences may sound very weird ;)
Yeah, the whole Coin story was touching, especially the last few scenes at the top of the tower, when the older wizards finally just turn their backs at him… nasty, nasty father he had. There were also a lot of scenes when I actually felt really sorry for Rincewind (the moment Conina meets Nijel for the first time for example or – even worse – when he pulls off his hat, shouting: “What does this tell you?” and some honest barbarian hero answers “That you can’t spell” or something … a complete downfall :laugh: )

So, thank you so much for the nice welcoming, I’m looking forward to explore the topics
I haven't read that book in a long time. There are a lot of discworld books
I have to reread, because I didn't understand them back then. But I want to read them in English, not in german... Should have a look on the internet sometime...

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
welcome to the site malanur :)

this is exactly what i mean about nonenglish people apoligizing for their bad grammer when its word perfect and a damn site better than mine :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh :rolleyes:

malanur

Aug 18, 2009
Austria
aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh
Oh, I’m sorry for that ;)
Thanks for the welcoming (Bewillkommnung) though :laugh: Very nice of you all, though I am completely new to message boards I already feel really comfortable here ^^

haven't read that book in a long time. There are a lot of discworld books
I have to reread, because I didn't understand them back then. But I want to read them in English, not in german... Should have a look on the internet sometime...
Yes, that’s really amazing. I’ve been reading the series back in my 13s/14s and my 17s/18s and I still find so many details I’ve simply missed. I'm sure there must be dozens of worldplays I didn't really get because of my poor vocabulary back then - which is an advantage really as it leaves a lot of things to be discovered yet ;)

Apr 29, 2009
London
There are an awful lot of things that go right over my head in the Discworld books.

But that's coz I'm simple! :laugh:

I was re-reading Music With Rocks In (can't for the life of me remember the real name) and I knew there were some nods to rock bands (Madness, and Deff Leppard spring to mind) but others just left me bewildered.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Soul Music. ;)

You could always check out the annotations on L-Space.org. HERE'S the one for Soul Music.

And HERE'S the ones for the rest of the books. :laugh:

One of the best references in Soul Music (I thought) was the song that Imp sings at the festrival with his newly repaired harp. The song is called Sioni Bod Da, which could be translated from Welsh as Johnny B Good.

And Imp Y Celin really can be translated from Welsh as Bud of the Holly (Buddy Holly). :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chris.ph said:
cwm doesnt sound like koom in swansea in might in cardiff but not in swansea :laugh: cwm sounds more like kuum with a soft m ;)
It doesn't sound much like it in Cardiff either, but you have to remember that Terry is an Englishman. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter