Turtle Recall

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
:laugh: Yes! I've seen these before, but they're always good for a laugh. :) Thanks, Penfold!

By the way, I think I've got all the references - but I think I need to ask these questions:

1. In the Hogfather picture, I think I recognise everyone; from left to right, it's Teatime, Albert, Gawain Gaiter, DEATH, Twyla Gaiter, the Oh God of Hangovers, and Susan. Am I right? (Although Susan looks far more authoritarian and strict, plus her hair isn't quite as I remember it - it was white with a stripe of black, IIRC).

2. In the Jingo picture, the gray figure with the sword sticking through him can only be Reg Shoe! :laugh: Detritus is behind, obviously, and "Al" Colon is in front. Angua, Carrot, Vimes and Nobby are easy to recognise; the crowd scenes include Vetinari, 71-Hour Ahmed, and Leonard da Quirm.

3. In the Witches Abroad scene, Magrat looks far more snobby than usual, and Nanny looks positively... well, menacing. I thought it was Granny who got to do the scowling and the rassin' frassin' fightin'. :twisted:

All this is by the by, though... these breathe life into the novels. Wonderful!

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Susan's hair does have the stripe of black, but it's drawn along the edge of her left front hairline instead of combed toward the back.

The Witches Abroad picture is showing the scene where Granny and Magrat were arguing and "not speaking to each other" and Nanny was understandably angry with both of them.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh? But in the WA picture (here: https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/proje ... bd8e76.jpg), Nanny's hat is already squashed. IIRC my WA, Nanny neither gets angry (she just wishes fervently for a drink) nor is her hat squashed just yet (because it's about to - three minutes later, 'a farmhouse fell on her head').

I also don't recall Barton Saturday joining them on the road to see Miss Lilith, the wonderful Lilith of Oz... ahem. :twisted:

How do we explain these discrepancies?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I like this work but he seems far more influenced by Josh Kirby and the 'overripted" school of fantasy art than Kidby. Kirby uses a more exaggerated "cartoony" style that accentuated physical attributes. The ugly are horridly ugly, thin women are emaciated; "full figured women (like Angua) are voluptuous, big people are giants, old people are horrible looking, small people are tiny, etc. Kidby, on the other hand, really tried to to get away from this kind of stereotyping and present more realistic looking characters, and in that I think his illustrations were far more in the spirit of what Pterry wanted his characters to look like.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Much as I like Paul Kidby's pictures, I feel the realism of the characters is actually a drawback. I can happily ignore Kirby's and Simonetti's illustrations as being larger than life. Kidby's sets up an imagine in my mind that is harder to dismiss. It's like watching a film version of your favourite book that has an actor in the part who is nothing like the image in your head. For example - Sean Bean is nothing like the description of Richard Sharpe, but now Bean is forever stuck in my head as that character.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
Much as I like Paul Kidby's pictures, I feel the realism of the characters is actually a drawback. I can happily ignore Kirby's and Simonetti's illustrations as being larger than life. Kidby's sets up an imagine in my mind that is harder to dismiss. It's like watching a film version of your favourite book that has an actor in the part who is nothing like the image in your head. For example - Sean Bean is nothing like the description of Richard Sharpe, but now Bean is forever stuck in my head as that character.
If you mean that Kidby's illustrations end up seeming like the "definitive" portrait of DW characters, whether you want them to be or not, I think you're right. For example, I can't really recall a single Kirby illustration of a particular character because they're all kind of, well, cartoony. But, for example, Kidby's illustration of Vetinari with the black hair and little goatee--which I think is based on Steven Briggs'--is to me the absolutely definitive Vetinari (Simon himself seems to use Kidby's illustration for his own illustration of the Patrician). Before that, I always thought of Vetinari as looking much older than Vimes, but now I can't imagine of him looking any other way. I feel the same way about his Vimes--Simon's portrayal, by comparison, just seems wrong because Kidby's seems so "right" that it chases away any other possible interpretation in my mind.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, that is pretty much what I was getting at. I've heard people complain that someone playing Rincewind, looked nothing like him. Most people's idea of Rincewind is probably based on Paul Kidby's illustration. Terry generally didn't give a firm description of any of his characters. We know about Susan's hair and the colour of Granny's eyes, but what do we really know just from Terry's descriptions?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
You're right, Pterry didn't always give detailed descriptions of characters. More often he did a rough sketch accentuating a couple of physical attributes and left the reader to fill in the rest. We know that Agnes Nitt is obese and has fantastic hair, but the rest of her looks are a mystery. Fred Colon is immsensely fat, but is he tall or short? Ridcully is a huge man with (obiously) a wizard's beard, but is he fat or just well built? Mr. Tulip is a huge man, but is he really the hulking giant Simon portrays him as (I don't think so). Wiliam De Worde gets no description at all other than his parentage. We never know what Moist really looks like (although we do get a good sense of what Adorabelle looks like).

A

Anonymous

Ixi said:
It's been bugging me the last couple of days - who is the guy on the left next to Death? The only one I could think of is Igor, but his eyes seems too even for that :laugh:.

Amazing artwork on the cover!

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter