UK vs US editions

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I like the black cover ones ,they look cool and I would never have read Terry Pratchett books if Kirby stayed the cover artist,because it was the cover that got me to read Thud!,then the name made me read the some of the others.I intent on buying the Kirby ones until I get to the Kidby ones(which I really like :) ) and in my opinion the US ones are down right ugly ;)

manicmama

Apr 24, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
Nothing to do with Dicworld books, but I recently bought a book from amazon. ca to replace a British copy lost years ago. The book was Solzhenitsyn's A Day in The Life, and the copy I received is an American imprint. All I can say is, it's not the book I remember. I'm fairly certain the British copy left all the Russian slang in, with asterisks so you could check the meaning at the bottom of the page. The edition I now have, has no Russian words whatsoever, and a lot of Americanisms which in my opinion, simply don't fit with the tone of the book. It's hard to remember that you're reading about a prison camp in Siberia, and not perhaps, Texas. Also I feel it's a bit insulting to American readers, it almost suggests that they won't be able to understand or enjoy the text unless it's put in familiar language. And surely half the pleasure of reading books from a different culture is to get some of the flavour of that culture?

I dont have any Paul Kidby's. :( They dont seem to have them here. I have 4 josh kirby's and 8 rubishy computerized images from harper collins

The_Discworldaholic said:
No i agree with you Fizz im a purist collector with over 500 in my collection now but i do like the new covers, its just a shame they fall apart so quickly, (theyre not glued very well i think ;) )
Thats why i always read them with them only open a sliver and try to peer down the page ;)

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
raisindot said:
In any case, blame the U.S. publisher for going with their horrible covers, rather than the public. Changing covers is not going to increase sales of DW books among the initiated. Better marketing will do it.

J-I-B
Well said. ;)

Sometimes I prefer the US covers, sometimes the UK covers - depends. Either way, I'm not all that bothered by what's on the outside. I tend to think what counts is what's between the covers. I've also read both versions of many of the books and I can't say I noticed a huge difference other than a lot of extra "U"s in one. :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
raisindot said:
In any case, blame the U.S. publisher for going with their horrible covers, rather than the public. Changing covers is not going to increase sales of DW books among the initiated. Better marketing will do it.

J-I-B
How will better marketing increase sales of DW books among the initiated? o_O It's the uninitiated that should be the target for marketing. 8)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
raisindot said:

J-I-B
How will better marketing increase sales of DW books among the initiated? o_O It's the uninitiated that should be the target for marketing. 8)
It took you a whole month to get that snipe in? Usually you're much faster than that.

8)

Of course I originally meant uninitiated, but the fingers don't do what the mind commands sometimes.

:)

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter