Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hi Bushman 74

Professor Bengo is gay. Madame Sharn is a male dwarf dressing up as a woman and is gay. Pepe, I'm not sure about because there doesn't appear to be enough information, but I assume he used to be Madame Sharn's lover but now abstains from sex.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome from me too :)

Bushman74 said:
Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works.
Don't worry, I was new to all this forum (and internet) stuff when I joined but you soon get the hang of it. Just have fun! :laugh: If you have any questions, just ask (Not that some of the replies will make any sense tho ;) )

Draywoman

Lance-Constable
Jan 23, 2010
Forest of Dean
Welcome Bushman. No doubt about it, Pterry is playing to stereotypes with a world of women's fashion dominated by gay men/male dwarves. The twist is that these two are far from rarified fashionista's but more streetwise and tricksy.

As for Bengo Macarona, I thought the implication was that he was, ahem, ambidextrous, as it were :oops:. in fact, open to new and exciting experiences of any species or gender...

Ooh, Matron!

Herron451

Aug 14, 2010
Hi all. Long time reader of the books but new to your forum here. (long time listener, first time caller)
I agree about the professor, and acknowledge that Pepe is both human (dwarf by adoption sort of thing) and a right bastard, but I am almost as confused about his sexual identity as I was about my own once upon a time. Is he bi, gay, or straight, simply acting a part for the purpose of sales?
And regarding Madame Sharn where do you reach the conclusion that she is a cross dresser and not "truly" female? What hints give this away?

It seems strange, but I really want Pepe to be gay, as he is a beautifully stereotype shattering character if he is. Kinda like Willem Defoe in Boondock Saints.
BTW, Draywoman, you have an AWESOME tagline. :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hi and welcome Herron

Page 386 Unseen Academicals Hard back.

Pepe: I've never seen such a large cheeseboard. It almost makes celibacy seem worthwhile.
Madame Sharn: Oh, do you think so?
Pepe: No. By the way, have you noticed that very tall wizard giving you the eye, my dear?
Madame Sharn: That's professor Bengo Macarona. (who is gay) Do you think he -
Pepe: Without a shadow of doubt, my dear. I know he's hurt his legs, but I doubt if that would be a problem.

Page 388

Pepe: I am an old bugger. I am a sod.

Herron451

Aug 14, 2010
Y'know, oddly enough, I read that over a couple of times and just never clicked it fully. lol

And the Bugger statement I took to mean more of the generic vulgarity form of the word, rather than the literal sense. But i guess with everything else it makes more sense literally.
And thank you for the welcome as well

Sep 4, 2010
Isle of Wight
Hi to you all,

Thank you for opening my eyes to another aspect of Unseen Academicals. I had seen it as commentary on class stereotyping, and very much as a prequel, but the gender issues passed me by. Ach y fi!

One Man Bucket

Lance-Corporal
Oct 8, 2010
Generally speaking, if a dwarf says they're female they probably are but with the whole parody of the fashion industry it's possible Sharn is merely fabulous. We can never know his/her until he/she bares all.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
Herron451 said:
Hi all. Long time reader of the books but new to your forum here. (long time listener, first time caller)
I agree about the professor, and acknowledge that Pepe is both human (dwarf by adoption sort of thing) and a right bastard, but I am almost as confused about his sexual identity as I was about my own once upon a time. Is he bi, gay, or straight, simply acting a part for the purpose of sales?
My own feeling is that Pepe plays the part of a flamboyant effeminate gay because that is what is expected of him as a fashionista. Underneath the surface, Pepe is a hard embittered working class lad made good with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. And still gay.

But that's just my opinion. o_O

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
You know I have read this book 3 times and listen to it about 6 times and I knew that Pepe was in love with Madame, but I never thought in a million years that they were both gay until I read this thread.

I had an idea that Pepe was gay or maybe Bi since you don't know what sex dwarfs were and Pepe could like that bisexual bend to it. And I wondered why if Madame was straight why was she interested in Bendigo. Now knowing about the 'Bugger and sod' it makes sense. I guess being a Yank (no pun intended) I missed out on that.

Now the book makes more sense and I might need to read it again soon.

The only thing that confuses me is when Madame is telling Glenda about being a female as a King, but being a Queen then he/she is king. But that makes sense. Being an old 'Queen'! OH! an A-HA moment! An Old QUEEN!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is why I love Terry. All the little hidden gems and Jewels ( ;)) you can find after many readings and picking aparts!

dennykay

Lance-Corporal
Apr 21, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Exp. Date said:
You know I have read this book 3 times and listen to it about 6 times and I knew that Pepe was in love with Madame, but I never thought in a million years that they were both gay until I read this thread.

I had an idea that Pepe was gay or maybe Bi since you don't know what sex dwarfs were and Pepe could like that bisexual bend to it. And I wondered why if Madame was straight why was she interested in Bendigo. Now knowing about the 'Bugger and sod' it makes sense. I guess being a Yank (no pun intended) I missed out on that.

Now the book makes more sense and I might need to read it again soon.

The only thing that confuses me is when Madame is telling Glenda about being a female as a King, but being a Queen then he/she is king. But that makes sense. Being an old 'Queen'! OH! an A-HA moment! An Old QUEEN!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is why I love Terry. All the little hidden gems and Jewels ( ;)) you can find after many readings and picking aparts!

that, in a nutshell.

now i'm only waiting for a discussion about the agony aunts' sex, somehow they always read male to me.

User Menu

Newsletter