Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
SPOILERS

At first all dwarves wore male clothes.

Then Cheery started wearing female clothes and other female dwarves followed suit.

The next logical step to make the circle complete, is for male dwarves to start wearing female dwarves' clothes too.

Therefore I believe Madame (and Pepe) is male! 8)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The question is though - is Pepe a dwarf or a human who is very short? It seems to me that he's a human suffering from dwarfism rather than a dwarf acting like a human. :p

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
:rolleyes: And there's me thinking I was stating something not obvious. :rolleyes:

So what line gave it away for you Dotsie?

I thought at first Madame was a "Fag Hag". (BTW I mean absolutely no offence by this term and you'll see the following Wiki quote shows it to be equally embraced and objected to). If you check "Fag Hag on wiki, it's quite an interesting article.

Wiki said:
Fag hag is a gay slang phrase referring to a woman who either associates mostly or exclusively with gay and bisexual men, or has gay and bisexual men as close friends. The phrase originated in gay male culture in the United States and was historically an insult. Some women who associate with gay men object to being called fag hags, while others embrace the term.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Wasn't that mentioned in Fifth Elephant already though? Pretty sure Terry said she's a she.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Penfold said:
Makes me wonder whether Rhys, Low King of the Dwarfs is actually Rhys, Low Queen of the Dwarfs? o_O
Rhys is definitely female. S/he so far as admitted it to when s/he was giving Cheery her bag of gold during the "rewards" ceremony at the end TFE. The entire AM party heard it as well.

That's why Rhys's scene in UA where s/he is asking about the new comfymail was funny and perfect in-joke for TFE readers. If you hadn't read TFE, the joke is lost.

J-I-B

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Raisindot wrote:

"Rhys is definitely female. S/he so far as admitted it to when s/he was giving Cheery her bag of gold during the "rewards" ceremony at the end TFE. The entire AM party heard it as well".

Dotsie Wrote:

Wasn't that mentioned in Fifth Elephant already though? Pretty sure Terry said she's a she.

Oops :oops: Yes, I forgot about that, its been ages since I read TFE.

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Pepe told Glenda that he joined the Dwarfs - you just have to believe some things and you're a dwarf. and know the right people. and Madame knew the right things about the right people.

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
lyn said:
Pepe told Glenda that he joined the Dwarfs - you just have to believe some things and you're a dwarf. and know the right people. and Madame knew the right things about the right people.
Yes, early on in the book when Glenda wakes up from her sherry-induced nap at the micro-mail show and stumbles into the back alley area. I think Pepe said he was a Cockbill Street boy (I think, could be a different area) that joined the Dwarfs when Glenda makes a reference to Uberweld.

Later on, Glenda observes Madam and Pepe holding hands.

Bushman74

Feb 9, 2010
New Zealand
Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works. I've just finished reading 'Unseen Academicals' which I love BUT I'm confused. What is the relationship between Madame Sharn & Pepe? & is Bengo gay or straight or what?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site Bushman74. :laugh:

I'm not sure about Pepe and Madame myself - It seems as if Pepe is a human dwarf rather than a 'real' dwarf and we already know that gender tends to be 'difficult' with dwarfs. I think it's a case of Terry playing games with gender confusion and actually, I don't think it really matters (except to them) what their relationship is.

As to Bengo - I think there's definitely a suggestion that he's probably gay. That doesn't seem to bother anyone else - and why should it? ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Bushman74 :laugh:

Like Tony says, this is a book where Terry finally starts to look at gender confusion and homosexuality for real, rather than playing around it like in Monstrous regiment. Whilst it doesn't matter, it's still a valid point for discussion, but I can't remember enough of the book to say any more.

Why do you hate dd smash?

User Menu

Newsletter