SPOILERS Unseen Academicals **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Bouncy Castle said:
What did you do that was so bad they made you move to Hull? ;)

Hey, don't knock Hull! It's got dozens of skee ball arcardes, tattoo parlors, fried dough stands, and snooty rich people who put large fences around their yard to block public access to its main attraction, Nantasket Beach, which probably has more big hair, tramp stamps, metal studs and inappropriately fitting skimpy swimsuits per-capita than any beach town in the U.S.

Oh, you're talking about Hull in the UK, then! Nevermind!

:laugh:

J-I-B

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
Penfold said:
Hellooo and welcome from me too, high eight! :laugh: Are you also a fan of Boris?
Oh yes, I think he was a most under-rated actor. :laugh:

Hi everybody! High Eight (named after a Keith Roberts ghost story) here from Gillingham, Kent. Birdwatcher, reader of SF and fantasy and lover of old fillums.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
poohcarrot said:
Hi 8! :p

What's your picture?
It's me doing my Edwin Drood impersonation.

Rochester Cathedral is floodlit at night and you can get some very interesting shadow effects by standing in front of the lights.

If you're interested, there are full size versions here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15471937@N06/3146545775/in/set-72157611778604427/

And a slightly 'messed-around with' version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15471937@N06/3146553143/in/set-72157611778604427/

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
A friend from my post-school days used to live in a graveyard (where her dad was a caretaker). Yes, her house was actually inside the cemetary! The family dog used to have mad moments of staring at blank, empty walls and corners growling and barking, hackles raised. The cat would screech and run for no reason. The front lawn came complete with gravestones and you had to walk through the graves to leave at night. That was fairly spooky.

Penfold said:
A friend from my post-school days used to live in a graveyard (where her dad was a caretaker). Yes, her house was actually inside the cemetary! The family dog used to have mad moments of staring at blank, empty walls and corners growling and barking, hackles raised. The cat would screech and run for no reason. The front lawn came complete with gravestones and you had to walk through the graves to leave at night. That was fairly spooky.
That sounds actually kind of cool...

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
We nearly bought a place with family graves in the garden, but the place needed to be restored using original materials, which was just too much work. The graves didn't bother me at all, and cats and dogs are always bonkers. Maybe if the cat's head started spinning round I'd feel a bit spooked.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think (I don't have the book handy) that it means something like 'there's only one'. That would fit with the football chant that goes:

One [insert name here]
There's only one [insert name here]
One [insert name here]
There's only one [insert name here]

Sung to the tune of the chorus of Guantanamera. :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter