What are some good Christian Books to read?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Funny that you've made four posts and started three new threads on a site about Terry Pratchett and haven't mentioned him or his books once.

Which books of Terry's have you read?

They tend to be anti-organised religion, which would probably be perfect for Bible studies as the best way (in my experience) to study religion is with an open mind. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Carpe Jugulum is also a very good book that explores religion - but then a lot of the books do. Thud, for example has some really good bits about fundamentalism. :)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hi

I would recommend a book called The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

As a Christian, some people might try to belittle your beliefs by using quotes from the aforementioned book to back up their attacks. Know your enemy, sort of thing.

If you want something lighter and Pratchett-related I'd suggest Darwin's Watch. 8)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
...or how about the Koran? A good exercise in comparative analysis.

Or Terry Pratchett's Nation, in which the main character fights with his indoctrinated religious beliefs and eventually chooses science over religion, while at the same time exploding the bizarre assumption that the world is only 6,000 years old. 8)

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
poohcarrot said:
...or how about the Koran? A good exercise in comparative analysis.
I took Religious Studies as an 'O' Level subject at school thinking that the title meant I would be learning about the different religions around the world (and in this country, too). I couldn't have been more wrong! :( Mine was a CofE school and the curriculum only covered the Acts of the Apostles according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Several of my essays were returned marked with things like "0/10. JESUS WAS THE SUN OF GOD! REWRITE!!!" Needless to say this attitude from the teacher soured my views of organized religion when other equally valid viewpoints were dismissed out of hand.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
It wouldn't would it? :laugh:

I remember a Star Trek episode where the crew thought the inhabitants of a planet worshipped the Sun only to find out it was a case of parallel history and they were actually worshipping the Son. I obviously got confused and, as usual, assumed technology was to blame. ;)

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
ashtonfarell , As a christian I can whole heartidly concur with Tony, If you are in fact a TP fan essential reading would be Nation , which is excellent and Small Gods. If you can also read Good Omens
In my humble opinion TP's views on the fundamentals are excellent! If you can't relate to the anti-organised religion bits then you need to open yourself up a bit more. After all God has a sense of humour too! :laugh:

Pooh recommended the God delusion, all christians should read this ,if we are to argue our stance we must at least be aware of the counter arguement :laugh:
Science and Evolution or something like that is a book by a scientist who supports evolution but through his studies has become a christian and he attempts to meld the two, A good read ,I'll research the title but it's something to that effect

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
When I went to school (Catholic) and we were doing our mock O'Levels they made us take a religion exam at the same time - much to my annoyance as religious studies weren't on the exam schedule.

I was already having doubts about religion and everything I'd been brought up to believe, so I decided to argue every point in the exam paper. I thought I was going to get in big trouble, so imagine my surprise when I got top marks and came first in the exam. :eek:

It doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not, but it is important to ask yourself questions and to question whether what you are being taught is really true.

We learn more when we ask questions. ;)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
mystmoon said:
I'm currently doing RE A-level, my school is secular, so we do learn about other religions, it's a requirement that you have to be knowledgable about 3 different world religions or you fail.

Have you read John Hicks? He is helpful if the whole Judgement Day dead rising thing is confusing
In your RE A-level class, do you wear jeans and a hoodie with paint on, or a short skirt? :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Day of Judgement thing has always confused me. My understanding was that on the Day of Judgement all the graves would open and everyone would be judged as to where they'd spend the rest of eternity. But most believers seem to think that when they die their spirit goes straight to the afterlife.

Personally I don't believe either, but it always seems a bit of a contradiction. :)

User Menu

Newsletter