What are some good Christian Books to read?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2010
Here is some great books :

- Velvit Elvis by Rob Bell
- Crazy Love, by. Francis Chan
- Love by Francine Rivers
- The Shack by William P. Young
- Wild At Heart - John Eldridge

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Gods,
I thought that was aboot just Discworld - looks very serious - hope we are the people and religion is not something ....... separating us.
In any case, I am PAGAN - an enemy for Judaists/Christians/Muslims - they even preach to kill us in their prayers/preaches - and this is not a sin for them - this is like a deed for their god.
Listen - if we go that far we can end up like a boring forum of digging in our pockets...
Mslf.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I know some Pagans pretty well (quel surprise! :eek: ) and in fact it's a very broad church 8) and probably more like buddhism in that it does take much account of nature and it's seasons, treating the world and inhabitants with respect and geared to finding your own path. True that Wiccans are more organised than some of the others, but it's not too prescriptive.

The parts that give it a bad name ('voodoo' dolls or wicker men) are in general those that early christians mucked about with, or were geared towards the punishment of criminals and not sacrificial as such, although there was ritualisation when offering animal tribute to the gods (who were far less trashy than the Greek variety for instance). :laugh:

As a lifestyle white witching equates to Magrat (as Queen not Maid) and Nanny. Best of all it doesn't try to boss you about too much on who you can love and how to live - it's the oldest of philosophies and therefore it's not surprising that it generally attracts intelligent adults who don't like being treated like idiots or babies. ;)

Jan Van Quirm said:
I know some Pagans pretty well (quel surprise! :eek: ) and in fact it's a very broad church 8) and probably more like buddhism in that it does take much account of nature and it's seasons, treating the world and inhabitants with respect and geared to finding your own path. True that Wiccans are more organised than some of the others, but it's not too prescriptive.

The parts that give it a bad name ('voodoo' dolls or wicker men) are in general those that early christians mucked about with, or were geared towards the punishment of criminals and not sacrificial as such, although there was ritualisation when offering animal tribute to the gods (who were far less trashy than the Greek variety for instance). :laugh:

As a lifestyle white witching equates to Magrat (as Queen not Maid) and Nanny. Best of all it doesn't try to boss you about too much on who you can love and how to live - it's the oldest of philosophies and therefore it's not surprising that it generally attracts intelligent adults who don't like being treated like idiots or babies. ;)
My partner is a Wiccan is this is very much what she loves about it. I myself was raised Christian but now don't really know what I am. I respect howw I was raised and love the church as a solomn plaace to go but I also have a lot of respect for nature and the Wiccan/Pagan. Saying that I do believe really in science and nature at the moment.

:rolleyes:

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
All I know abot religion is:

I am on a mission from Glod!

:laugh:

If you take the concept of th Christian religion at its base (Golden Rule- Do unto others as you would want done unto you. Basically be nice to everyone and treat the kind, help where it is needed and you will have kindness and help when needed) then it is fine. When you start picking phrases out as the ONE reason for your religion then you loose me.

Now in the States the biggest religion item that is in the headline is Gay Marriage, espc Prop 8 in Cailifornia. The one passage (don't ask me wha book or phrase) that a man shall not lay with a man- so being gay/lesbian is BAD! Well within that book there is also if you child should talk back or disrepect you you can stone them to death, f you daughter doesn't do what you say you can sell her ito slavery, and shellfish is an abomiation!

Well, I love my daughter too much to even think of selling her, I tal back to may parents all he time and so far no lumps, and I will miss my hibachi shrimp when I go to my favorite Japanese resturant. So I am evil. How many other "christian" people pick and choose what they want to believe to make it fit into their own reality.

Either it is the whole book or none. Either you are a sinner or not.

Now in my eyes, if the Gays/Lesbians wake up in te morning have breakfast , go to work, go home and eat dinner, have fun on the weekend and contribute to the better of society, break no laws (not Biblical but the ones that Man has placed upon themsevles) and don't harm anyone (i.e. Kill, take or sell drugs, robb, steal, rape, etc...) then they can marry and be happy. What they do behind closed doors (maybe sometimes in the bushes along the side of road late at night when te mood hits ***raises hand quiltily*** :oops: :laugh: ) then more power to them.

Sorry rant over.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Well said, that Rat! :laugh:

Anyhoos, California's Prop 8 has recently been deemed to be unconstitutional under the 14th ammendment, so it's been tossed out. Soon it'll be taken to the Supreme Court, but the judge who tossed it out is a right of centre Reagen appointee, so the chances are Gay marriage will be soon legal. :p

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hollywood would grind to an absolute halt with a load of even more disaffected gays griping to Olympic standard all day every day - it's just a practicality and a piece of paper like the hetero version surely. :laugh:

God lets far worse things happen doesn't he so where's the harm? :laugh:

Also it should be remembered that John was the only apostle Jesus loved so there's at least an altruistic precedent there against homophobia if nothing else. Love by the way does not necessarily mean that either John or Jesus were homosexual, but it might be signifcant that, though a fair number of the apostles were married in their pre-Jesus life, why are all Catholic clerics (nuns and monks too) required to be celibate - I'm pretty sure this wasn't a requirement when the early church was trying to establish itself - it would have been a PR disaster for trying to recruit priests 8)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
That last bit got me thinking about the Eastern Orthodox christians...

wikipedia said:
Clerical celibacy is the practice in various religious traditions, in which clergy adopt a celibate life, refraining from marriage and sexual relationships, including masturbation and "impure thoughts" (such as sexual visualisation and fantasies). Clerical celibacy is the rule for priests and bishops in the Latin Catholic Church and for bishops in Eastern Christianity. It has also been the historical norm for Anglo-Catholic priests.
So the bog standard Orthodox priests (nearest to the original apostolic church) are allowed sexual/marital partners by default. Gotta make sure those new souls keep on getting born... :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hohoho! :laugh: Good one SFA. The prop 8 violates the constitution was at 72% after I voted.

This choice was rather bizarre;
Fox News said:
No -- Marriage is an institution between a man and a woman. I don't care what the judge thinks about the Constitution.
It's basically saying "f*@k the law, let's make up rules that suit Christian right-wing homophobes/Xenophobes!"

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I voted - I like the "disclaimer" at the bottom. "This is not a scientific poll". Eh?

So Fox didn't get to pick their voters, and any old free-thinker can have a say. I love how you can use the word "scientific" to instantly bias your own system, even by claiming it's not.

User Menu

Newsletter