What Are You Reading 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I am half way through THE REBEL by Gerald Brandt last in a trilogy about a dystopian earth which has a token government by run by corporation's at war with each other, (sub titled Sanangeles trilogy) which covers from San Francisco, San Jose and Los Angles and under control as one enclosed area and split into levels from one bottom to seven top, a really good cyberpunk trilogy.
Also have just bought some books by K.J.Parker AKA Tom Holt which some people don't realise he also writes humerous fantasy, has has some glowing reviews for his alias writing.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Reading the new Bernard Cornwell book, War of the Wolf. It's really good, but I'm being very slow with it at the moment. Do you ever have those times where you have a great book, but you just aren't in the mood to read it?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Reading the new Bernard Cornwell book, War of the Wolf. It's really good, but I'm being very slow with it at the moment. Do you ever have those times where you have a great book, but you just aren't in the mood to read it?
All the bloody time. I can barely read something over 250 pages these days, my anhedonia and lack of motivation is that bad...

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
RathDarkblade said:
Tim Bombadil? Is he Tom's long-lost cousin? ;)
Phthbbbbbt.

RathDarkblade said:
But fair enough. I still don't understand, though ... 18th-century English country living, fair enough, but what does it have to do with Middle-Earth?
The best parts of Middle-Earth, and most particularly the Shire, are acknowledged to be an idealized image, what Tolkien apparently wanted England to be, especially after the changes and losses of WWI. JRRT's stated goal was to create a mythos that was particularly English, not borrowed wholly from European or even ancient Greek and Roman sources. Imagine what you believed the world to be like when you were very young and knew nothing of history or war, the world in sanitized late 19th century children's books, make it slightly more grown-up so you can have Arthurian-style heroes, and you get The Lord of the Rings.

I'm currently reading parts of a dozen books, alternately. The most recent is What Jane Austen Ate and What Charles Dickens Knew, a potted history of the 19th century. It has some interesting details but tends to be a little sloppy in places about just when certain cultural changes began, and I've found one complete whopper. (The book isn't handy right now, but it involved something like saying X began around 1850 or so and then saying it happened during the English Regency, which ended about 20 years earlier.) I'm also slowly going through an annotated version of Pride and Prejudice, which seems to be more careful about dates and cultural changes.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
=Tamar said:
I'm currently reading parts of a dozen books, alternately. The most recent is What Jane Austen Ate and What Charles Dickens Knew, a potted history of the 19th century. It has some interesting details but tends to be a little sloppy in places about just when certain cultural changes began, and I've found one complete whopper. (The book isn't handy right now, but it involved something like saying X began around 1850 or so and then saying it happened during the English Regency, which ended about 20 years earlier.)
Hmm, I read that one as well (though I can't remember when). I thought it was interesting, but yes - sloppy editing does creep in sometimes! Tsk tsk.

It reminds me of a book about strange events in London that I read once. Among the other spelling mistakes, the most hilarious was about a king - I forget which, probably Edward II of red-hot-poker fame - which the book says "came to a grizzly end".

Ummm ... suddenly I have this strange mental image of Edward II being pursued by a bear, Shakespeare-style. *LOL*

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Whew. Not only did I attend a science fiction convention and expend my free cash at the bookseller's stall, I visited a friend who was clearing out some books they never intended to reread - I'm surrounded by unread books. I'm currently working through Madness in Manatas, set in an alternative universe version of the East coast of North America. It's light reading, and probably the end of the series.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I finally finished the Bernard Cornwell. It was one of his less impressive books. It had some of the usual elements, but very little real history and a very lazy battle scene.

I'm now reading God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. It's funny how I find myself reading this in Hitchens's voice.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I just finished the latest in the Rivers of London series, and enjoyed it.

Recently read a book called An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. It's a sci fi book, technically. But the sci fi plot is pretty unsatisfying, especially the ending. What is fascinating though, is the psychology of internet fame that's explored with the main character. Worth reading.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Bradley, Alan: As Chimney-Sweepers Come to Dust (2015), the seventh Flavia de Luce novel. Acquired second-hand. It's probably not fair to judge by the seventh book in a series, even if they are all stand-alones. After all, the first book in this series received seven awards. The fifth book was a best seller. I'm sorry to say that although the mystery in this was sufficiently convoluted that I didn't guess the villain until almost the end, I just didn't warm up to the main character. I also thought at first that it was set in the 1930s but eventually there was evidence that it was set in the 1950s.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'd just finished reading The Shortest History of Germany by James Hawes. I'm not sure what to make of it, as I'm not - and have never been - a German or a Germanophile. :)

Reviews have been mixed: The Spectator loves it, History Today calls it "lively but superficial". I thought the ideas presented in it are interesting: Hawes is definitely an expert, but I would like to see more about his argument before I can make up my mind.

This is not an academic book, but then it does not pretend to be one. For someone like me - I didn't know much about Germany apart from the Nazi years, and I wanted to learn more - it's a good start, and if you're like me, then I can definitely recommend it. :) However, if you're an expert on Germany, then you probably won't find much here that you didn't already know.

Nov 21, 2010
Catch-up said:
I just finished the latest in the Rivers of London series, and enjoyed it.

Recently read a book called An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. It's a sci fi book, technically. But the sci fi plot is pretty unsatisfying, especially the ending. What is fascinating though, is the psychology of internet fame that's explored with the main character. Worth reading.
I've read the first Rivers book, with next two lined up
:)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm currently reading The Union Club Mysteries by Isaac Asimov. :)

I always enjoyed Asimov's mysteries, and this one is no exception. One or two of them have dated badly (e.g. when the mystery hinges on something that doesn't happen regularly any more, like a little pouch in a library book to keep your card in), but the vast majority of these are very enjoyable, even today - neary 40 years after they were written - which is no mean feat. Very, very worth tracking down if you're an Asimov fan - you're in for a treat. :) Also check out his "Black Widowers" mysteries, which are just as much fun.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just finished reading "Can't be Arsed: Things NOT To Do Before You Die" by Richard Wilson. Never tried him before but was pleasantly surprised by how amused I was. :) It does get a little repetitive after a while, so I suggest reading maybe 3 or 4 articles at a time before leaving it and moving on to something else.

It's a fun antidote to all the endless "Things To Do/Places To See/Books To Read/Movies To Watch/Etc. Etc. Before You Die" ... and so on. Bleh. I'll make up my own mind about what I want to do, thanks very much. :p

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I just reread Benjamin Tripp's _The Accidental Highwayman_ because I'd forgotten the plot. It does have one but it's almost a picaresque novel, there are so many adventures. Loved it again. There were supposed to be 2 more, making a trilogy, but there's no information at all on the web. Fortunately this one goes to a reasonable stopping place.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm reading The Paper Menagerie, a collection of short stories by Ken Liu. Its pretty good.

Was just forced to read Mums Like Us by Laura Kemp, for a reading group. It's dire! We all hated it.

User Menu

Newsletter