What characters would you like to walk among us?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

What characters would you like to walk among us?

• - Lord Vetinari

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • - Rincewind

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • - The Librarian

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • - Mustrum Ridcully

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • - Granny Weatherwax

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • - Nanny Ogg

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • - Samuel Vimes

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • - Death

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • - Susan Sto Helit

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • - Others

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
:laugh: True! I like that idea... Wow, I never liked Big Brother ('Gran Hermano' in Spain) but I would certainly watch a season with Discworld characters as participants... Laughter guaranteed! :mrgreen:

Who do you think it would win?

Mx

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
Many, many times I feel that the entire world could just benefit from having a Vetinari type leader in charge. We also could benefit from having a Sam Vimes in charge of law and order.

I'd also really like Dorfl to come and deal with the mormon missionaries I live next door to who won't leave me alone.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Perestroika said:
Many, many times I feel that the entire world could just benefit from having a Vetinari type leader in charge. We also could benefit from having a Sam Vimes in charge of law and order.

I'd also really like Dorfl to come and deal with the mormon missionaries I live next door to who won't leave me alone.
Just tell them that you have a ceramic atheist living in the cellar. I guarantee they'll give you strange looks and back away, never to return. ;)

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
RathDarkblade said:
Perestroika said:

Just tell them that you have a ceramic atheist living in the cellar. I guarantee they'll give you strange looks and back away, never to return. ;)

Someone should really make a ceramic atheist tshirt. I'd wear that. all the time.

I also have a habbit of giving the different missionaries who move in omnian nicknames.

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
No, at the moment we have Elder Shame the unbeliever with repeated acts of unrequested kindness and Elder knock upon the infidel's door at inconvenient times.

I don't know what they're really called. we get new ones every few months so I don't really put much effort into remembering their names. it only seems to encourage them.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Perestroika said:
No, at the moment we have...Elder knock upon the infidel's door at inconvenient times.
Hey, we seem to get many unsolicited ecclesiastical visits from his twin brother, Elder Ring the Unconverted's Doorbell and Try to Sell Them Replacement Windows.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Replacement Windows? Now I'm even more confused... are we talking door-to-door salesman here, or door-to-door Microsoft salesman? ;)

We don't get (too many) evangelists here, thank goodness. Although I once had to put up with Brother Pester The Commuter At A Bus Stop And Try To Get Him To Come To A Church Service, and Brother Taunt The Unbeliever In A Railway Station If He Doesn't Instantly Recognise Your Favourite Saint. WTF? *shrug*

We have a very famous elder in the city centre who tends to cycle around and tries to get everyone to repent. I call him Elder Let's Yell At Everyone About How They're All Going To Hell With Fire And Brimstone Unless They Repent Of Their Sins, Amen and Hallelujah, Repeat ad lib! ;)

Feb 4, 2013
Samuel Vimes, the Librarian, and Death.

The Librarian would revolutionize the field of looking after books, an honour beyond honours. Death would be a welcome sight posthumously, especially if one could reincarnate and meet him several times. Sam Vimes is exactly the sort of incorruptible and cunning street copper you'd need to fight inequality and shake up any peacekeeping forces, though admittedly he'd need a bit of luck here and there.

As for visiting: The Librarian and Death I'd absolutely visit for, say, tea. Although the Librarian prefers people who don't wear out books by reading them, at least we'd have the same interests, and it'd be fascinating to learn the ways of apehood. Death combines pleasant civility with morbid philosophy, which would at least make for some curious discussion. Vimes... probably not, if I'm honest. Awesome and morally strong though he is, he's also a workaholic. I doubt he'd be remotely interested in any casual time outside of police work, much less make a good conversationalist.

As for where they'd live: Neighbours would be fine for all of them. Might be tricky in Death's case, being an anthropomorphic personification outside of space-time. And I suppose one could get used to the assassins climbing over one's roof to try (and fail) to kill Vimes while he's shaving.

As for family: Don't see why not, though probably not Vimes'. Nothing against him, mind, but he'd have plenty of enemies looking for ways to get back at him, in which case being a blood relative would make one a target. But Death seems like he'd be a pretty decent if odd relative (give or take what that'd mean in the real world). I don't think it'd make much difference to the Librarian, since apehood is more important and more congenial to him.

I think that should answer all your questions, Mixa.

A

Anonymous

Voted for Librarian and was surprised to find out he's second by popularity in this poll

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Hahaha, yes that's a bit surprising, because in our world we wouldn’t be able to talk to him (I don’t master the “ook” language)

Welcome to the forums by the way, samuellee! ;)

Mx

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Sam Vimes and Granny because I think the world needs people like them now, 'to speak for those without a voice and do for those that can't do themselves'. Nanny just to keep Granny in check to stop her going completely librarian-poo when she sees what is going on.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Whereas Vimes would eliminate the source by cutting through the politicians themselves. What? No, I was referring to his ancestor, Suffer-Not-Injustice Vimes. >:)

Terramax

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2018
I chose both Vetinari and Vimes. It's hard to choose between the two.

Vimes is probably the man we need most right now, whilst Vetinari would make the so much more interesting (especially if he were the Patrician of England).

User Menu

Newsletter