what did you read as a child ?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
wind in the willows was my first book that I read myself, over and over again.
There is a Swedish authour called Sven Nordqvist who writes about an old hermit and his cat findus that my kids loved, I have bought them in English for my brothers sons aswell, really good books.
Allen Garner was an authour I liked when I was round 10-13 really good.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
snowballs said:
james.a.vivian said:
deldaisy said:
Remember Tin Tin? :laugh:
I was more an Asterix and Obelix man myself in fact I still am, not to say that I didn't read Tin Tin
Totally agree with you about Astrix and Obelix. I used to read them while I had detention in the school library.
Have you seen the movies that the french did, there pretty good.
I've bought all the old animated movies in a boxset

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
james.a.vivian said:
snowballs said:
james.a.vivian said:
deldaisy said:
I was more an Asterix and Obelix man myself in fact I still am, not to say that I didn't read Tin Tin
Totally agree with you about Astrix and Obelix. I used to read them while I had detention in the school library.
Seen 1, the kids have it on dvd, that ones funny

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
james.a.vivian said:
snowballs said:
james.a.vivian said:
deldaisy said:
Are you talking about the Asterix movie with Gerard Depierdiu (I have no idea how to spell his name).? Or the cartoons?

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
deldaisy said:
james.a.vivian said:
snowballs said:
james.a.vivian said:
deldaisy said:
Are you talking about the Asterix movie with Gerard Depierdiu (I have no idea how to spell his name).? Or the cartoons?

Yeah him with the big nose.

The first novel-like books (not story-books) I remember really liking were the Green Smoke ones about dragons in Cornwall...I had my mum's copies of them and things like the Silver Brumby and the Jinny Books about horses.

KM Peyton, too, Flambards and Fly By Night.

The Series of Unfortunate Events when I was a bit older...

Should I count H2G2 as I read them when I was about 13?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
ShadowNinjaCat said:
I read Spot the Dog all the time according to my mom.I remember the dog but not really the stories.I remember little bits of some of the stories though . :oops:
My daughter (grown) loved Spot. I had to paint pictures of him for her for her walls. (soo hard :laugh: )
I had learnt to read before I started school and read mhy first novel then i was given this in grade one.....

Dick and Dora

Edit: DUH! This is Dick and Jane WE had Dick and Dora. Where the hell are my glassesDo you KNOW what hell I went through as a child with MY name (D'Lora) so I got called Dee at school for a few years.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
Oh god, Dick and Dora. We had those too, terrible books. I was the same being able to read before I started school and being forced to read those books was a nightmare. Worst when you had to read the bits with Fanny in them as well as Dick, I was allways getting put in the corner for sniggering.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
mystmoon said:
Did anyone else have to read Biff and Chip? (Why do all these kids have ridiculous names?)
Never heard of Biff and Chip. I think in the oldendays when we was young the gave the characters those types of names because they thought they were spiffingly good names.

User Menu

Newsletter