What have you seen recently? 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just watched JoJo Rabbit by Taika Waititi. An odd, but beautiful film about a ten year old German kid during the War, His imaginary friend (Hitler played by Taika Waititi), his subversive mother (Scarlett Johansson - who is wonderful in this) and the young Jewish girl, hiding in their home.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
For the first time in my life, I just watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. A very broad, slapstick comedy adventure, in the traditions of vaudeville. ;) A little long, but funny. I'd recommend it. :)

On the minus side, I just learned that Overboard (1987, with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn) has been remade as exactly the same film, except for a gender flip. In the original, Hawn as the rich and beautiful heiress falls off her yacht, loses her memory and becomes the unwitting wife of the brutish-but-charming Russell, who takes her to his simple home in Oregon. The question is: can they fall in love, and stay in love, before Hawn is found by her uncaring parents and married to a vacuous-and-unloving husband-to-be?

In the remake, the exact same thing happens (down to the home in Oregon), but this time, it's the man who falls overboard, loses his memory, and is rescued by the woman. Exact. Same. Film.

Now, the original was fairly mediocre, but it was redeemed by Hawn's charisma and charm, by Russell's "he-man" act, and by the obvious chemistry between them. That said, it's still not a great film. It's a nice, comfortable, middle-of-the-road film that's become a cult classic, and I like it. But it's no "Citizen Kane", Soylent Green", or "Schindler's List". (Nor does it have to be).

A remake would've been OK if it had something new to say (it doesn't), if the two leading actors have on-screen chemistry (they don't -- the leading man has all the charisma and charm of a limp hot dog), or if anything is changed or added to the plot (it's not). So there was no reason to remake this film, and no reason to watch it.

Sorry to spoil the film, but look on the bright side -- now you don't have to waste two hours of your time on this monstrosity. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
watching Doom Patrol if you've enjoyed Umbrella Acadamy then D.P. has the same vibes
I don't normally like anything from the DC universe but this is really good maybe because
I love almost anything with Brendon Frasure in it

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I've heard some good things about The Queen's Gambit and googled it a bit. Does the idea for the main character remind anyone of Bobby Fischer, at least his early career? He was also orphaned -- or, at least, his father left his mother to raise Bobby (and his sister) all alone.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I really enjoy Discovery, but the thing that I wasn't so keen on, was the lack of character development of the Bridge Crew. I still don't know who half of them are, or their backstories. Indeed, the one who I thought was an android, turned out to be a human is, basically, a life support suit. We don't (unless I missed it) know what happened to her!

I'm currently working through a series of podcasts from Garrett Wang (Harry Kim) and Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) as they re-watch and comment on each episode of Voyager. Well worth checking out, if you love Star Trek. The Delta Flyers.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm currently four episodes into "American Gods" based upon the book by Neil Gaiman. I loved the book version and have to say that I am far from disappointed with this TV movie adaption. I'm loving Ian McShane as Wednesday/Wodan. I thought I had already watched this series, but it's clear that I have only seen parts of it. Well worth a watch.

Nov 21, 2010
I'm currently four episodes into "American Gods" based upon the book by Neil Gaiman. I loved the book version and have to say that I am far from disappointed with this TV movie adaption. I'm loving Ian McShane as Wednesday/Wodan. I thought I had already watched this series, but it's clear that I have only seen parts of it. Well worth a watch.
I couldn't finish the book for some reason so will have to check this out

User Menu

Newsletter