What have you seen recently? 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Watched the first series but have not managed to get back into it sofar.
Yeah, my mother likes Britannia, though it's pretty much the Roman invasion of Britain viewed through a bad acid trip. Love the opening titles, especially of the first season, where they have Hurdy-Gurdy Man as the theme...

I went to see Shang-Chi today. It was a little slow at times, but was an interesting premise that I can see a lot of scope for future films.
I'm honestly astonished at how well they pulled that off. Why? Originally, back in the comics, Shang-Chi was the son of Fu Manchu, aka the embodiment of Yellow Peril. And apparently they've made the Mandarin a more complex character in this too, and given that he has some associations with that stereotype at times, well...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I recently order a DVD of the Swedish horror film, "Let The Right One In." It was a beautifully filmed vampire film, but I can't say I found it particularly scary. Having said that, I did enjoy it. The story was great.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I recently order a DVD of the Swedish horror film, "Let The Right One In." It was a beautifully filmed vampire film, but I can't say I found it particularly scary. Having said that, I did enjoy it. The story was great.
The book was disturbing as hell, but it was a great book. Great film too, both of them.

I rarely watch horror films, though. I can stand reading horror books because my mind partly censors the horror, and video games because (usually) you can fight back against the horror. But horror films are usually not my thing, albeit with exceptions to the rule.

As for vampires being not so scary, clearly you have not played Resident Evil: Village. Alcina Dimitrescu and her three adopted daughters may not be conventionally supernatural vampires, but they tick the boxes, they are scary, and they are persistent. Hell, Alcina actually stalks you around parts of her castle, so you have to be careful to avoid drawing too much attention, a bit like Mr X or the Nemesis from the remakes of previous instalments. And her daughters are basically sentient swarms of horseflies. And the theme that plays around the daughters is basically a ripoff of the Jaws theme, which doesn't help matters.

And then there's the Nasuverse's take on vampires. They're basically descendants of an alien called Crimson Moon Brunestud that was invited from the Moon by Gaia because Gaia felt humans were a threat, and basically needed antibodies. Brunestud's direct descendants are super-vampires known as True Ancestors, while what we consider vampires are Dead Apostles. True, at least one True Ancestor (Arcueid Brunestud from Tsukihime) and one Dead Apostle (Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg, aka Ridcully if he was an impish prankster rather than a Brian Blessed ripoff) are confirmed to be on humanity's side, but vampires in the Nasuverse are feared for a reason. Zelretch got turned into a vampire by Crimson Moon Brunestud himself, and after a battle where Zelretch had to hold back a copy of the Moon. No, really. And another vampire seen briefly in Fate/Apocrypha is a hybrid of Vlad Tepes (who hates being considered a vampire) and a rather immoral mage who usurped his soul, and who had world-ending potential.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Today I saw The Eternals I quite enjoyed it, not what I thought it would be like, definitely a film that made me think the film effects were really good, but the stand out character for me was Gemma Chan who played the part of Sirsi. The good news is there is going to be a sequel.
Forgot to add the sound track was good too, first one I was surprised that Pink Floyd's "Time" fitted in perfectly.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I went to see Venom: Carnage yesterday it was Ok just not as good as I thought it would be, to me there seemed to a bit of a copy in the storyline i.e. the same as in one of the Spiderman films where there is an alter ego of an evil duplicate although this one is Red in a role reversal.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I just watched Matrix Resurrection not quite what I expected just a bit different, it was quite good with the new characters, I'm not sure if I prefer the original films or not, on the fence for that one, I will watch it again at some point then decide.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
So, yesterday I finished watching "A Very English Scandal". I'd never heard of the Thorpe Affair before this, but as I was a baby at the time, that's hardly surprising. ;)

But this (by Peter Cook) basically sums up the judge's attitude throughout the whole case. The script and (especially) the accent make this hilarious. ;)

(Sorry the video embed doesn't work - that's why I linked to it, above).

On the other hand, I'm surprised (but not astonished) that the judge was not struck off for his unprofessional and biased behaviour. What a farce. :mad:

User Menu

Newsletter